TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Shi

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
Is passing SQEs (and good grades) going to improve a TC application significantly? I assume they will show learning abilities and am considering self-funding one.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is passing SQEs (and good grades) going to improve a TC application significantly? I assume they will show learning abilities and am considering self-funding one.
Passing the SQE will help as it remove the gamble of hiring someone who doesn’t pass, but I don’t think it will mean firms overlook other aspects of an application at the same time.

19.mfjones

Star Member
  • Oct 16, 2023
    No, did you get a confirmation email that your application was submitted?
    Yeah it said
    "Thank you for applying for our Manchester Training Contract 2025 vacancy.

We're reviewing your application and will get back to you as quickly as we can.

Please get in touch if you have any questions at this stage, otherwise we will be in touch very soon."
    That was the 20th December

Did you?

yasmars

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021
    Do law firms prefer you to name trainees and associates you've had conversations with in your application or simply refer to them as 'In my conversations with trainees at the firm....' etc.
    I think it’s the insight you gained from the conversation that matters, more than whether you named that person.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do law firms prefer you to name trainees and associates you've had conversations with in your application or simply refer to them as 'In my conversations with trainees at the firm....' etc.
    It’s more what you took from the conversation rather than who said it in all honesty. It’s fine to reference names, but it isn’t necessary.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.