TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre I have a question. I am an international student myself and have not studied in the UK. Some applications require us to state the amount of UCAS points we have. How am I supposed to answer this question? Pinsent Masons asked if I had obtained 120+ UCAS points and the only two answers were yes and no.

I thank you in advance for your response!
I have applied to the firm last year so I do not know their application process now but I used to not put anything in the UCAS points section and explain my academic background in the additional information section after I had to put my high school grades or university graduates. Since I graduated with an overall grade of 100/100 from high school I was confident that if there was a way to calculate my UCAS Point I would have got more than 120+ so I would always put yes. If you have a very high grade, then I would be confident that you definitely obtained more than 120+.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application!

Last edited:

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Freshfields' website states to use 'Why Me, Why Freshfields and Why Commercial Law' for the cover letter.

Does it matter if I do it in a different order? For example, Why Commercial Law, Why Freshfields and then Why Me?
It does not matter but if you are anxious about things like this (like I was when I was applying) then I would recommend just sticking to what the website says so you know you are following exactly what the firm wants. But I know people who got offers without following the exact structure so it is not paramount to do that. As long as you are able to exhaustively cover all the points necessary then, that is the most important part of the writing portion.

Reactions: Ali A

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Any tips on how to answer Clifford Chance’s question about working in the region. The region meaning London
Hey @legaleagle2000,

For what concerns the first part of the question, I think that you are probably in the best position to answer this question if you have done many workshops, events, programmes or anything of this nature with the firm and in the London office. Any sort of interactions you have had with the firm should be discussed as examples of what you have done to learn more about the firm in London. I potentially would also mention if you were able to speak to some lawyers from the firm that inspired you and motivated you to apply.

The second part of the questions is asking you to discuss your motivation to law and to apply to the firm and specifically the London office. Here, I would:
  • Discuss what pushed you to apply to Clifford Chance in the first place, is it the nature of the deals and cases they work on? or is it the training contract which you believe will give you the best training out there? is it the international secondment opportunities? Is it the presence of lawyers you met who you want to be trained by? Anything that is able to answer these sort of questions should be discussed here.
  • Highlight the strengths of the London office, perhaps the quality of the deals and matters that you would work on, the international aspect that London fosters compared to other locations (perhaps), maybe it is the revenues that the London generates which makes it a strong powerhouse compared to other offices? I would say that here you really need to show your research into the firm and what they do specifically in the London office.
I hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Freshfields' website states to use 'Why Me, Why Freshfields and Why Commercial Law' for the cover letter.

Does it matter if I do it in a different order? For example, Why Commercial Law, Why Freshfields and then Why Me?
It really doesn’t matter what order you put it in and they don’t have to be separate points/sections either, as the content can be interwoven. It’s just about making sure those points are covered.

Freshfields quiet likes individuality to shine through in their personal statement, and so following a very specific pattern can sometimes limit that opportunity.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
So frustrating when they do that; Willkie have on their website “yes and no”. Transparency would go on a long way 😂

Hi @laby201 our website says the below, which I hoped was transparent. Please let me know if you need any clarification.

"Do you recruit on a rolling basis?
Yes and no. We review applications and video interviews as they arrive, meaning you will hear from us within ten to fifteen working days as to the outcome of your application. However, two of our application stages will not take place until after the deadline, meaning we won't make any offers at all until after the deadline and will not fill up places before the deadline.

It is our strong recommendation that you only submit your application when you feel it is ready rather than submitting it as early as possible ."

oliviapope1

Star Member
Nov 14, 2023
Anyone know how video interviews are marked? Like do they consider other aspects of your application when giving out interviews? Also, how much does it matter say if you're strong in a couple questions but weaker in another?
For CC I was told they only take into account your VI and not your whole application overall. I’m guessing they look at all your VI answers holistically so if two are brilliant and one is slightly less good you should be okay I think

Reactions: addy2004

Interested_In_Law

Sep 21, 2022
Received Slaughter and May rejection post AC last week. Was really gutted at the time as I really liked the firm. Now today they didn’t even call me during the allocated feedback time.

I feel like I invested so much time into my application and interview and so for them to not even give 5 minutes of feedback is so frustrating :(

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.