• Working on your applications? Check out Shearman & Sterling's comprehensive guide to writing great training contract applications here.

TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

liverpoollawyer

Distinguished Member
Feb 10, 2021
Hi everyone!

I start my two week vacation scheme on Monday and have just received my timetable and am super nervous. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should be doing to prepare? Should I email my supervisor and buddy or just wait to meet them on Monday? Between this and preparing for my exams which I’m sitting in the middle of the scheme I’m ready for a meltdown!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone!

I start my two week vacation scheme on Monday and have just received my timetable and am super nervous. Does anyone have any advice as to what I should be doing to prepare? Should I email my supervisor and buddy or just wait to meet them on Monday? Between this and preparing for my exams which I’m sitting in the middle of the scheme I’m ready for a meltdown!
We are running a session on this at 6.00pm today if you want to register.

I would just wait until Monday to speaking to your supervisor/Buddy. You have only been given their details today which pretty much means you aren’t being encouraged to contact them beforehand. You will be speaking to them within a matter of working hours now anyway.

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
Feb 16, 2019
Does anyone know if you have to have completed a vac scheme already to apply to A&Os direct TC?
Hi,

I don't think so- one of my friends did a first year scheme with them and got the direct TC, but they had no VS. Granted, it was their own first year scheme, but goes to show you don't need a VS to get a TC with them.

Do you know if they plan to open Direct TC's in Summer? They did so last year.

Reactions: SB144

SB144

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 16, 2020
Hi,

I don't think so- one of my friends did a first year scheme with them and got the direct TC, but they had no VS. Granted, it was their own first year scheme, but goes to show you don't need a VS to get a TC with them.

Do you know if they plan to open Direct TC's in Summer? They did so last year.
Hi, thanks that's useful! i'm not sure if they're planning to open it this summer, I was planning to apply in the next cycle.

wildprincessx

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 6, 2019
One of Ashurst's questions is: "What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require?"

I'm kind of thinking of answering it depending on the stage the lawyer is at- for example: a partner would obviously require more charisma and client-wrangling skills than a trainee per se. But is this interpretation too far of a stretch/am I thinking too much?