TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

AndreaMartins

Aug 15, 2023
Same here so fingers crossed for us!

Okay that’s a relief. I submitted my Gowling app just last month, exactly a month before the deadline actually. I know the deadline was 22/11 so I’m assuming they’re reviewing in chronological order. Best of luck with the test and please let me know how it goes!
Regarding to BCLP’s interviews ,i just emailed the recruitment team and they said that for direct apps to TC’s they’re only going to start progressing people to interviews in April 2024

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
I would go with the work experiences that you feel show the most transferable skills or personal development - they don’t have to be the most relevant or most recent. I’d caveat that slightly with the fact that if it is for a TC, Linklaters typically want to see a certain level of legal work experience though.
Thanks this is really insightful!

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
Sep 4, 2023
What if they aren't able to contact some? All my internship providers will be international references for them so ig they'll have trouble contacting them.
I think that they contact all the employers you put down. I am unsure whether they contact them for references purposes or just to confirm whether you actually worked at the company or you are being dishonest about it. But in my experience, they do contact all of them.

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    My vantage portal for CC glitched and under one of my work experiences there is a description of another work experience. I recall entering the correct details and double-checking it.

I emailed grad rec about this and they said they won't be able to add or consider any new information. I am worried this will affect me :(
    This is the first time I passed the WG and also made sure that my answer was good. Any advice?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    My vantage portal for CC glitched and under one of my work experiences there is a description of another work experience. I recall entering the correct details and double-checking it.

I emailed grad rec about this and they said they won't be able to add or consider any new information. I am worried this will affect me :(
    This is the first time I passed the WG and also made sure that my answer was good. Any advice?
    Honestly, Vantage is terrible and always does it. No matter how often I check my application, there is always a problem with this terrible portal.

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Honestly, Vantage is terrible and always does it. No matter how often I check my application, there is always a problem with this terrible portal.
    I was gutted when I saw it. I was sure it was not me as I always check my application.

I was also pretty bummed out that CC didn’t understand the situation. Not sure if I’ll get a PFO based on this :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What if they aren't able to contact some? All my internship providers will be international references for them so ig they'll have trouble contacting them.
    They are very used to contacting international companies. As it’s all done via email, it tends to be fairly straight forward.

In instances where references are not provided by the company they may seek other forms of proof from you (eg employment contracts, proof of salary etc).

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2023
    They are very used to contacting international companies. As it’s all done via email, it tends to be fairly straight forward.

In instances where references are not provided by the company they may seek other forms of proof from you (eg employment contracts, proof of salary etc).
    Alright. A few companies where I worked at are quite local like unorganised sectors which might be difficult to contact as they don't have proper email accounts. I got in through some contacts and we were connected via either WhatsApp or phone calls. I only have the offer letters and internship completion certificates. Should I refrain from mentioning such experiences? I'm afraid what would happen if the firms aren't able to contact them.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Alright. A few companies where I worked at are quite local like unorganised sectors which might be difficult to contact as they don't have proper email accounts. I got in through some contacts and we were connected via either WhatsApp or phone calls. I only have the offer letters and internship completion certificates. Should I refrain from mentioning such experiences? I'm afraid what would happen if the firms aren't able to contact them.
    The offers letters/certificates are likely to be sufficient.

Flutterbyx303

Star Member
    Sep 11, 2023
    One of the CMS application questions is "Describe your proudest achievement and what challenges you have had to overcome". Is that two separate questions on an achievement, and some challenges, or is it asking to describe an achievement and challenges you had to overcome along the way to getting it?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.