TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SS1

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Nov 5, 2020
Just got a PFO from Freshfields. They were 'the one', really gutted!
The TC application process takes so much out of you, especially when you end the year without any TC's. I hate how hopeful I get every time!
Oh Sorry to hear- I think we've all been there, it really is exhausting! 😩 would you mind me asking if this was post app/vi/or ac?

Reactions: APP

gcc07

Aug 26, 2021
Hey all! Got PFO from Orrick this morning, was expecting at least get the WG invite. 😞 Anyway, that's my last application. Not sure if I want to go through another cycle again, hoping to get some input. Some firms PFO after WG and Reed Smith PFO after written interview(the 2nd stage following the app).Is it worth it to try these firms again in the next cycle?

Matt_96

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Just got a PFO from Freshfields. They were 'the one', really gutted!
    The TC application process takes so much out of you, especially when you end the year without any TC's. I hate how hopeful I get every time!

As a friendly piece of advice from someone who took three cycles to get any offers, I strongly recommend not getting too invested into one particular law firm. It's not worth it when you get that PFO! It's sod's law that the apps you put the most effort into are the ones you'll be dumped on the quickest.

The best thing you can do is keep your eyes on the overall prize (getting any TC at a commercial firm) and be ruthless and clinical about rejections. Once you've figured out what works for you in terms of filling in the application forms bash them out and don't look back.

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hey all! Got PFO from Orrick this morning, was expecting at least get the WG invite. 😞 Anyway, that's my last application. Not sure if I want to go through another cycle again, hoping to get some input. Some firms PFO after WG and Reed Smith PFO after written interview(the 2nd stage following the app).Is it worth it to try these firms again in the next cycle?

Yes. If you didn't get a face to face interview I would assume you are safe to apply again. Even if you do get to a face to face interview, some firms may still let you apply again, but it depends on the firm and their individual recruitment policies.

Just make sure you update your app and don't submit exactly the same one!

Reactions: gcc07
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.