TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
I tried to scour the forum yesterday to find anyone who reached the next stage of the process with a “good” in verbal and numerical reasoning and couldn’t find any. That’s what I got, and I’m trying to be positive by simply forgetting I ever applied 😅
So has to be excel in both, or at least one?

Moe

Star Member
  • Dec 24, 2019
    So has to be excel in both, or at least one?
    Honestly, I’m no authority on this. The odds are, people did go through to the next stage with just good or excelled in one element. But it seems like their application (work experience, value compatibility, and video interview) were excellent. So just keep your fingers crossed and have faith in your app!

Reactions: bibss

Abbas J

Star Member
    Mar 30, 2023
    Any tips on how to approach this part of the CC application question: How will these experiences help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer? Should I just briefly relate each skill I gained from my experience and show its relevance to the legal field? Ie 'being ambitious is crucial for lawyers as they must remain resilient and motivated when comprising solutions for clients' present and future challenges'. Would this be sufficient or are they looking for more?

Thanks for the help and support.

New to this forum but its proving helpful for sure!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Any tips on how to approach this part of the CC application question: How will these experiences help you excel as a Clifford Chance lawyer? Should I just briefly relate each skill I gained from my experience and show its relevance to the legal field? Ie 'being ambitious is crucial for lawyers as they must remain resilient and motivated when comprising solutions for clients' present and future challenges'. Would this be sufficient or are they looking for more?

Thanks for the help and support.

New to this forum but its proving helpful for sure!
    I would make sure you are phrasing this more about you rather than lawyers generally. The question is asking you to reflect on how you may personally excel as a lawyer, rather than talking broadly about the profession. This also allows you to focus on your key strengths, showing your individuality in the answer.

Abbas J

Star Member
    Mar 30, 2023
    I would make sure you are phrasing this more about you rather than lawyers generally. The question is asking you to reflect on how you may personally excel as a lawyer, rather than talking broadly about the profession. This also allows you to focus on your key strengths, showing your individuality in the answer.
    Brillant,

thanks for the quick response!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I have noticed some firms application forms do not have a word count on the work experience section. Could anyone recommend a good word limit to stick to?
    it does depend on the nature of the role, how long you have done it for, and the responsibilities and impact you have had in the role.

For very short periods of work (eg an open day) I wouldn’t expect more than 2-3 sentences.

For a role you have done for more than a year and have gained responsibilities in that time, then a 2-3 paragraphs might be better.

Generally I’d say that a description should be no more than 350 words though, although there will be some exceptions to this.

Try to also think about the length of your combined work experience entries, as writing 350 words for every entry and than having 10 entries is probably something you want to avoid (3500 words won’t be read thoroughly).

Reactions: axelbeugre

Legally_Brunette1999

Oct 12, 2023
    Has anyone applied for the BBC graduate solicitor apprenticeship?

applied Today but not too sure I know enough about it to commit to the application process if I progress.
    I'm just working with my dad to go over my response to the application question now! From my understanding there is a WG element but I'm not 100% sure. It seems pretty much in line with any law firm application process, though.

Reactions: Legalstalker

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023
    I asked graduate recruitment about this. It is rolling in the sense that you will get WG / VI before the deadline but non-rolling in the sense that they will not fill AC after the deadline. So this year, you can apply on the deadline and your application will still be reviewed and you can secure a place on the AC.
    Hiya! do you mean that they will not fill ACs BEFORE the deadline? Cuz I emailed grad rec just asking if they are rolling or non-rolling and they just replied with "we review on a rolling basis." Deadline is 4 of Dec so I'm wondering if you think it is worth submitting an application this weekend?

CallumJR

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 16, 2020
    Hiya! do you mean that they will not fill ACs BEFORE the deadline? Cuz I emailed grad rec just asking if they are rolling or non-rolling and they just replied with "we review on a rolling basis." Deadline is 4 of Dec so I'm wondering if you think it is worth submitting an application this weekend?
    Hey Hannah,
    they review applications and progress people to the WG stage before the application deadline. However, you will not be at a disadvantage if you apply on the day of the deadline.
    As far as I know, they have not yet sent out any VI.

So it is totally worth applying. Just make sure you do not rush your application and it meets a high quality standard.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.