TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

stacy2523

Standard Member
Premium Member
Oct 12, 2023
For anyone who has applied to Freshfields, how did you go about filling out the 'details of work' box in the work experience section? Was it more CV style like bullet points or did you go into more detail highlighting tasks and skills you have gained from it?

Reactions: axelbeugre

O

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 27, 2019
For anyone who has applied to Freshfields, how did you go about filling out the 'details of work' box in the work experience section? Was it more CV style like bullet points or did you go into more detail highlighting tasks and skills you have gained from it?
I haven't applied yet but is it no longer separate WE entries?

ikeRoss

Star Member
Sep 1, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

In the work experience section of an application where I have worked different roles and also worked in different locations under the same company how would you advise is best to arrange this - for example, in some application forms they state 'Position' or 'Job Title' but if I had various roles would I include one or all, or do them all as separate entries?

I have currently been inputting numerous positions into the box (position/position/position) then explaining clearly in the textbox provided, but any advice on this would be appreciated.

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I think you should always describe the work experience in prose and never bullet points. I remember doing this for the Freshfields application too last year.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

In the work experience section of an application where I have worked different roles and also worked in different locations under the same company how would you advise is best to arrange this - for example, in some application forms they state 'Position' or 'Job Title' but if I had various roles would I include one or all, or do them all as separate entries?

I have currently been inputting numerous positions into the box (position/position/position) then explaining clearly in the textbox provided, but any advice on this would be appreciated.
I think it would be best to put a general term in the position section and then describe the different tasks you were given. I think that even the description should be a little bit general so that you do not confuse the reader, and then, when invited to an interview, you can go into more detail about the experience in question. I would not advise to put different positions within the position box as this might be slightly confusing and it may come off as if you did not understand what the box was for.

I hope that helps!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre or anyone,

What is the best structure for a cover letter? I am writing my application for Freshfields and i find that every time I do a Cover letter i never pass application stage.
As someone said before in this chat, the structure Why law, why the firm and why me worked perfectly for me last year so I always recommend this structure.
  • In the why law section you describe how you discovered your interest for commercial law (this could be a personal anecdote followed by a link to a professional experience you had, I found that this usually works as it makes the answer quite personal and unique to you).
  • Why the firm is your opportunity to let the firm know that you have done your research and you know why the firm is a good fit for you and your interests I would try and mention 3/4 reasons why you want to join the firm, whether its their practice areas, clients, focus on a specific area or sector, quality of the work, training programme, pro bono, diversity or anything you want to mention. Make sure to link those to you and your experiences, so if you wrote that you are interested in the litigation department of X firm for its reputation in the industry, where did you find this interest in litigation? That is where the link to your personal experience comes into play and where you can explain how working in an organisation within the advocacy department for instance made you understand that you thrive in situations where you have to represent a client and their best interests.
  • The why me section is a space for your to describe what you have done during university and beyond and that will distinguish you from other candidates, whether this is getting scholarships, awards or prizes, leading a university society, doing volunteering or something like this, mention all of it. Make sure to state how the skills you have acquired from your experiences will make you a successful future trainee at the firm.
I hope this is helpful and good luck!

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 18, 2022
Dk why but I sense a wave of A&O PFO is coming….
maybe you're right. A&O PFO received around an hour ago. I'm insanely disappointed - A&O was an imp one for me :/
This is my first cycle, I'm a penultimate year international law student so it's super hard to even be qualified to apply to VS and I have legal experience so I was thinking direct TC would make sense but I don't know - it's just so hard to get back up and keep applying to others. Apologies for the rant, probably a way for me to deal with it.

• 🤝
Reactions: bibss

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.