TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hey everyone, had my first day of a vac scheme today and I'm a little disappointed with some aspects of it. My associate supervisor emailed me to welcome me to the team and said that I'd probably be busy with intro sessions etc but to check in if things were quiet. I suggested a call just to introduce myself and she advised that they were free for a quick call in the afternoon.

I really don't feel like I gave a good first impression during the call - I had prepped questions but as she had wanted a quick call, I didn't really ask any of these (just asked about her background/the team/work allocation) and it just felt really rushed. I sent a follow up email thanking her for her time and to say that I look forward meeting with her in person later in the week (and briefly indicated some follow-up topics). Was this the right approach? Should I have persevered and asked the questions I had prepped?

I want to feel like I've made a good start to the scheme, and to be fair, the rest of the day when pretty well but I'm aware that the associate supervisor will probably be observing and gathering feedback that will feed into the TC decision.
Hi there,

It’s so easy to go over things in your head and dissect everything you said and how you came across- it is so natural to do this so don’t worry. Nothing from what you say is a cause for any concern. The reality is they are probably just very very busy at the moment and will hopefully be able to catch up with you later this week, perhaps once they’ve cleared the things which came in over the weekend etc. It sounds like you’ve actually been very proactive in setting up an introductory call and emailing a polite ‘thank you’.

If I may give you just a little piece of advice, my first vac scheme I was so paranoid about putting a foot wrong and wanting to be perfect, what happened is that I came across very unconfident and nervous and it stopped my true personality shining through. If I have one tip for anyone doing a vac scheme it is this- please enjoy the time and see it as the incredible opportunity to learn and grow which it is. Yes, if the end result is a TC then that would be amazing- it’s what we all strive for. But please don’t be your own personal saboteur and hinder yourself from making the most and best of the opportunity :)

We are always here though to help and support with things like this- I hope this puts you at ease. And just to make totally clear, worrying about things like this is so so natural so don’t feel our reassurances make this less of a valid concern- any worries you guys have are valid and it is our job to help and guide and give the best advice we can, so never hesitate sharing with us if you feel comfortable to.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Hey everyone, had my first day of a vac scheme today and I'm a little disappointed with some aspects of it. My associate supervisor emailed me to welcome me to the team and said that I'd probably be busy with intro sessions etc but to check in if things were quiet. I suggested a call just to introduce myself and she advised that they were free for a quick call in the afternoon.

I really don't feel like I gave a good first impression during the call - I had prepped questions but as she had wanted a quick call, I didn't really ask any of these (just asked about her background/the team/work allocation) and it just felt really rushed. I sent a follow up email thanking her for her time and to say that I look forward meeting with her in person later in the week (and briefly indicated some follow-up topics). Was this the right approach? Should I have persevered and asked the questions I had prepped?

I want to feel like I've made a good start to the scheme, and to be fair, the rest of the day when pretty well but I'm aware that the associate supervisor will probably be observing and gathering feedback that will feed into the TC decision.
I can relate. I'm on the second week of a vac scheme and spent much of my first week over-analysing things like this. To me it sounds like you've shown yourself to be proactive and keen - that's always a good thing. I hope you enjoy the rest of your scheme. :)

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi there,

It’s so easy to go over things in your head and dissect everything you said and how you came across- it is so natural to do this so don’t worry. Nothing from what you say is a cause for any concern. The reality is they are probably just very very busy at the moment and will hopefully be able to catch up with you later this week, perhaps once they’ve cleared the things which came in over the weekend etc. It sounds like you’ve actually been very proactive in setting up an introductory call and emailing a polite ‘thank you’.

If I may give you just a little piece of advice, my first vac scheme I was so paranoid about putting a foot wrong and wanting to be perfect, what happened is that I came across very unconfident and nervous and it stopped my true personality shining through. If I have one tip for anyone doing a vac scheme it is this- please enjoy the time and see it as the incredible opportunity to learn and grow which it is. Yes, if the end result is a TC then that would be amazing- it’s what we all strive for. But please don’t be your own personal saboteur and hinder yourself from making the most and best of the opportunity :)

We are always here though to help and support with things like this- I hope this puts you at ease. And just to make totally clear, worrying about things like this is so so natural so don’t feel our reassurances make this less of a valid concern- any worries you guys have are valid and it is our job to help and guide and give the best advice we can, so never hesitate sharing with us if you feel comfortable to.
    Couldn't have said it better myself @Alice G! :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alice G

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Final PFO of the cycle and I'm all done with TC Applications. I've accepted my current TC Offer to start soon and firmly putting a line under this madness

Next problem will be find NQ roles in 2 years' time (the stress never really ends does it?)

beer alcohol GIF by MADE Fashion Week

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Final PFO of the cycle and I'm all done with TC Applications. I've accepted my current TC Offer to start soon and firmly putting a line under this madness

Next problem will be find NQ roles in 2 years' time (the stress never really ends does it?)

beer alcohol GIF by MADE Fashion Week
    I relate to this so much haha. I think I had about a week where my brain let me just enjoy the achievement before going back to it's default state of "Ok, what's next"

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi guys,

I am currently applying to S&M and I feel like the structure of their cover letter is slightly different. Do you have any tips for me?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys,

I am currently applying to S&M and I feel like the structure of their cover letter is slightly different. Do you have any tips for me?
    Definitely keep it to one page.

Don’t squeeze it all in by making margins to narrow, not enough paragraph spacing or making your font size too small.

Don’t repeat detail in your CV - you can always reference it/direct people to look at the detail on the CV.

Focus on your motivations rather than telling the firm what it already knows about itself

Reactions: S87

dosblancos7

Legendary Member
    Feb 16, 2019
    Hey guys, have a VS coming up soon.

Any advice on how I can maximise the relationship with my supervisors(not sure if they are trainee/associate supervisors, firm hasn't informed us yet).

Also, in terms of tasks, how can I ask my supervisor for guidance? The firm hasn't informed us how we will be assessed(if at all), but seeing how its a VS situated in InsideSherpa/Forage , I assume the tasks will be centralised, so would it be possible for my supervisor to help?

Thanks! :)

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hey! Sorry I have no experience of their AC but I’m still waiting to hear back, can I ask when you applied and when you got your invite?

I emailed KN's graduate recruitment team this morning, and they said they are aiming to respond to everyone by early next week as they are just finalising applications now.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: kr253
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.