TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2023-4

lucy2002

Standard Member
Apr 10, 2024
Getting ACs means that you’re doing something very right.

At that point it’s a combination of commercial awareness , interview skills and luck.

Also consider the firm you are going for as some have different criteria and might be easier/harder for you.
yeah I think the different criteria thing might be the way to go... there's not many firms with healthy direct TC intakes still open sadly so feel i can't be picky

lucy2002

Standard Member
Apr 10, 2024
Really need some advice/motivation... I feel like I am never going to get a training contract and I have squandered my only chances. I managed to get a VS last year out of the only application I did (which I did not convert) and have been completely unable to replicate that success. I've had 6 ACs this year and not managed to get a VS out of any of them. Some I messed up and some were fine but I just wasn't good enough. I now can't get out of my head and feel like I will mess every AC up now that I've done it a few times. I feel like there's no way I can get one and I do not think my mental health can take doing another cycle and doing one won't help because the more I fail, the more likely I will continue to do so. Training contracts and how I don't think I'll get one is all I can think about all day everyday. Does anyone have any success stories where they've gone backwards before going forwards and finally succeeding? It seems like the motivational stories where people have got a VS after loads of ACs don't really calm me because that means they improved while I am going backwards and that is the problem.
I sorta feel like I'm only getting to the ACs because I have VS at a top firm on my application and I will continue to f up ACs/not be good enough

• Sad
Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The feedback has either been that I was good and just missed out or that I didn't do very well on something which I knew I'd messed up because of nerves (something different each time, think it might be that I frequently mess up the final part of the day) so i don't really know where to go with it
Sounds like you need to persevere if you are just missing out, and work on your confidence. It sounds like you have got the skills/knowledge needed, it’s just about getting them across in a confident and clear way.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024
I sorta feel like I'm only getting to the ACs because I have VS at a top firm on my application and I will continue to f up ACs/not be good enough
ACs tend to demonstrate polish more than ability.

Coming from a normal background often means that the first time you get to practice is the real thing and that often makes things look a bit rusty.

What I’d advise is firstly to research into each firm’s AC the day before to get an idea of the tasks as they are often more copy-paste than you’d think. Secondly, try and show a bit of passion and conviction even if it’s not truly natural.

The former makes it appear as though you’re less likely to leave and the second gives you more chance to have any mistakes slide past the recruiter.

Reactions: paralegal_1586

A worried final year

Esteemed Member
Mar 25, 2024

Coming from a normal background often means that the first time you get to practice is the real thing and that often makes things look a bit rusty.

What I’d advise is firstly to research into each firm’s AC the day before to get an idea of the tasks as they are often more copy-paste than you’d think. Secondly, try and show a bit of passion and conviction even if it’s not truly natural.

The former makes it appear as though you’re less likely to leave and the second gives you more chance to have any mistakes slide past the recruiter.
Also remember that interviews are often to find cultural fit as well as your qualities and some firms might not think you’ll suit them (for example some areas of work require slaves while some require sensitive people to understand the client)

ErickLawson2020

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2023
Really need some advice/motivation... I feel like I am never going to get a training contract and I have squandered my only chances. I managed to get a VS last year out of the only application I did (which I did not convert) and have been completely unable to replicate that success. I've had 6 ACs this year and not managed to get a VS out of any of them. Some I messed up and some were fine but I just wasn't good enough. I now can't get out of my head and feel like I will mess every AC up now that I've done it a few times. I feel like there's no way I can get one and I do not think my mental health can take doing another cycle and doing one won't help because the more I fail, the more likely I will continue to do so. Training contracts and how I don't think I'll get one is all I can think about all day everyday. Does anyone have any success stories where they've gone backwards before going forwards and finally succeeding? It seems like the motivational stories where people have got a VS after loads of ACs don't really calm me because that means they improved while I am going backwards and that is the problem.

If I were you, I would have a backup plan for a non-legal career.

Over the years, what I have realised is that quite often, you are not rejected for "you are not capable of doing the job well."
So, it is not solely your fault.
Most of these mechanisms are simply "justifications" for allocating limited resources, such as spots for training contracts.

Think of it the other way:
If you were rejected for the reason that "we do not think you are capable of performing the duties of this role," you would not struggle at all.
What you would likely do is simply go back, improve your skills and knowledge, and apply for other opportunities.

But right now, you might feel like you are banging your head against the wall.

If you have gone through interviews for experienced hires, you would have heard stories where the line manager explains with solid, sound justification as to why they have found a better, more suitable candidate.
Sometimes, it is because the chosen candidate brings additional skills or domain knowledge to the table.

Sorry if I am being blunt and direct, but I think it is better to get the message across clearly.

You can keep applying, but having a backup plan is essential.

ErickLawson2020

Premium Member
Dec 10, 2023

Haha, "ACs tend to demonstrate polish more than ability" hits the nail on the head.
Great point!

Didi Kalu

Standard Member
Nov 24, 2023
Has anyone taken the mayer brown test and what was it like
Took the situational judgement test and verbal reasoning tests today. The preparation link for the verbal reasoning they give is helpful- split into sections like spellchecking, ranking responses in terms of positivity, matching responses to the tone of a given email and classic verbal reasoning etc. My SJT closed on me after some time, is this normal for the test to cut you off?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.