TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018

Came across this pretty interesting tweet today. I checked and these are probably not fake news, because they reflect the statements/evidence the House of Dems Twitter account tweeted about a year ago during the Big Tech antitrust hearings. Just thought I’d share because even if you’re not interested in competition law, the screenshots give and interesting insight into why businesses to engage in M&A.
Very interesting!

Reactions: Dheepa

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Sorry it took me ages to respond to this!

I substabtively agree with Jess here. I think if it's something you genuinely find interesting then the best bet is to be authentic: why are you interested in the strategy? Why do you think it's a good thing? Are you particularly interested in a certain industry they're expanding in? If these are things you can answer easily to yourself then there's no reason that they shouldn't also form part of your cover letter when discussing motivations etc.
Thank you, I am actually very interesting in PE. I have also completed a course on Coursera and my interest has grown during the AS CAC but i feel that I am missing something still. So pissed! 😅

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Another way you can talk about industries is by bringing in your commercial awareness on a major trend happening in that industry. You can then link this to how the firm's growth in that industry will provide you with opportunities to be involved in those developments.

On W&C specifically, I think part of the focus of their 2020 strategy is expanding their presence in those industries particularly in regions that the firm hasn't previously focused on. Vaguely remember from an Open Day in 2019 that they were focusing on expanding the work in some of their already existing US offices. So you could potentially tie their 2020 strategy into your interest in their international work/presence as well.
Thank you @Dheepa

Badawy

Star Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer 19
  • Apr 4, 2020

Came across this pretty interesting tweet today. I checked and these are probably not fake news, because they reflect the statements/evidence the House of Dems Twitter account tweeted about a year ago during the Big Tech antitrust hearings. Just thought I’d share because even if you’re not interested in competition law, the screenshots give and interesting insight into why businesses to engage in M&A.

So interesting! That last email is really amazing, I wonder what he was thinking at the time...

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    So interesting! That last email is really amazing, I wonder what he was thinking at the time...
    I found the last email to be hilarious actually. It’s like someone read the third email and reminded him “Hey we can’t say we’re trying to buy out competition, they’ll slap a huge fine on us!!!” and so then he tried to recant in the fourth email. If you look at the times on both emails too, within the same hour haha.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Badawy

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 19
  • Apr 4, 2020
    I found the last email to be hilarious actually. It’s like someone read the third email and reminded him “Hey we can’t say we’re trying to buy out competition, they’ll slap a huge fine on us!!!” and so then he tried to recant in the fourth email. If you look at the times on both emails too, within the same hour haha.
    Right, I got that impression as well... but it is so candid! I think he's written it in a way that does seem like he's blatantly tried to do what you're saying, but there's enough room for doubt that you can't say for sure. Perfection??

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Right, I got that impression as well... but it is so candid! I think he's written it in a way that does seem like he's blatantly tried to do what you're saying, but there's enough room for doubt that you can't say for sure. Perfection??
    Personally not convinced he did leave much room for doubt. Here’s an additional screenshot of another email

Reactions: BoulderCO

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thank you, I am actually very interesting in PE. I have also completed a course on Coursera and my interest has grown during the AS CAC but i feel that I am missing something still. So pissed! 😅
    It could also be the case that you're in your own head and overthinking it. Try to strip it back and just go with your gut instinct: a lot of the time that will be correct.

Edward

Star Member
    Aug 11, 2018
    Hi everyone,

As they are so close to each other, what could be the main difference between these two questions?

1-Please explain how this mentoring scheme would help you with your future legal career aspirations?
    2- Please tell us why you wish to participate in a Mentoring Scheme with us?

Many thanks in advance!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi everyone,

As they are so close to each other, what could be the main difference between these two questions?

1-Please explain how this mentoring scheme would help you with your future legal career aspirations?

Many thanks in advance!
    This is for AS renewables mentoring scheme right.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance!
    To me the second one is much more bespoke to the firm/organisation. What will you get out of that mentoring programme that you might not get out of the others you could do.

The first one is much more of a self reflection question. How will you personally benefit from the programme and what specific ways will it help you obtain your goal of becoming a lawyer.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone,

Many thanks in advance!
    Jess's advice is spot on here - exactly how I answered when I applied for the Aspire scheme with them. For question 2, I'd recommend specifically referencing events that AS organises for you under the scheme and how you feel each one would benefit you.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For a question that asks please use the space below to provide details of any careers events, you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations, virtual events and these do not need to be Weil specific?

Would it bad to list events that you attended that are not US firms and not magic circle firms events such as Clyde and Co Kennedys and Shoosmiths.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    For a question that asks please use the space below to provide details of any careers events, you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations, virtual events and these do not need to be Weil specific?

Would it bad to list events that you attended that are not US firms and not magic circle firms events such as Clyde and Co Kennedys and Shoosmiths.

No, not bad at all. You can mention events you’ve attended with any kind of firm. Personally when mentioning firms that do very different kinds of work, I’d justify how those events made me realise that I was more interested in the work the firm I was applying to does. For example, I attended events with CRS and RPC and when mentioning them I would explain how those events made me realise I was more interested in transactional work at firms with a larger international client base. Even if you don’t do this you can still mention the events, this is just an example of how you can prove your motivations further.

Generally with these kind of questions I think it would be good to highlight the key things you’ve learnt from some of the events (if the word limit isn’t too tight) They’re looking to see that you’ve done your research into commercial law and substantiating with your personal takeaways helps demonstrates that even more.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

They don’t need to be firm specific. You can list events with firms that wouldn’t be direct competitors too.

I’d probably prioritise events with firms that have a closer connection to the firm you are applying to though.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    No, not bad at all. You can mention events you’ve attended with any kind of firm. Personally when mentioning firms that do very different kinds of work, I’d justify how those events made me realise that I was more interested in the work the firm I was applying to does. For example, I attended events with CRS and RPC and when mentioning them I would explain how those events made me realise I was more interested in transactional work at firms with a larger international client base. Even if you don’t do this you can still mention the events, this is just an example of how you can prove your motivations further.

Generally with these kind of questions I think it would be good to highlight the key things you’ve learnt from some of the events (if the word limit isn’t too tight) They’re looking to see that you’ve done your research into commercial law and substantiating with your personal takeaways helps demonstrates that even more.
    They don’t need to be firm specific. You can list events with firms that wouldn’t be direct competitors too.

I’d probably prioritise events with firms that have a closer connection to the firm you are applying to though.
    Thank you very much both for the great advice appreciate it.

D

Deleted member 8227

Does anyone have any advice on natural hair in professional settings? I have very curly hair but I always straighten it before I attend firm events or interviews because I'm worried it looks unprofessional and messy. Does it actually matter?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any advice on natural hair in professional settings? I have very curly hair but I always straighten it before I attend firm events or interviews because I'm worried it looks unprofessional and messy. Does it actually matter?
    I don’t think curly hair is an issue. People can have straight hair and it can look unprofessional/messy too.

You definitely don’t need to straighten it though. As long as it’s washed fairly regularly, and styled in a way that is “tidy” that is the main thing really.

For instance, my hair is pretty much the polar opposite to yours. But I have to make sure it is cut regularly (as it otherwise looks really straggly) and in my old age I now ensure I dye it regularly too. I never wear my hair up, but that can be a good way to ensure your hair looks “neat”, whether it’s fully or partly put up, or pinned back with something.

Reactions: Deleted member 8227

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Hey! I have curly hair and I completely understand where this is coming from - I tend to think my hair looks unprofessional/messy too. When attending events/interviews, I always just tied it into a high ponytail. I deal with any frizz or shorter baby hair I have up front by using the some hair spray. Usually just spritzing a bit on a brush and then combing the frizzy areas back. Throughout the day my hair will get frizzy again, so sometimes I'd carry the hairspray and the brush with me to fix it up but even when I didn't do that it was never really an issue. During an in-person VS, I even went in a couple of days with my hair down (and this was when my hair was super long) with a hairband and some clips to keep it away from my face - again it was never an issue. I'm not a fan of straightening my hair because any heat/colour I've ever used has always just dried my curls out and made it look an absolute mess. Unless you really want to, don't feel the need to do it! A ponytail/updo will do just fine.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.