TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I was just invited to the written assessment by SH. Would it be alright if I attended the written assessment whilst keeping the Macfarlanes offer on hold or is this against any specific code?
The code is voluntary anyway - no one has to stick to it, but even if you chose to, it doesn’t apply to you until you have accepted a TC.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Once accepting a TC is that specifically disallowed? Could it have bad consequences
You are technically supposed to withdraw from any other recruitment processes.

The code is voluntary - because of that, there are no consequences if you decide not to.

Reactions: JayC

DaN_97_

M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
  • Jul 1, 2020
    I was starting to think I'd never be able to say this but - I've just been offered a training contract at one of my top choice firms!!

I'm still in a slight state of disbelief and shock as I was thinking about giving up after this cycle, and I just wanted to let people know who may be feeling disheartened after rejections and not know where they're going wrong - this was my fourth cycle. I have loads of paralegal and non-legal experience and despite a couple of final round interviews early on I didn't get beyond application form stage for ages, and could not figure out where I was going wrong.

To be honest I still don't know! Application forms that I thought were v strong got nowhere, and firms I thought I was perfect for because of my experience still rejected me. 10 mins after I got the call to offer me the TC I got rejected by another firm at application form stage! This process is really demoralising, but I'm proof that if you keep at it you'll eventually get there.

I am by no means an expert but here is what I've learned:

- application forms are a skill in themselves (which is something I didn't realise for a long time) - use resources on TCLA and youtube (I can recommend some videos I used) to break down what makes a good answer.
    - figure out your weaknesses and work on them. as a slightly older applicant (I did other things in my early-mid 20s) my commitment to law was questioned a lot. I now have three years of paralegal experience to back my interest in law despite my earlier career path, and that's been really helpful in interviews.
    - sometimes you can do everything right and it still won't work out: my second cycle I got through three intense interviews to the final round at one firm and (as I thought) nailed every assessment, but got told in my feedback that I "didn't seem committed enough to the firm". I still find that one baffling because it was genuinely my first choice at the time and if they really thought that why take me all the way through to the final interview?!
    - there is no magic formula to this, it's just a lot of hard work and (I think) a lot of luck.

I'm super happy to send people resources I found helpful/generally chat if you're struggling with the process.

Also - this is the first year I've used TCLA and I have found it all hugely helpful - but special thanks to @Jessica Booker, @Jacob Miller @Dheepa @Jaysen for answering my questions with so much patience as I'm sure they're ones they've been asked a million times before.
    Hi pbyrne!

Congrats on the TC!

Would you mind sharing which YouTube videos you found useful when writing ur apps??

Thanks!

Reactions: Dawn

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I'm still shaking but I was just offered a TC from Macfarlanes! Had a SH interview 20 minutes later in which I completely just lost focus but I can't believe I am here right now and honestly I am just shocked beyond belief. TCLA has been such a huge help and if anyone needs any help just PM me. :)
    Congratulations!!! I know you’ve been around the forums for awhile now so it’s really nice to see you get the success you deserve - super excited for you!!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anybody know how long it takes Freshfields to get back to people post AC?
    From my experience was anything from a couple of hours through to a couple of weeks. Sometimes it took time for the feedback to come through or discussions to be had on candidates, depending on your interviewers’ availability.

They typically try to get back to people as soon as possible though.

Reactions: Saitama

Saitama

Standard Member
    Aug 21, 2021
    From my experience was anything from a couple of hours through to a couple of weeks. Sometimes it took time for the feedback to come through or discussions to be had on candidates, depending on your interviewers’ availability.

They typically try to get back to people as soon as possible though.
    Thanks for the response! Yeah, I'm just nervously anticipating a response, as that was my first ever AC!

ArashSh

Standard Member
    Jul 26, 2021
    Do you need to hear back?

How long since you applied?
    I did my SJT on April 30 (that's automatic post app for all BCLP applicants).
    Don't necessarily need to hear back immediately but BCLP is one of the only remaining firms in this cycle for me that I have hopes of getting to their interview round and would be my top choice so I don't want to start sending out vac scheme apps for the next cycle before that is settled. That's why it would help me to know where I'm at and only start other apps if BCLP is not successful this cycle.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I did my SJT on April 30 (that's automatic post app for all BCLP applicants).
    Don't necessarily need to hear back immediately but BCLP is one of the only remaining firms in this cycle for me that I have hopes of getting to their interview round and would be my top choice so I don't want to start sending out vac scheme apps for the next cycle before that is settled. That's why it would help me to know where I'm at and only start other apps if BCLP is not successful this cycle.
    Given it’s nearly four months, I’d contact them.

Reactions: Holly and ArashSh
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.