TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Solicitorinthemaking

Star Member
Premium Member
Dec 9, 2023
Hi all,

Going through all the messages has been a massive help over the past few days! Thank you all!

Received PFO from CC on 8/12 too and they are unable to provide WG report

Many thanks for your email and interest in Clifford Chance.

Due to the high volume of applications and requests we have received, we are currently unable to provide individual test reports. Thank you for your understanding.

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    does anyone have any specific tips for the CC VI? Never really got the hang of VIs
    I hate vi's sm im so bad at them, but jus practice practice practice, record urself in a timed condition and watch it back, record answering a bunch of diff qs so u kind of see what formulae u go down--> for eg do u use STAR rigidly, if so can you make it seem a bit more natural so it looks like ure answering an in person q

Reactions: taliagibson

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @axelbeugre I'm an international student applying from India for TCs in the UK in the penultimate year of my law degree. I'm doing my law degree from India and am due to graduate in 2025.
    Thanks for answering my question. I would say that it is a bit more challenging to apply for training contracts from outside the country, especially now in this political climate so I would start by saying to expect a lot of setbacks because of it. I personally feel like you have much more chances of getting positive results if you apply within the country and with a degree from a reputable UK university.
    In fact, notwithstanding the fact that I went to a very good private university in Milan, Italy (with a fully funded scholarship), I would have not had any luck applying directly from Italy without a UK degree. Of course, never say never (and I did meet one person from LinkedIn who applied directly from Freshfield and got the training contract) but this is very rare so I would bear this in mind. Going to LSE was a game-changer for me and I am sure it helped my applications and my chances of getting interviews.

However, this should not discourage you in the slightest, only open your eyes to your real possibilities. I would encourage you to keep applying until your graduation, and also motivate you to apply to LLM or MSc courses in UK universities to have the best chances of success if you are not successful earlier!

In terms of my experience with US law firms, I personally feel like I had a very positive experience with them. It really felt like they were willing to give me a shot, realising that my academic and professional skillset, although abroad, had so many valuable things that would have distinguished me from my peers and ultimately make me a better lawyer. Additionally, being black I really felt like they were very diverse environments (especially some firms more than others of course) appreciative of my diverse International and racial background.
    So, I always encourage people from my same background to apply to US firms as I feel like they really value diversity, and this is also shown by how some of them are very diverse (even at partner levels) in the US and are sort of in need of mirroring that trend in the UK too.

In terms of tips to apply to US firms, what I would say is:
    • Being yourself through the process, although it is cliché, it is one of the things I will always preach. Re-reading my application to Goodwin recently felt so strange cause I was so taken by a law firm giving me a chance regardless of me being 100% in the application. I thought that this was not possible to do in these applications and I tried to change who I was when I started applying to magic circle firms, however I could see how that was not working for me. Being myself and telling my story was something that worked extremely with US firms since they were genuinely interested in me and my personality. Especially firms like Goodwin who only uses your application to decide whether to invite people to interview, they want to understand who you are as a person from your words and your stories, and being yourself through the process is the only thing that will allow you to do that!
    • Do your research. Show that you know the firm inside and out and demonstrate your commitment to train with that firm with showing how well you know it and the differences between the firm and its competitors. Goodwin specifically has a question about what firms you apply to and it is an opportunity for you to also see if you know the competitors of the firm and if you are applying to them.
    I think that one of the reasons why it will be very difficult to get through the process is the fact that you are not studying in the UK, so I really want to stress this. So, do not think you are not good enough because you definitely are, but most probably factors out of your control are interfering. You also need to remember that the market is becoming saturated in my opinion so there are a lot of people applying now for a variety of different reasons and so this will increase competition a lot.

I hope I helped you in some way and good luck with your applications!

Shreya Verma

Valued Member
    Sep 4, 2023
    Hello TCLA community! Please help me in answering this part of an optional question. Although the whole question is optional. Still, I wanted to answer it. If I don't answer the complete question or any part thereof, would it affect my application?

"Please also include any information about which other firms are you applying to."

The complete question is this -

"Please briefly summarise anything else that you would like to add which you think is relevant to your application. This can be positions of responsibility, extra-curricular activities and achievements or academic awards or scholarships. Please also include any information about which other firms are you applying to."

I wanted to answer the first part of the question but don't know what to do with the 2nd part.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.