TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
CMS is non-rolling this year since they changed to a direct TC process. AC will not be filled before the deadline. This was confirmed my GR.

They advise not to rush the application and research the firm thoroughly before applying, this would also help with the VI and AC.
Can I confirm this will be the same for firms like CC and A&O? As in, they don't review apps before the deadline? Thanks!

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
CMS is non-rolling this year since they changed to a direct TC process. AC will not be filled before the deadline. This was confirmed my GR.

They advise not to rush the application and research the firm thoroughly before applying, this would also help with the VI and AC.
For anyone applying to CMS Dubai, they are rolling. They got back to me with an outcome only a few days after I applied.

mandamasochist

Standard Member
Jan 15, 2023
Neither have I - I think someone previously mentioned that they were dealing with people who had failed the SQE. I think we will hear from them soon as I assume they will offer people on the WVS tc places.

I have spotted a typo in my current app so I think I am going to amend and apply for the 2026 tc as I believe they are rolling and I don't want to miss out.

I think their email is: [email protected].
Thanks for your response. Seems hard to believe they'd wait 5 months to get back to people who applied for the last cycle. Did you do your application near the deadline?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
for a 'why X firm?' question, is it ok to start off with the fact that the firm performs particularly well in a certain practice area I'm interested in?
Yes, totally! I would try to substantiate this linking it back to you, your interests, your background and your professional experiences that made you like this practice area. This is necessary to distinguish yourself from other candidates who have probably highlighted the same practice area.

Good luck with the application cycle!

Reactions: flower

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
for a 'why X firm?' question, is it ok to start off with the fact that the firm performs particularly well in a certain practice area I'm interested in?
Yes - but remember to link it back to you. The firm knows it performs well in certain practice areas, but they don’t know why that is important to you.

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    Yup! You can reference reputable legal directories such as Legal 500 to back up your point. You can also have a look and see if the firm/a particular lawyer has received an award for that practice area too. Make sure you link it back to yourself/why this area interests you! :)

Reactions: flower

flower

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 31, 2023
    I'm practising an answer for 'why X firm?', and to mirror the typical format of VIs I've given myself a 1 minute limit. I'm honestly finding it so difficult to talk about a range of factors because of the time constraints, and I can literally only discuss one factor (a particular practice area) without coming across like I'm going through a shopping list. I'm anxious that only discussing 1 factor will come across as not having researched the firm in enough depth, does anyone have any advise regarding this?

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019

Thanks for sharing this! So does this mean that they are giving out all post-app responses after the deadline? Or will some be progressed to WG, VI etc before the deadline?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.