TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I didn’t address the grad team in the cover letter for white and case. I just went straight into the letter, and no closing regards.

I don’t know what to do. Any advice?
Did you submit? If you submitted, there is nothing that you can do, I am sure that it is fine regardless and they will pay attention to the content. I think it is more productive focusing on other applications/other things rather than dwelling on this.
Good luck with the application!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Does anyone know what % of the TC offers come from Vac schemes instead of direct TC apps for Bird & Bird 🙏
I think I have read somewhere that they take 1-3 direct training contract applicants but this might depend on the year, the competition on the vacation scheme etc, it is all very arbitrary. If you are deciding whether to apply to the vacation scheme or the direct training contract, I would advise to apply to the direct training contract as you get more chances.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello everyone,

I have a question with regards to ACs. I'm waiting to hear back from a few firms post-VI about ACs, however as I'm taking the SQE1 in 2 weeks, I'm a little worried that if I get an AC it will be the week before/week of the assessment. I am wondering if anybody has faced a similar situation, and if is anything I can do (such as informing the firm that I'm doing the SQE and asking to do the AC at a later date)?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
You will probably be able to send the firm an email with the dates you are not available, some will understand some will not, it really depends on the firms unfortunately. However, since you are still waiting and you have your SQE in 2 weeks, it is likely that even if you receive an interview invite next week, you will be able to schedule it or ask them to do it the week after your exam so I will not worry too much right now.

A massive good luck for the SQE!!

Reactions: abdskurts1

SR99

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 5, 2021
    I think I have read somewhere that they take 1-3 direct training contract applicants but this might depend on the year, the competition on the vacation scheme etc, it is all very arbitrary. If you are deciding whether to apply to the vacation scheme or the direct training contract, I would advise to apply to the direct training contract as you get more chances.
    thanks so much! what do you mean by 'get more chances' with the direct TC?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    thanks so much! what do you mean by 'get more chances' with the direct TC?
    I think that by applying to a vacation scheme you have more possibilities of securing a spot since there are more spots available compared to a direct training contract route if that makes sense. This is just my experience though. You should do what you can also based on your commitment and whether you can attend the vacation scheme.

Reactions: Sharon Wu and SR99

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    For those who are applying to V&E, do you know if we need to address the cover letter to Scott Stiegler? Also, do you know if the cover letter and CV need to be in PDF or Word format?

Reactions: Aga123+

EM23

Esteemed Member
    Dec 10, 2022
    A lot of firms have this as a last catch all question, any idea what I should put here other than mitigating factors? Don't want to just rant or list out skills etc

"Please set out below any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application.
    Optional
    Max 300 words"

Reactions: axelbeugre

Zi48

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    A lot of firms have this as a last catch all question, any idea what I should put here other than mitigating factors? Don't want to just rant or list out skills etc

"Please set out below any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application.
    Optional
    Max 300 words"
    I think it depends on the other application questions and if there’s anything you think you haven’t been able to show. E.g. Hogan Lovells don’t ask typical questions like why the firm, why law or your extracurricular activities, so they’ve said you could include any of those there. But that won’t be the same for other firms that have those questions.

In terms of listing out skills maybe you could talk about how you’ve developed some/how they’d help you as a lawyer (if you haven’t already covered that). If that’s already in app, I’m not really sure what else could be added, maybe things like open day, forage experiences etc

Reactions: EM23

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023

Optional
    Max 300 words"
    I used to put things I did not mention before for example scholarships I got at university, academic prizes I won and awards I got during my postgraduate degree to show my academic ability. Additionally, I included an experience I had done with an international organisation which was quite important for me and a couple of extracurricular experiences I did not mention which I thought would give a more nuanced view of my interests outside of the law.

TonyStark

Star Member
    Jan 12, 2024
    Hi all

First time poster but long time lurker. I'm currently finalising my Freshfields application and I wanted to ask a question that I'm currently struggling with:

For the work experience section, does Freshfields prefer you to list responsibilities only or also the transferable skills you gained / how this makes you suitable for a career in commercial law/with Freshfields?

Thanks a lot
    TS

Reactions: Sharon Wu and ab01

Shi

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Is passing SQEs (and good grades) going to improve a TC application significantly? I assume they will show learning abilities and am considering self-funding one.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.