TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
Very pleased that after two years of smashing out applications I have *finally* got to my first AC for the Internal direct training contract at DWF :D (received the news just after I was leaving the test centre for a failed driving test - so softened the blow!). It's a strength-based interview initially so if anyone has any advice I would really appreciate it!!! :)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Has anyone here applied to Bakers TC and how did you navigate the second question about their clients
if you're having issues in figuring out who their clients are, read chambers true picture or go to their 'news/deals' section on the website and use that info to understand who the clients are. i got lucky cos i had read a news story about one of their clients a few days before i wrote the answer, so i just delved deeper into it. i also covered as many practice areas as i could in my answer - think of what each of the practice area could do to help the client overcome the situation - for example tax could look at the most tax efficient way to overcome the challenge - the Tech team could look for data protection concerns etc.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
if you're having issues in figuring out who their clients are, read chambers true picture or go to their 'news/deals' section on the website and use that info to understand who the clients are. i got lucky cos i had read a news story about one of their clients a few days before i wrote the answer, so i just delved deeper into it. i also covered as many practice areas as i could in my answer - think of what each of the practice area could do to help the client overcome the situation - for example tax could look at the most tax efficient way to overcome the challenge - the Tech team could look for data protection concerns etc.
That is such an amazing advice @futuretraineesolicitor thank you so much for sharing your insights!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Fieldfisher TC offer 😭😭
Congratulations! That is fantastic news!

Margot Robbie Applause GIF by The Academy Awards

abdskurts1

Jan 3, 2024
Hey @Jessica Booker,

I wanted to ask for some advice with regards to a TC application. After submitting my VI in mid December, I haven't heard anything back from the firm. Everybody I've talked to that did the VI at the same time has either received their PFO or has already done an AC. Do you think they could have simply just forgotten to send me a PFO? My last correspondence with them was on February 16th, when I emailed for an update and they said my application was still under review. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey @Jessica Booker,

I wanted to ask for some advice with regards to a TC application. After submitting my VI in mid December, I haven't heard anything back from the firm. Everybody I've talked to that did the VI at the same time has either received their PFO or has already done an AC. Do you think they could have simply just forgotten to send me a PFO? My last correspondence with them was on February 16th, when I emailed for an update and they said my application was still under review. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
I would personally email them as they probably were very busy around that time. It might be that your result is still under review because they are comparing you to other candidates too though, so that is worth keeping into account.

But you can reach out once more, emphasising how you have not heard back and highlighting how the firm is your first choice and you are expecting a chance to prove yourself. This might not work but at least you are reiterating your interest in the firm after all this time. I found that this does work, it did work for me last year.

Reactions: abdskurts1

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.