TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I am starting to think that i just dont fit the profile of what mc firms are looking for.
I thought my app for ao cc hsf were all quite strong and passed all the tests but everything has been pfo.
maybe its because of my grade or the fact that i am a mature student but dont think I'll apply for mcs now :(
It can definitely feel like they are requiring something so specific. I felt the same way last year when I was applying and I could not have any luck with magic circle firms (even though I knew I would prefer a US firm regardless). I feel like, especially as a mature student or international student, US firms tend to be more interested in you and your life journey and why you are transitioning in law, recognising your diverse skillset and how it could be useful to them too. So I would encourage you to focus on US firms. That is what I have done and I ended up having multiple offers as an international student (with an undergraduate degree outside of the UK) which was another hurdle in itself!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
just received this - what does this mean? is this normal language for PFO?
We have reviewed your application and we thought it was very strong. Unfortunately, we are unable to progress you to the next recruitment stage at this time. As we think your application has great potential, we would like to put your application status on hold for now and we will be in touch in the coming weeks about whether we can progress your application.
It is not a PFO - they are putting your application on hold.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am starting to think that i just dont fit the profile of what mc firms are looking for.
I thought my app for ao cc hsf were all quite strong and passed all the tests but everything has been pfo.
maybe its because of my grade or the fact that i am a mature student but dont think I'll apply for mcs now :(
It won’t be because you are a mature applicant. I have a different experience to @axelbeugre - from my time in MC firms, they were very open to taking career changers on and in fact would have enough in each intake to demonstrate that was never an issue.

I’d also stress not all MC firms are the same - what one looks for can be very different to the next, so I wouldn’t expect them to all treat your application the same, especially given their very different recruitment processes too.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I wanted to know what are the chances of getting through to the next stage of the recruitment process if the application is on hold? Also, is it a good thing that it's on hold?
Unfortunately there really wouldn’t be any clear indication of what the chances would be, as it will always vary from process to process.

It is ultimately a good thing though - they have deemed your application to be good enough for them. But it may have been that either earlier candidates have got through first or slightly stronger applications have been received.

Reactions: amrita6399

oliviapope1

Star Member
Nov 14, 2023
Congratulations to you, my friend! Any thoughts on what the third question might be? Do you reckon it's a motivational (i.e. about the firm) or a competency-based question (i.e. tell us about a time...)?
I have been looking around and cannot find any information about that :( I'm preparing every possible question at this point

Moe

Star Member
  • Dec 24, 2019
    I have been looking around and cannot find any information about that :( I'm preparing every possible question at this point
    Hi Rachel, Yeah, same here as well! Seems like it's because the VI stage is a recent addition to the process. Hoping it's a competency-based question since those are fairly standard, but if not, then that 1 minute worth of preparation we get before the recording starts will be incredibly important.

oliviapope1

Star Member
    Nov 14, 2023
    Hi Rachel, Yeah, same here as well! Seems like it's because the VI stage is a recent addition to the process. Hoping it's a competency-based question since those are fairly standard, but if not, then that 1 minute worth of preparation we get before the recording starts will be incredibly important.
    Could not agree more, hopefully the nerves don't get the better of me!

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    Guess what !!! A&O pfo just right now.
    Impressed by the GR commitment to delivering high quality work in weekends.
    Sorry to hear! What date does your portal show? I have a feeling that the A&O portal takes a while to send out rejection emails (e.g. GR might have rejected your application yesterday, but the email is sent out only 24 hours later).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.