TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djqb

Legendary Member
Sep 6, 2020
Is anyone still waiting for a response from Ashurst for the direct TC applications? Should I assume recruitment is over for that considering the opening of the winter vac scheme applications?
If anyone is waiting on Ashurst, they just got back to me on an email I sent a while back. They're in the final stages of reviewing applications- so I assume successful applicants would hear soon!
☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Nad2468-

Aug 11, 2021
TC offer from Browne Jacobson 😭😭😭this has taken me four years of applications to this firm, dealing with homelessness, bereavement and mental health in the process. I honestly never thought I would see this day coming, and have checked TCLA religiously (and on my birthday) at least four times a week up until this point (will probably keep checking 😂).

I have saved all of my applications, and would be happy to share with anyone that is interested for next cycle, also really happy to chat or just listen because this process is really tough, and I wouldn’t have gotten here without the help I’ve received from this forum. Please reach out ❤️!

A M

Distinguished Member
Dec 28, 2020
TC offer from Browne Jacobson 😭😭😭this has taken me four years of applications to this firm, dealing with homelessness, bereavement and mental health in the process. I honestly never thought I would see this day coming, and have checked TCLA religiously (and on my birthday) at least four times a week up until this point (will probably keep checking 😂).

I have saved all of my applications, and would be happy to share with anyone that is interested for next cycle, also really happy to chat or just listen because this process is really tough, and I wouldn’t have gotten here without the help I’ve received from this forum. Please reach out ❤️!
Congratulations on the offer. Can I PM you regarding the applications. I am struggling to get myself past the application stage, hence it would be really helpful to see some successful ones.

Reactions: Nad2468-

Life&Law

Star Member
Mar 24, 2021

Well done girl! PFO email for me, but really happy for you 😁

• 🤝
Reactions: OB and A M

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Congratulations! This is fantastic news and I am delighted for you. Hard work and perseverance pays off!

jimmy fallon lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys, I was invited to Dentons' AC for this Thursday but just received an email from the grad recruitment team saying that due to unforeseen circumstances, my AC has been postponed to January next year and it will still be for the 2023 intake...wonder if anyone else has received the same news? Not sure if this is an indication on my application being weaker than others or if I'm just overthinking it?
Probably nothing to do with you as an applicant. It is more likely to be either

1) resource - unfortunately there are not enough graduate recruiters in the market these days, and if someone has left the team it could easily be that they don’t have the people to run the ACs for the time being.

2) something to do with the SQE - depending how the firm plans to transition to the SQE, that might postpone assessment centres just because they are trying to work out how the SQE impacts offers

3) something as simple as extended lockdowns or an office breakout of Covid-19 shutting the office down for a period of time.

The key for me is they are delaying your AC not cancelling it altogether which suggests it is something to do with them rather than you as a candidate.

ellensdaleoriginal

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Dec 23, 2020
If an interview is with 3 partners and includes an article for discussion, is it less likely to be focused on competency-based questions and more on my motivations for a career in law and that firm etc? With only a day and a half until the interview and working a full-time job preparation time is limited! Does anyone have any advice on what (if any) area I should be focusing more of my time on?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    If an interview is with 3 partners and includes an article for discussion, is it less likely to be focused on competency-based questions and more on my motivations for a career in law and that firm etc? With only a day and a half until the interview and working a full-time job preparation time is limited! Does anyone have any advice on what (if any) area I should be focusing more of my time on?

From my experience partner led interviews are a lot more focused on your motivations. You may still get one or two competency questions but it's unlikely to be fully competency based.

• 🤝
    Reactions: ellensdaleoriginal

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it only one interview? What other assessments are you having if there are others? Have you had earlier interviews?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    There are two interviews. The first is the one I mentioned above with three partners and a discussion about an article. If you are successful, there is a 1-to-1 interview with a partner.
    I’d expect the first interview to be more focused on the article then. I would expect the second interview to be more competency based/motivational based. However, the article interview could be a hybrid of article, competency and motivational.

• 🤝
    Reactions: ellensdaleoriginal

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 4, 2020
    I just wanted to ask @Jessica Booker, can I apply for a UK-based training contract whilst serving a training contract overseas?

I understand that firms like Slaughter and May have a strict policy of not considering candidates that have accepted training contract offers at other firms.

But in my case, I'm intending to apply for Slaughter's 2024 intake, which is a long way off from the end of my current legal training contract based overseas, which ends in January 2022.

Was hoping you'd be able to provide some guidance, because I'm keen to get on this cycle of applications so that I can get qualified overseas and then work on getting qualified in the UK right away.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I just wanted to ask @Jessica Booker, can I apply for a UK-based training contract whilst serving a training contract overseas?

I understand that firms like Slaughter and May have a strict policy of not considering candidates that have accepted training contract offers at other firms.

But in my case, I'm intending to apply for Slaughter's 2024 intake, which is a long way off from the end of my current legal training contract based overseas, which ends in January 2022.

Was hoping you'd be able to provide some guidance, because I'm keen to get on this cycle of applications so that I can get qualified overseas and then work on getting qualified in the UK right away.
    It wouldn’t make sense for you to apply for a training contract as you’d be a qualified lawyer by the time you could start a TC in the UK. You’d need to consider applying for qualified lawyer roles (and taking the SQE). You don’t need qualifying work experience alongside the SQE examinations if you are qualified in another jurisdiction, so there is no reason in bringing you into a trainee role.

thelegalsieve

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 4, 2020
    It wouldn’t make sense for you to apply for a training contract as you’d be a qualified lawyer by the time you could start a TC in the UK. You’d need to consider applying for qualified lawyer roles (and taking the SQE). You don’t need qualifying work experience alongside the SQE examinations if you are qualified in another jurisdiction, so there is no reason in bringing you into a trainee role.
    Actually the qualification route in the country I'm in is very unfavourable to UK graduates, with only a pass rate of 40% each year - and there's a study period after I end my contract in 2022 that would bring me beyond March 2024. What I'm doing is more of a failsafe because I wasn't able to secure a UK TC ahead of graduating.

So in this case it's really a matter of me dropping everything I'm doing at the moment if I get through with a UK TC, hence my question - would it be acceptable to firms if I disclose in my applications that I'm currently a legal trainee in a foreign jurisdiction? I'm not sure if, for example, Slaughter's policy might not apply since it isn't strictly a comparable UK TC. But would appreciate any general advice you might have @Jessica Booker.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.