TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2707

One of Ashurst's questions is: "What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require?"

I'm kind of thinking of answering it depending on the stage the lawyer is at- for example: a partner would obviously require more charisma and client-wrangling skills than a trainee per se. But is this interpretation too far of a stretch/am I thinking too much?

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Yeah, don't overthink it too much :) Look at the qualities/skills they look for in their trainees - You'll find those on their website. I don't think you have to give examples of your own experience here - rather do that in your cover letter.
    One of Ashurst's questions is: "What qualities does a successful lawyer of the future require?"

I'm kind of thinking of answering it depending on the stage the lawyer is at- for example: a partner would obviously require more charisma and client-wrangling skills than a trainee per se. But is this interpretation too far of a stretch/am I thinking too much?

breadpitt

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 21, 2021
    I have quick question. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I would like some advice!

I’ve been assigned a trainee buddy for a firm I'm doing a VS in. I emailed the trainee a few weeks ago. He replied saying he’s happy to do a coffee chat/virtual call prior to scheme.

I replied saying yes, and asked to work around his schedule.

He hasn’t replied me for 2 weeks. Should I follow up and ask to do a virtual call? I'm afraid I come off as pushy and not mindful of his time given that he's obviously very busy.

Or should I wait until the scheme to meet him? I'm afraid I come off as apathetic!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

The key word for me in this question is future. I would also talk about it more generally rather than at a particular stage - their responsibilities might be different, but I don't necessarily think their qualities are different!

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have quick question. Maybe I'm overthinking it but I would like some advice!

I’ve been assigned a trainee buddy for a firm I'm doing a VS in. I emailed the trainee a few weeks ago. He replied saying he’s happy to do a coffee chat/virtual call prior to scheme.

I replied saying yes, and asked to work around his schedule.

He hasn’t replied me for 2 weeks. Should I follow up and ask to do a virtual call? I'm afraid I come off as pushy and not mindful of his time given that he's obviously very busy.

Or should I wait until the scheme to meet him? I'm afraid I come off as apathetic!
    Wait until the scheme. They probably thought it would be best to have the coffee once you are there (which is the normal approach).

Plus you don't necessarily know your schedule now anyway, so scheduling a coffee now could lead to it just needing to be rescheduled to another time.

Reactions: breadpitt

Mea

Star Member
    Apr 5, 2019
    I had a TC interview earlier this week and got on to the second stage (high street firm). Now I am slightly worried because I had to defer an LPC exam and won't sit it till early September. They mentioned they wanted a trainee to start in September. I'm worried I technically won't have 'passed' the LPC by that time as I'm sitting it then! Does anyone know how this works? Are firms strict on this?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had a TC interview earlier this week and got on to the second stage (high street firm). Now I am slightly worried because I had to defer an LPC exam and won't sit it till early September. They mentioned they wanted a trainee to start in September. I'm worried I technically won't have 'passed' the LPC by that time as I'm sitting it then! Does anyone know how this works? Are firms strict on this?
    You really need to speak to you academic provider first to find out when will you get your results. You then need to speak to your law firm to discuss this with them if your start date is before that date.

It is possible to start a TC while you are completing the LPC, but your firm is going to be the only one who can confirm whether they are happy to do this.

Reactions: Mea

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Things like the ability to sell to clients are honed with experience and also mentoring as you become more senior.

I would encourage you to think more in terms of a junior (trainee and up to say 3PQ) lawyer, positions where you'll be in the next 5-6 years.

D

Deleted member 2707

Yeah, don't overthink it too much :) Look at the qualities/skills they look for in their trainees - You'll find those on their website. I don't think you have to give examples of your own experience here - rather do that in your cover letter.
    The key word for me in this question is future. I would also talk about it more generally rather than at a particular stage - their responsibilities might be different, but I don't necessarily think their qualities are different!
    Things like the ability to sell to clients are honed with experience and also mentoring as you become more senior.

I would encourage you to think more in terms of a junior (trainee and up to say 3PQ) lawyer, positions where you'll be in the next 5-6 years.

Thank you all for your inputs! I feel as if I'm overthinking the question- definitely going to look for the more generic traits. Just to follow up on that though, is it necessary to bring up personal examples or is it sufficient to state the quality and why it is important? (Nadine provided some great input on this but just wanted to see what the generic consensus was!)

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you all for your inputs! I feel as if I'm overthinking the question- definitely going to look for the more generic traits. Just to follow up on that though, is it necessary to bring up personal examples or is it sufficient to state the quality and why it is important? (Nadine provided some great input on this but just wanted to see what the generic consensus was!)
    You are not being asked to provide your personal examples of where you have demonstrated those skills/attributes, just your analysis of what is important.

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Penelope

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    Would someone mind sharing with me the email address for arranging a mock interview with Rare please? I am a Rare candidate and have emailed a couple of times, but never hear back - not sure if it is the wrong email!

Feel free to pm me if you prefer, thanks

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Would someone mind sharing with me the email address for arranging a mock interview with Rare please? I am a Rare candidate and have emailed a couple of times, but never hear back - not sure if it is the wrong email!

Feel free to pm me if you prefer, thanks
    If you send me a DM I should be able to help you work this out.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Penelope
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.