TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips for handling the time constraints on one way video interviews? I have a tendency to rush through my answer because of the fear of being cut off!

I have 2.5 minutes to answer, which is more than others I have seen, but when practising I still run close to the time. Should I use fewer examples to better focus on my delivery? This is in relation to practising my ‘why X firm’ question where I give 3 reasons and my motivations for them.

I would say use fewer examples. Having just two points with really in depth examples will do you more good than three examples that are rushed and lacking in content. Also if you aren't already doing this, consider jumping straight into the answer with "Firstly,..." rather than starting with "I want to train at X because..." (should cut down at least a few seconds as well).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone have any tips for handling the time constraints on one way video interviews? I have a tendency to rush through my answer because of the fear of being cut off!

I have 2.5 minutes to answer, which is more than others I have seen, but when practising I still run close to the time. Should I use fewer examples to better focus on my delivery? This is in relation to practising my ‘why X firm’ question where I give 3 reasons and my motivations for them.
    @Dheepa ’s advice is great.

Alternatively, you can always focus on two examples and then go into the third (and least important one) in less detail if you are concerned about time.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi! After a much-needed break from applications, I'm gearing up and jumping right back into the summer cycle. I decided to go back to step 1 and re-evaluate the 'Why (Commercial) Law' question as I realised that my answers were too generic. I've narrowed them down to 3 points but it is more topical/characteristics of commercial law that draw me rather than in a narrative of how I ventured into commercial law. I was wondering if it was okay to pursue this style (maybe a more persuasive/uni-writing style) than the typical narrative? I'm not sure how to go about the narrative style as my journey to commercial law involved a lot of long-term reflection/practical experience rather than a few sparks of inspiration.
    I think discussing characteristics of commercial law as points of attraction is fine, but beware that it's not enough simply to identify a characteristic and say you're interested in it. You have to really justify the interest, often a more personal element is the best way of doing this. Nevertheless, discussing in terms of reflection and experience is a very valid way of doing this - I personally took a not-dissimilar approach - and can be highly effective if done well.

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I would say use fewer examples. Having just two points with really in depth examples will do you more good than three examples that are rushed and lacking in content. Also if you aren't already doing this, consider jumping straight into the answer with "Firstly,..." rather than starting with "I want to train at X because..." (should cut down at least a few seconds as well).

@Dheepa ’s advice is great.

Alternatively, you can always focus on two examples and then go into the third (and least important one) in less detail if you are concerned about time.
    Thank you so much both! I’ll drop one point, reassuring knowing that’s ok here!

Wannabelawyer10

Feb 27, 2021
    I'm completing an in-tray exercise, and when filling in the timetable, I haven't left time for a lunch break. Should I leave half an hour- is it seen as unreasonable or is it seen as motivated to not leave time for a lunch break?😂 @Jessica Booker, would it be possible to answer this? Thank you!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I'm completing an in-tray exercise, and when filling in the timetable, I haven't left time for a lunch break. Should I leave half an hour- is it seen as unreasonable or is it seen as motivated to not leave time for a lunch break?😂 @Jessica Booker, would it be possible to answer this? Thank you!
    Others may well disagree with me here but I wouldn't schedule a lunch break if you couldn't otherwise fit it in, to be totally honest. In real life there'll be a lot of occasions where you're dining al-desko over some doc review!

Reactions: FM302989 and Dheepa

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    It would be completely reasonable to have an hour for lunch. You’d have to make sure you can deliver your work to deadlines, but that isn’t just done by missing lunch.

Seen the above comments - and just want to clarify a bit more. You have to manage your time effectively - but that isn’t always done by not going to lunch. 1) you need to eat and 2) you often need a break from your desk 3) a lunch break can consist of many things that are not just eating - it could be going to the gym, helping out with non work projects or groups, going to some form of lunch time seminar.

The idea you have to sit at your desk from 9.30 to 17.30 (or 19.30 or 22.30) is unrealistic but also exceptionally unhealthy.

Yes, you need to prioritise tasks as others have suggested, but there are 101 ways you can do that and still take a lunch break. You could work later, you could delay something else, you could delegate work to someone else, you could be much more efficient in your focus on work if you aren’t hungry/tired/lacking concentration as you have been staring at a screen for 5 hours.

For these things, try and think creatively rather than “I must work harder/longer”.

Last edited:
    Reactions: thirdtimelucky and Lumree

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I think it’s always better with those situational tasks to be realistic with what you would actually do in person, not what you think the recruiter wants you to do/be.

If it were me, I’d be thinking if the firm prides itself on its culture or work life balance. With that in mind, they’d likely rather you take your lunch, provided you could still finish the task on time. If you are pushed for time in the task, then I would say half hour lunch is one way to deal with it (but as Jessica says there’s plenty of other ways too)

D

Deleted member 2707

Hi there, nice to have you back again! ☺️ Highlighting the characteristics of commercial law is perfectly fine but you'd ideally still want to link to to the practical experience you mentioned, really explain the details of each experience and how they led you to the decision to pursue the career.

Hi Dheepa, thank you for your response! I have structured my answers in a PEE approach in the sense that I state the characteristic that draws me, link it to my personal experience as justification for why I am interested in commercial law before rounding it out with further explanation tying it all together! Also I was wondering if you had personally utilised the narrative approach?

D

Deleted member 2707

I think discussing characteristics of commercial law as points of attraction is fine, but beware that it's not enough simply to identify a characteristic and say you're interested in it. You have to really justify the interest, often a more personal element is the best way of doing this. Nevertheless, discussing in terms of reflection and experience is a very valid way of doing this - I personally took a not-dissimilar approach - and can be highly effective if done well.
    Thank you for your response! Would it be alright if I messaged you to ask a little more about your approach and ran some ideas past you?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi Dheepa, thank you for your response! I have structured my answers in a PEE approach in the sense that I state the characteristic that draws me, link it to my personal experience as justification for why I am interested in commercial law before rounding it out with further explanation tying it all together! Also I was wondering if you had personally utilised the narrative approach?
    This sounds good to me! I've never really thought about it until now but yes I think I personally used a narrative approach - it made more sense to me to explain the entire "journey" so to speak of why I decided to pursue the career. I think it still did involve highlighting the characteristics of the career. As Jacob has emphasised as well, no matter what approach you take it matters more that any statement about how you would enjoy the career, or how you find it interesting etc. is supported by the tangible experiences you have.

D

Deleted member 2707

This sounds good to me! I've never really thought about it until now but yes I think I personally used a narrative approach - it made more sense to me to explain the entire "journey" so to speak of why I decided to pursue the career. I think it still did involve highlighting the characteristics of the career. As Jacob has emphasised as well, no matter what approach you take it matters more that any statement about how you would enjoy the career, or how you find it interesting etc. is supported by the tangible experiences you have.
    Thank you for your response! Helpful and insightful!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thank you for your response! Would it be alright if I messaged you to ask a little more about your approach and ran some ideas past you?
    If there are any particularly confidential elements you're more than welcome to discuss those via DM, but we respectfully ask that non-confidential stuff is kept public so everyone may benefit from the advice and input we can give 🙂

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    It would be completely reasonable to have an hour for lunch. You’d have to make sure you can deliver your work to deadlines, but that isn’t just done by missing lunch.

Seen the above comments - and just want to clarify a bit more. You have to manage your time effectively - but that isn’t always done by not going to lunch. 1) you need to eat and 2) you often need a break from your desk 3) a lunch break can consist of many things that are not just eating - it could be going to the gym, helping out with non work projects or groups, going to some form of lunch time seminar.

The idea you have to sit at your desk from 9.30 to 17.30 (or 19.30 or 22.30) is unrealistic but also exceptionally unhealthy.

Yes, you need to prioritise tasks as others have suggested, but there are 101 ways you can do that and still take a lunch break. You could work later, you could delay something else, you could delegate work to someone else, you could be much more efficient in your focus on work if you aren’t hungry/tired/lacking concentration as you have been staring at a screen for 5 hours.

For these things, try and think creatively rather than “I must work harder/longer”.
    I think it’s always better with those situational tasks to be realistic with what you would actually do in person, not what you think the recruiter wants you to do/be.

If it were me, I’d be thinking if the firm prides itself on its culture or work life balance. With that in mind, they’d likely rather you take your lunch, provided you could still finish the task on time. If you are pushed for time in the task, then I would say half hour lunch is one way to deal with it (but as Jessica says there’s plenty of other ways too)
    Both fair points - and authenticity (I.e. being representative of what you'd actually do) is definitely key here.

I should caveat my initial position by saying that, of course, where you have time to take a lunch break then it's definitely good to do so to give yourself a little headspace etc. I was more coming from the position of, where you're extremely busy, I personally couldn't schedule myself in a break at the expense of getting work done (albeit that is probably very representative of my attitudes and experiences and may not be entirely healthy lol)

Reactions: Lumree

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Both fair points - and authenticity is definitely key here.

I should caveat my initial position by saying that, of course, where you have time to take a lunch break then it's definitely good to do so to give yourself a little headspace etc. I was more coming from the position of, where you're extremely busy, I personally couldn't schedule myself in a break at the expense of getting work done (albeit that is probably very representative of my attitudes and experiences and may not be entirely healthy lol)
    Most people would need a break at some time even if they are exceptionally busy. Even just getting away for your desk for 10-15 minutes to grab a coffee or some food. And I don’t mean just for lunch. I’d personally suggest planning at least 3 of these purposeful breaks each day.

Doing that at lunchtime is often the most practical way - especially as loads of other people tend to be at lunch and you don’t tend to get bothered by things as much as when everyone is firing emails at you/walking past your desk.

The benefits of a small break will do wonders and make you much more productive/effective. For anyone going into a firm, I highly recommend planning regular breaks from your desk, even if it’s 5-10 minutes to go get a coffee, fill up a water bottle at the far end of the office or just stretch your legs/get some fresh air.

It’s even worse in a virtual environment. In an office you typically have these breaks walking from meeting room to meeting room, but you don’t really get that in the same way virtually.

One key tip is to not schedule things for a full hour/half hour. If you have a meeting that you would normally put in for an hour, put it in for 50 minutes instead and use the 10 minute gap as your break.

Reactions: Jacob Miller
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.