TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reyak

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2018
With questions like "What are the top five skills you believe a trainee needs to be a successful commercial lawyer and why?", is there a general expectation that you provide your own example of demonstrating each skill that you mention, even if the question doesn't directly ask for your own examples?

The answer is limited to 2000 characters and I am finding it difficult to explain five skills, let alone provide examples of when I have demonstrated them!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
With questions like "What are the top five skills you believe a trainee needs to be a successful commercial lawyer and why?", is there a general expectation that you provide your own example of demonstrating each skill that you mention, even if the question doesn't directly ask for your own examples?

The answer is limited to 2000 characters and I am finding it difficult to explain five skills, let alone provide examples of when I have demonstrated them!
It is not asking you to provide your own examples so I would not do so! It is just seeking to know whether you understand the role :)

Reactions: Reyak and AvniD

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

No - there is not a requirement to do this. If they wanted this information it would be included in the question. They just want to see you understand the realities of the job.

Reactions: Reyak

Reyak

Premium Member
Sep 13, 2018
No - there is not a requirement to do this. If they wanted this information it would be included in the question. They just want to see you understand the realities of the job.
It is not asking you to provide your own examples so I would not do so! It is just seeking to know whether you understand the role :)
Thanks v much both!

• Love
Reactions: James Carrabino

emmashardlow

Jan 3, 2021
Hi!

I applied to Slaughter and May for a direct TC in 2024 and recently received an email from graduate recruitment saying that they would get back to me with an outcome in February. However, they also said that I could email to ask for an earlier response if I am interviewing with any other firm. They added that I don't have to accept any TC offers from any firms until September 15th, theoretically giving me time to wait and consider my options in the event that I do end up being interviewed by Slaughters.

I have interviews in January with Herbert Smith Freehills and Clifford Chance and I don't know whether its worth emailing Slaughter and May to ask for an earlier response or not.

Is anyone else in a similar situation or does anyone have any advice on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi!

I applied to Slaughter and May for a direct TC in 2024 and recently received an email from graduate recruitment saying that they would get back to me with an outcome in February. However, they also said that I could email to ask for an earlier response if I am interviewing with any other firm. They added that I don't have to accept any TC offers from any firms until September 15th, theoretically giving me time to wait and consider my options in the event that I do end up being interviewed by Slaughters.

I have interviews in January with Herbert Smith Freehills and Clifford Chance and I don't know whether its worth emailing Slaughter and May to ask for an earlier response or not.

Is anyone else in a similar situation or does anyone have any advice on this?
Are you a penultimate year undergraduate?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm a final year undergraduate
Then Slaughters aren’t quite correct in their logic.

If all firms do stick to the 15th September rule (many don’t) then that only applies to people who are in the penultimate year of their undergraduate degree. People in their final year or who have graduated only have 4 weeks to accept an offer (based on the code of best recruitment practice that Slaughters are referring to with the 15th September).

So I would go back to them to inform them you have interviews coming up, because technically the code they are referring to means you haven’t got until the 15th September.

• ℹ️
Reactions: AvniD

emmashardlow

Jan 3, 2021
Then Slaughters aren’t quite correct in their logic.

If all firms do stick to the 15th September rule (many don’t) then that only applies to people who are in the penultimate year of their undergraduate degree. People in their final year or who have graduated only have 4 weeks to accept an offer (based on the code of best recruitment practice that Slaughters are referring to with the 15th September).

So I would go back to them to inform them you have interviews coming up, because technically the code they are referring to means you haven’t got until the 15th September.
Thank you so much!

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
Jan 20, 2021
Happy New Year!!🎉

I could do with some help approaching this question please:

Describe how you feel you demonstrate commercial awareness and provide specific examples

I’ve never had a question ask how I demonstrate commercial awareness so I’m not too sure exactly what they are looking for here

Any guidance is appreciated 💕

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Happy New Year!!🎉

I could do with some help approaching this question please:

Describe how you feel you demonstrate commercial awareness and provide specific examples

I’ve never had a question ask how I demonstrate commercial awareness so I’m not too sure exactly what they are looking for here

Any guidance is appreciated 💕
Try to think of any examples where a commercial considerations or an outcome were needed, even if it was on a really minor scale.

For instance, have you had to sell something and think about how you would maximise sales? Have you had to consider who your target audience/customer base was? Have you come up with a way of doing something that either saved time or money? Have you had to consider the costs of something and found a cheaper way of doing something to make it less expensive?

I have seen examples from organising school events, to bake sales, to waitressing roles, through to things in a professional working environment, as well as things as academic modules, commercial awareness competitions and generally reading/writing commercial topics regularly.

It really doesn’t matter what the examples are, just that you have an eye for making things the best they can be to maximise the outcome, or that you just like absorbing commercial topics.

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and MandyAA

MandyAA

Distinguished Member
Jan 20, 2021
Try to think of any examples where a commercial considerations or an outcome were needed, even if it was on a really minor scale.

For instance, have you had to sell something and think about how you would maximise sales? Have you had to consider who your target audience/customer base was? Have you come up with a way of doing something that either saved time or money? Have you had to consider the costs of something and found a cheaper way of doing something to make it less expensive?

I have seen examples from organising school events, to bake sales, to waitressing roles, through to things in a professional working environment, as well as things as academic modules, commercial awareness competitions and generally reading/writing commercial topics regularly.

It really doesn’t matter what the examples are, just that you have an eye for making things the best they can be to maximise the outcome, or that you just like absorbing commercial topics.
Thank you Jessica!!!

jv1999

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 11, 2021
When does Freshfields conduct interviews for people applying to direct TC 2024? The application deadline is 6th Jan but am wondering when the process concludes?

Yas

Aug 10, 2021
When does Freshfields conduct interviews for people applying to direct TC 2024? The application deadline is 6th Jan but am wondering when the process concludes?
This will vary! It’s worth bearing in mind that Freshfields recruit on a non-rolling basis, so they will wait until the application deadline before sending out Watson Glaser invites and then AC invites.

I applied in the summer window and I think it took me about 2 weeks post-deadline to get the WG invite and then a week to get my AC invite! The AC dates were 1-2 weeks away. However the WG and AC invites were sent out in batches so some people heard back a bit earlier than others; which is pretty natural with these kind of things!

Overall there was about 6 weeks between the app deadline and me accepting my TC with Freshfields - but do bear in mind I applied in the much shorter summer window so your experience might be quite different!

• ℹ️
Reactions: Asil Ahmad

jv1999

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 11, 2021
This will vary! It’s worth bearing in mind that Freshfields recruit on a non-rolling basis, so they will wait until the application deadline before sending out Watson Glaser invites and then AC invites.

I applied in the summer window and I think it took me about 2 weeks post-deadline to get the WG invite and then a week to get my AC invite! The AC dates were 1-2 weeks away. However the WG and AC invites were sent out in batches so some people heard back a bit earlier than others; which is pretty natural with these kind of things!

Overall there was about 6 weeks between the app deadline and me accepting my TC with Freshfields - but do bear in mind I applied in the much shorter summer window so your experience might be quite different!
Was not expecting such a detailed breakdown! Thank you so much.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.