TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi All

I need some advice I hope it’s okay to ask on here: I have a VS coming up in a couple weeks but I just got invited to an assessment day for a direct TC for a different firm which falls on the Tuesday of the VS week - I would prefer not to take the full day from the VS (given that the VS is only one week I’d be losing a decent portion of the week for the assessment day). Do you feel it would be appropriate for me to ask grad rec to move my assessment day? I think they have one for another office on a different day. Is there any alternative?
Very appropriate to ask for another AC day - just explain you have a vacation scheme running and given it is a week (and only the second day of your VS) you cannot take the time off. They should understand.

It will only be if they cannot offer you another date that it becomes an issue - and if that is the case, it is just a decision you have to weigh up (although for a 1 week scheme, I'd advise prioritising the vacation scheme over the assessment centre - but that's just my opinion).

• Love
Reactions: George Maxwell and Sarak

NaimK

Valued Member
May 6, 2019
@Jessica Booker

I replied a few hours late to the deadline of confirming my place on the AC for Bird & Bird and then I realised that I failed to properly follow the instructions by not sending to the right email addresses (I directly responded to the person who should have been on cc and didn't send to the main party). I then forwarded that reply message to the main party with appropriate cc about an hour ago upon realising my error.

So I basically sent the initial message just before 4pm (when it should have been before midday today) and then the 'official' message about an hour ago. Do you think they would accept? Is there a chance I can join on another date if they don't confirm me for this AC? In my initial reply, I mentioned that I just started new employment and it took me a bit of time to get confirmation for a day off work.

Reactions: George Maxwell

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
Very appropriate to ask for another AC day - just explain you have a vacation scheme running and given it is a week (and only the second day of your VS) you cannot take the time off. They should understand.

It will only be if they cannot offer you another date that it becomes an issue - and if that is the case, it is just a decision you have to weigh up (although for a 1 week scheme, I'd advise prioritising the vacation scheme over the assessment centre - but that's just my opinion).
I have the same issue as SaraK and that is so frustrating :(

@Jessica Booker does your advice change if it's a 2-week VS? I have a training contract AC (for firm X, after completing a 1 week placement) coming up that falls on the second last day of my 2-week VS (at firm Y), and the AC dates for all of firm X's offices fall on the whole week of my VS.. I'm assuming I have no other options other than to call firm Y and ask for a day off?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have the same issue as SaraK and that is so frustrating :(

@Jessica Booker does your advice change if it's a 2-week VS? I have a training contract AC (for firm X, after completing a 1 week placement) coming up that falls on the second last day of my 2-week VS (at firm Y), and the AC dates for all of firm X's offices fall on the whole week of my VS.. I'm assuming I have no other options other than to call firm Y and ask for a day off?
It doesn’t really change for a two week scheme either unfortunately, especially if you need more than an hour or two off.

However, if the interviewing firm are giving you no flexibility/option, and your preference is with them, then you just have to make a judgement as to whether you ask for the time off.

Be aware the VS firm could say no to the time off anyway.

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
It doesn’t really change for a two week scheme either unfortunately, especially if you need more than an hour or two off.

However, if the interviewing firm are giving you no flexibility/option, and your preference is with them, then you just have to make a judgement as to whether you ask for the time off.

Be aware the VS firm could say no to the time off anyway.
Thank you so much for your reply!

Does this scenario happen a lot and do firms tend to say no to taking days off? And if I decide to ask for the time off, will that affect my chances of getting a TC at the firm? I just wanted to make sure that I consider all relevant factors and weigh the pros and cons before coming to a decision.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply!

Does this scenario happen a lot and do firms tend to say no to taking days off? And if I decide to ask for the time off, will that affect my chances of getting a TC at the firm? I just wanted to make sure that I consider all relevant factors and weigh the pros and cons before coming to a decision.
It happens enough for firms to be asked the question each year.

It really depends how much time you want off and when it is. Taking certain time off from vacation schemes is going to negatively impact your scheme - for instance, all it takes is for there is to a form of assessment on the day you are hoping to take off, and either the firm is going to say no or you are not going to be assessed and therefore risk not converting to a TC.

Ultimately asking for time off to attend another firms assessment centre is risky. The vacation scheme firm are going to ask you whether the other firm has any flexibility with your assessment day first (and rightly so in my opinion). How risky it is depends on many factors though - how much time you need off, when in the scheme it is, how it impacts the work you are doing for a department etc. It may be the case you only need two hours off and you can make the time up that day/week - then it’s not too much of an issue. However, missing most or all of the day (which will be 10% of your vacation scheme for a 2 week scheme) is clearly much more of a problem.

The assessment centre firm are doing this on purpose. By setting an assessment during a time when they know other vacation schemes are running, and particularly on days they know will be difficult for the other firms is a very sly move in my opinion. They are ultimately forcing you to make a decision of them over the other firm, and know the implications of that.

It will ultimately come down to which firm you prefer and whether the firm will give you the time off. If your preference is with the vacation scheme firm, push on the assessment centre firm. If it’s the other way around, be mindful that the vacation scheme firm can still say no anyway.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

In a cover letter, is it recommended that we use headings, or no layout?
Headings are rarely needed - I have seen them used, but vast majority of cover letters work without them and they just take up unnecessary space in my opinion.

It should be a full formal cover letter format though unless you are using some for of text box to submit the cover letter and it doesn’t have the necessary formatting to create an appropriate layout.

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
It happens enough for firms to be asked the question each year.

It really depends how much time you want off and when it is. Taking certain time off from vacation schemes is going to negatively impact your scheme - for instance, all it takes is for there is to a form of assessment on the day you are hoping to take off, and either the firm is going to say no or you are not going to be assessed and therefore risk not converting to a TC.

Ultimately asking for time off to attend another firms assessment centre is risky. The vacation scheme firm are going to ask you whether the other firm has any flexibility with your assessment day first (and rightly so in my opinion). How risky it is depends on many factors though - how much time you need off, when in the scheme it is, how it impacts the work you are doing for a department etc. It may be the case you only need two hours off and you can make the time up that day/week - then it’s not too much of an issue. However, missing most or all of the day (which will be 10% of your vacation scheme for a 2 week scheme) is clearly much more of a problem.

The assessment centre firm are doing this on purpose. By setting an assessment during a time when they know other vacation schemes are running, and particularly on days they know will be difficult for the other firms is a very sly move in my opinion. They are ultimately forcing you to make a decision of them over the other firm, and know the implications of that.

It will ultimately come down to which firm you prefer and whether the firm will give you the time off. If your preference is with the vacation scheme firm, push on the assessment centre firm. If it’s the other way around, be mindful that the vacation scheme firm can still say no anyway.
Thank you for your reply, Jessica. I really appreciate your advice and insight into this.

It's just that I feel reluctant to decline the AC invite after coming this far, and on the other hand risking giving a bad impression to the vac scheme firm for asking for a day off.

I think I will have to phone the vac scheme firm today and fingers crossed we can work something out.

Thank you so much again for your advice and time!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for your reply, Jessica. I really appreciate your advice and insight into this.

It's just that I feel reluctant to decline the AC invite after coming this far, and on the other hand risking giving a bad impression to the vac scheme firm for asking for a day off.

I think I will have to phone the vac scheme firm today and fingers crossed we can work something out.

Thank you so much again for your advice and time!
It is the shame the interviewing firm cannot provide more flexibility - the responsibility really is with them to provide alternative dates rather than your VS firm to accommodate the time off.

When you speak to your VS firm be exceptionally apologetic, explaining that the interviewing firm are not giving you any flexibility and explain you'll be happy either to take unpaid leave/use your holiday allowance (if you have one - you might not where the scheme is only 2 weeks) and/or make the time up across the rest of the week.

Be prepared for them to say no though too!

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
It is the shame the interviewing firm cannot provide more flexibility - the responsibility really is with them to provide alternative dates rather than your VS firm to accommodate the time off.

When you speak to your VS firm be exceptionally apologetic, explaining that the interviewing firm are not giving you any flexibility and explain you'll be happy either to take unpaid leave/use your holiday allowance (if you have one - you might not where the scheme is only 2 weeks) and/or make the time up across the rest of the week.

Be prepared for them to say no though too!
Thank you for your reply, Jessica!

I was thinking to wait until my scheme on Monday so I could speak face to face with the Grad Rec team, but now I think I should call them ahead of the scheme.

Thank you for letting me know what I should say in the call - it really is a daunting experience!

I really appreciate your advice and patience on this - thank you so much again!

George Maxwell

Administrator
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 50
Oct 25, 2021

I was thinking to wait until my scheme on Monday so I could speak face to face with the Grad Rec team, but now I think I should call them ahead of the scheme.

Thank you for letting me know what I should say in the call - it really is a daunting experience!

Hey @ashleigh22,

Just to reiterate what Jess has said, I think this is a really tough position to be put in. I think Jess's advice about being exceptionally apologetic is strong. I would ready for the firm to ask you whether you remain committed to them if you are still interviewing elsewhere etc.

Please do let us know how the conversation goes. I will be thinking of you 🚀

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I would call them ahead. You know about it now and you'll get an answer earlier than if you speak to them on the first day. You then have more time to work around it if they say no (and you then have to find a solution with the interviewing firm) or if you need to make time up during the rest of the scheme.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD and George Maxwell
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.