TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lildumpling

Dec 5, 2020
Received a WG invite from bates wells 🥹 surprised but definitely delighted as I love the firm, I’ve struggled with WG tests in the past so if anyone could share their favourite resources they like to use for practice I’m all ears!

Reactions: djqb

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
Feb 1, 2022
i've just gotten rejected from a paralegal position for a firm that I was considering applying for a training contract for? Would this have any impact / would you recommend that I still apply for a direct training contract at the firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
i've just gotten rejected from a paralegal position for a firm that I was considering applying for a training contract for? Would this have any impact / would you recommend that I still apply for a direct training contract at the firm?
I would still apply - the recruitment process are very different. Firms can be quite particular with paralegal roles, and it’s highly likely what they are looking for will be different to a training contract role.

Reactions: AvniD

Barnsworth

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2021
    • Love
    Reactions: lildumpling

Vacationschemeapps

Esteemed Member
    Jul 23, 2020
    Hello @Jessica Booker and team,

I'm on a non QLD. My TC law firm does not need me to sit for PGDL but is asking only that I do a foundation course tied into my SQE preparation. I was surprised to see however that quite a lot of firms still need people like me to do a PGDL+SQE!!

Do you think there will be any detriment to this? Should this impact my decision of choosing between two TC offers? (Where the other firm has PGDL+SQE route)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hello @Jessica Booker and team,

I'm on a non QLD. My TC law firm does not need me to sit for PGDL but is asking only that I do a foundation course tied into my SQE preparation. I was surprised to see however that quite a lot of firms still need people like me to do a PGDL+SQE!!

Do you think there will be any detriment to this? Should this impact my decision of choosing between two TC offers? (Where the other firm has PGDL+SQE route)
    Are you doing a law degree, it is just that it is a non QLD?

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Received a WG invite from bates wells 🥹 surprised but definitely delighted as I love the firm, I’ve struggled with WG tests in the past so if anyone could share their favourite resources they like to use for practice I’m all ears!
    Hey @lildumpling, linking my post on WGs here to help you prep! ✌️

• Love
    Reactions: lildumpling

WAL007

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 19, 2022
    [I have copied the same post in the vacation scheme forum]

Hi Guys, hope everyone is well.

I have a TC interview coming in and for it, I need to do a written exercise, a presentation and an interview. I am little bit worried about the written exercise as when I was speaking to future trainees and trainees solicitors, they said the written exercise will be a statement made like an exam type question and we will have 55 minutes to assess both sides of argument and draw own conclusion. Has anyone in this forum been exposed to this sort of written exercise and can you kindly provide tips as to how I can prepare for this? Also, it would be really helpful if anyone can please send a copy of a exercise that is similar to the one I have which I can then practice on?

Many thanks,

AT

Reactions: George Maxwell

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    [I have copied the same post in the vacation scheme forum]

Hi Guys, hope everyone is well.

I have a TC interview coming in and for it, I need to do a written exercise, a presentation and an interview. I am little bit worried about the written exercise as when I was speaking to future trainees and trainees solicitors, they said the written exercise will be a statement made like an exam type question and we will have 55 minutes to assess both sides of argument and draw own conclusion. Has anyone in this forum been exposed to this sort of written exercise and can you kindly provide tips as to how I can prepare for this? Also, it would be really helpful if anyone can please send a copy of a exercise that is similar to the one I have which I can then practice on?

Many thanks,

AT
    Hi @WAL007,

I haven't heard of this format of WE before honestly. However, I don't think that your approach to this should be substantively any different (in terms of structure) to a normal WE. I would advise that you do an executive summary and conclusion as normal. Employ subheadings too. For example, if you want to be very formulaic about it, you could write the following:

Argument 1 (replace with appropriate sub-title)
    Summary
    For
    Against
    Evaluation

Repeat for Argument 2

You could also pursue a SWOT/PESTLE analysis.

@James Carrabino has written some fantastic content on things to consider in evaluating different arguments, such as this.

In terms of how to practice, I would consider having a look at the written part of the Oxford University Thinking Skills Assessment. From what I remember it was very similar to this and I am sure there are practice questions online. This is a resource produced by Christ Church on the TSA which might be helpful.

I hope that you find this useful AT. Let me know if you could like any further thoughts 🏆

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.