TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
Hey @ashleigh22,

Just to reiterate what Jess has said, I think this is a really tough position to be put in. I think Jess's advice about being exceptionally apologetic is strong. I would ready for the firm to ask you whether you remain committed to them if you are still interviewing elsewhere etc.

Please do let us know how the conversation goes. I will be thinking of you 🚀
I would call them ahead. You know about it now and you'll get an answer earlier than if you speak to them on the first day. You then have more time to work around it if they say no (and you then have to find a solution with the interviewing firm) or if you need to make time up during the rest of the scheme.
Thank you so much @George Maxwell and @Jessica Booker!

It really means a lot to have someone/a platform to turn to for advice, especially as someone who has zero experience in dealing with issues like this!

One last quick question: is it more appropriate/polite that I email the Grad Rec team before calling them? Or can I just call the number that is provided in the correspondences sent by the firm without 'making an appointment'?

Thank you again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much @George Maxwell and @Jessica Booker!

It really means a lot to have someone/a platform to turn to for advice, especially as someone who has zero experience in dealing with issues like this!

One last quick question: is it more appropriate/polite that I email the Grad Rec team before calling them? Or can I just call the number that is provided in the correspondences sent by the firm without 'making an appointment'?

Thank you again!
My approach would be to try and call and see if you can get hold of someone - it really isn't an issue to try and call them, it is just whether someone is available (you don't need to call to arrange an appointment).

If you can't get hold of someone/it rings through to voicemail or something, then send an email, saying you'd like to speak to someone about potentially having to take time off from your vacation scheme and that you are keen to discuss it with someone over the phone. You can also give them your availability as to when they can call you back.

Reactions: George Maxwell

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
My approach would be to try and call and see if you can get hold of someone - it really isn't an issue to try and call them, it is just whether someone is available (you don't need to call to arrange an appointment).

If you can't get hold of someone/it rings through to voicemail or something, then send an email, saying you'd like to speak to someone about potentially having to take time off from your vacation scheme and that you are keen to discuss it with someone over the phone. You can also give them your availability as to when they can call you back.
Got it, thank you so much!! I will give them a ring tomorrow.

golden99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 1, 2021
Hi there, for the freshfields summer training contract application it says if you did not study law at undergrad you must be a GDL/PGDL graduate. I am currently studying a masters in law (which is basically the GDL but with some stuff added on), but have deferred some exams till august due to illness. Would this qualify me ?

@Jessica Booker

Miki3999

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    I just had my TI with Dentons and wanted to find you if it’s ok if I talked a lot during that interview (like 5-6 mins per question) because I feel like the lady did not ask all questions because of me talking. Had to share because #overthinkingmuch

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker and @George Maxwell,

I've phoned the VS firm! I had an open and honest conversation with the firm saying that I am really, really keen on securing a TC with the firm after meeting them on several occasions but at this point of my career, I really wanted to explore my options and seize all opportunities before making a decision, and that the AC firm couldn't offer me flexibility. The firm were very understanding and told me not to worry at all as clashes do often occur. I mentioned that I am happy and ready to start work earlier and finish later, but I was told that the only thing that is scheduled on that day is my exit interview, which the firm would happily reschedule for me.

Ready to work 10x harder on the VS to make up for a day missed and also am prepared to answer questions in relation to my commitment to the firm since they know that I am interviewing elsewhere! But I will definitely enjoy the scheme regardless 😊

Thank you Jess and George again for listening and helping me on this!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I've phoned the VS firm! I had an open and honest conversation with the firm saying that I am really, really keen on securing a TC with the firm after meeting them on several occasions but at this point of my career, I really wanted to explore my options and seize all opportunities before making a decision, and that the AC firm couldn't offer me flexibility. The firm were very understanding and told me not to worry at all as clashes do often occur. I mentioned that I am happy and ready to start work earlier and finish later, but I was told that the only thing that is scheduled on that day is my exit interview, which the firm would happily reschedule for me.

Ready to work 10x harder on the VS to make up for a day missed and also am prepared to answer questions in relation to my commitment to the firm since they know that I am interviewing elsewhere! But I will definitely enjoy the scheme regardless 😊

Really pleased the VS firm are showing you the flexibility and understanding - this to me says a lot about the firm. That type of attitude is likely to transfer across other aspects of your training.

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
    Really pleased the VS firm are showing you the flexibility and understanding - this to me says a lot about the firm. That type of attitude is likely to transfer across other aspects of your training.
    I felt so relieved the moment the firm told me not to worry! And pleased that the firm were willing to explain to me what I would be missing out and assure me that taking a day off will not be detrimental to my chances of securing a TC (I mean, if it gives off a bad impression in any way when I explain to members of the firm on the VS why I would be/was absent, I guess it's just fate 🙂). Just so grateful that none of the 'assessed' exercises fall on that day 😅

Alison C

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Hiya, I'm just wondering if anyone knows when the slaughter and may TC deadline is?
    Just in case anyone else is looking at doing this, you are only eligible for this Slaughter and May round if you are an ACTUAL LAW UNDERGRAD. I've just wasted a load of time doing (and submitting) an application, unaware of this. Most firms have an opening section which makes it clear if you need to meet certain criteria but, unless I am very much mistaken, this does not and it really wasn't clear from the research sources I was using (eg Chambers, the S and M website, LCN.net etc etc). Perhaps it was my attention to detail that let me down? The fact that space for the GDL was on the form, with no reference to it being irrelevant, somewhat contradicts this but I am always prepared to be wrong.

The GDL (according to S amd M grad rec) does not count as a 'qualifying law degree'.

On the upside, they are extremely quick to respond.

Bethany

Star Member
    Dec 30, 2020
    Hi all, does anyone know if penultimate year law students are allowed to apply for Hogan Lovells 2024 direct TC (deadline: 31 july 2022)? Or is this application window only open to final year law students graduating this year?
    Graduate recruitment confirmed that the apps that open on 1 June and close on 31 July is for students who are currently studying/have studied law at University or who have already completed the GDL.

Can anyone post the app questions for this app? I want to prepare for them without having to fill in the rest of the details for the time being

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021

Ashleigh this is fantastic news! I am so pleased for you. Well done for having the maturity and confidence to ask the firm. I am sure that you will have impressed by being open and honest about your situation.

And you are absolutely welcome! We are delighted to help ☺️☺️

CorporateLawBeginner

Standard Member
    Jun 16, 2022
    Does anyone have any insight into the Bird & Bird AC? It consists of an online written assignment and a group activity/interview. I was wondering if anyone could provide any details about these tasks as I am unsure how to prepare for them.

ashleigh22

Jan 23, 2022
    Ashleigh this is fantastic news! I am so pleased for you. Well done for having the maturity and confidence to ask the firm. I am sure that you will have impressed by being open and honest about your situation.

And you are absolutely welcome! We are delighted to help ☺️☺️
    Thank you so much, George!! I really appreciate your kind words ☺️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.