TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

app03

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2022
    Hey @app03,

I hope that this question is still live, as I know a few days have passed since you posted it.

My approach would depend on how much I have done in the interim. It is also particular to me (as I know that it works for me- but might not be for everyone!). When I got through to interview with a firm the year prior, but was reapplying, I essentially rewrote my application. I did this for a few reasons. Primarily, I wanted to add quite a few things that I had done since my first application. I know that personally, I write much better when I start over, rather than trying to add things in on a piecemeal basis. I also felt that, for me, adding things in/editing would take longer than re-writing it fully (it's partly just the way my brain works). However, I would likely reuse, if not marginally alter, the structure I implemented before. In my opinion, a strong structure can transform an average application into an exceptional one (and with 850 words it is easy to write a lot without remaining focused).

One practical way that I did use my previous applications was to separate out each sentence in a word document, rather than keeping my previous application as a block of text. I found that I could engage with it more effectively that way. I would then highlight the parts that I felt were particularly good/worthy of recycling.

That being said, if you feel that you can write a strong application without rewriting it fully, then feel free to add things in on a piecemeal basis. I know that for some people this will be preferable. I don't foresee there being an issue with reusing the substantive content of your application either. I would, however, encourage you to write the best application that you can, in light of your experiences in the interim, rather than relying on an application that previously succeeded in passing the initial application stage. I found this tempting but ineffective (as it just took me a lot longer than rewriting). Remember: there is no guarantee that the same application (or a very similar one) will pass the application stage twice in two different application cycles, so it is important to give it your all if you can.

@Jessica Booker and the rest of the team (@James Carrabino and @AvniD) might disagree with the above, so take this advice with a pinch of salt, as it is only my opinion.

I hope that helps though! Very happy to continue this discussion or help with another element of your application if you would like!
    Hi @George Maxwell , I have another question regarding an application to a different firm.

I previously did a VS interview with them and was reapplying for a TC. I was wondering if it is acceptable or appropriate to refer to the interview slightly if I want to make a point in my cover letter?

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is running out of time on a test really detrimental to your application? 😭 I answered 10/12 questions
    Not necessarily - many tests are designed to purposely be tight on time, so much so that a significant proportion of people will not complete the test. It doesn't mean that they fail though. There are many different ways the individual questions could be weighted and marked, and so doing your best and getting 10 questions right could be a better outcome than answering 12 questions and getting two wrong.

Last edited:
    Reactions: MandyAA

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @George Maxwell , I have another question regarding an application to a different firm.

I previously did a VS interview with them and was reapplying for a TC. I was wondering if it is acceptable or appropriate to refer to the interview slightly if I want to make a point in my cover letter?
    Hey @app03,

This is another great question. However, as with many answers on here, this is a subjective opinion (as I don't think there is a right answer).

I think that mentioning a previous interview in a subsequent application can be a very powerful way of demonstrating maturity in addition to showing a willingness to be reflective and develop. Of course, this will depend on what you are planning to say about the previous interview. If you wish to say something akin to 'Since my last interview, I felt like I failed to demonstrate X. Since, I have done Y, illustrating X', I think this could work well.

From experience, I did this and was subsequently invited to interview.

How do you plan on mentioning your VS interview? What are you wanting to say?

Reactions: app03

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Do you think you can talk about a firm's culture for a reason to why you are interested in that law firm if you have worked as a paralegal in that firm and you worked closely on a daily basis with a partner and associates and a tainee. As I know that you can't actually talk about a reason for it being its culture if you have not worked in that law firm before. So just wanted to know would it be a good example for instance in this situation.
    Hey @Asil Ahmad,

I would avoid using the word 'culture' explicitly. I think that it can seem a bit wooly. But mentioning specific things about the firm that you like, backed up by examples, is a fantastic strategy and I think would evidence tangible reasoning as to why you wish to apply to a particular firm. This could be persuasive if done right.

Are you considering mentioning anything in particular? Very happy to give my opinion on this if you would like!

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I have a couple of questions regarding direct applications for training contracts.

1) I am currently applying to Latham, my mentor suggested mentioning biglaw, their prestigious clients and culture but I am not that sure. I stay away from mentioning clients because I find hard to relate it to me unless I refer to the opportunity to work on big deals and learn more (mm). When it comes to culture, I tend to stay away because if I do not have a direct experience of the office environment. So, I connected with some trainees on LinkedIn and hopefully will get some feedback. What are your thoughts on mentioning clients and culture?
    2) I am also applying to Norton Rose, any tips for their small cover letter?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey @Asil Ahmad,

I would avoid using the word 'culture' explicitly. I think that it can seem a bit wooly. But mentioning specific things about the firm that you like, backed up by examples, is a fantastic strategy and I think would evidence tangible reasoning as to why you wish to apply to a particular firm. This could be persuasive if done right.

Are you considering mentioning anything in particular? Very happy to give my opinion on this if you would like!
    I was thinking of mentioning the people for example really approchable and appreciate the work that I do.

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    I have a couple of questions regarding direct applications for training contracts.

1) I am currently applying to Latham, my mentor suggested mentioning biglaw, their prestigious clients and culture but I am not that sure. I stay away from mentioning clients because I find hard to relate it to me unless I refer to the opportunity to work on big deals and learn more (mm). When it comes to culture, I tend to stay away because if I do not have a direct experience of the office environment. So, I connected with some trainees on LinkedIn and hopefully will get some feedback. What are your thoughts on mentioning clients and culture?
    2) I am also applying to Norton Rose, any tips for their small cover letter?
    Hii, regarding Q1, I agree that mentioning prestigious clients and culture can sound impersonal and sometimes too general. However, I find there are some ways you can link them back to your interests and experience and produce a great application.

In terms of clients, of course saying "Beyoncé is a client of Latham's so I want to work there" (true story btw!) would not be particularly convincing. But if the mention of a client ties in nicely to your interest of a practice area or general practice, then by all means include it. In my Latham application, I discussed my interest in the Africa practice, which I knew was strong because the firm advised an African company on a ground-breaking, first-of-its-kind matter. I included the client there to show that I've done my research on the firm, and I know its exceptional strength, which made for a personal and compelling answer.

Regarding culture, yes you won't have experienced it. But you can experience indirectly through speaking to people at the firm, which you are already doing, so that's good to see! Culture is more than whether the people are friendly and genuine. It also includes trainee development, diversity and inclusion initiatives, support/wellbeing and so much more. Some of these things you can find out about on the website, but if you can say you spoke to someone who can attest to the Latham culture, it makes your answer much stronger. Hopefully those trainees will get back to you!

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    In a direct TC app they ask for an academic reference. What shall I do if I'm not in touch and my university tutor has since left the university I went to? Is it weird for me to reach out on Linkedin to ask if they can be my academic reference if I don't even have them on Linkedin? Would it seem too purposeful? Or should I just put down their old uni email I have and pretend I don't know they've left? (so that they won't be able to contact them)

I did have a good relationship with them but fizzled out after I had left and I never kept in touch. For context, I graduated last summer.

LlamaLaw

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 17, 2021
    In a direct TC app they ask for an academic reference. What shall I do if I'm not in touch and my university tutor has since left the university I went to? Is it weird for me to reach out on Linkedin to ask if they can be my academic reference if I don't even have them on Linkedin? Would it seem too purposeful? Or should I just put down their old uni email I have and pretend I don't know they've left? (so that they won't be able to contact them)

I did have a good relationship with them but fizzled out after I had left and I never kept in touch. For context, I graduated last summer.
    You could use either an admin contact for the department you were in, or an admin/registry for the university (like student services). Unless the firm have asked for a detailed reference it's quite likely they're just confirming you studied there and graduated, so getting hold of your tutor won't be necessary

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

You can just get a reference from your academic office - they will just verify your grades - a reference rarely needs to be any more than that.

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    You could use either an admin contact for the department you were in, or an admin/registry for the university (like student services). Unless they firm have asked for a detailed reference it's quite likely they're just confirming you studied there and graduated, so getting hold of your tutor won't be necessary
    You can just get a reference from your academic office - they will just verify your grades - a reference rarely needs to be any more than that.
    Ah okay! Thank you both so much :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and LlamaLaw

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if Kirkland & Ellis TC is full or no longer accepting apps maybe? Deadline is meant to be in July but nothing available on the website. There's an apply button, but when I click in there's no option to actually apply for the TC. It's still up on Law Careers. Would appreciate any insight, thanks all! https://www.lawcareers.net/Solicitors/Kirkland-Ellis-LLP
    This is from their website

B7875F66-7751-4A1E-86B4-1F517D2A5257.jpeg

app03

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2022
    Hey @app03,

This is another great question. However, as with many answers on here, this is a subjective opinion (as I don't think there is a right answer).

I think that mentioning a previous interview in a subsequent application can be a very powerful way of demonstrating maturity in addition to showing a willingness to be reflective and develop. Of course, this will depend on what you are planning to say about the previous interview. If you wish to say something akin to 'Since my last interview, I felt like I failed to demonstrate X. Since, I have done Y, illustrating X', I think this could work well.

From experience, I did this and was subsequently invited to interview.

How do you plan on mentioning your VS interview? What are you wanting to say?
    Hi @George Maxwell,
    That's great to know!

I was thinking of using it more along the lines of getting to know the firm better as I have not yet received a feedback (which is sometimes next week!) so I don't think I can really use it to demonstrate the improvement aspect as of now.

Do you have more thoughts on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    When answering why commercial law do you mention the skills you have gained and that a solicitor might need?
    I don't think this is really answering the question. The question is purely motivational and asking you to explain why you are going to be content in the career. However, I have seen people link what skills they like utilising and how they get fulfilment from certain processes/outcomes as to why they are pursuing the career. But they then don't need to go on any explain why the skill is necessary.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.