TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

p9b

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 29, 2019
So I am getting a bit worried because I have received my formal vac scheme letter and on it, it says they will contact employers for references. I currently work as a paralegal within a small firm and had already booked off my vac scheme week and said I was going on holiday as I did not want my employers to know. If I do not end up getting the training contract, it clearly shows my current employers that I have intentions to leave which I do not think reflects well. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If I call grad rec to explain this do you think they will understand me not informing my employers?

A

Anon 11031

So I am getting a bit worried because I have received my formal vac scheme letter and on it, it says they will contact employers for references. I currently work as a paralegal within a small firm and had already booked off my vac scheme week and said I was going on holiday as I did not want my employers to know. If I do not end up getting the training contract, it clearly shows my current employers that I have intentions to leave which I do not think reflects well. Has anyone been in a similar situation? If I call grad rec to explain this do you think they will understand me not informing my employers?
I'm sure that @Jessica Booker will have some advice on this.

However, I think the best thing to do in this situation is to be honest with your employer. Mainly because there can be conflicts of interest and, if I'm not mistaken, most employment contracts require you to disclose when you take up any other form of work. Which, arguably, a vac scheme is (especially considering lots of them pay).

I don't think it reflects badly on you in your current workplace. Ultimately, you have a desire to expand your career and become a solicitor. If they can't offer you that, then you would have had to gain that opportunity somewhere else anyway.

That's my take anyways. Having dealt with similar things in the past, I've always found honesty the best way to not find yourself in trouble!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
You’ll typically need to declare employment within another organisation if you are working full time in one (even if you are using annual leave). Check your employment contract for your current employer.

Grad Rec is likely to expect you to tell your employer.

Florawilliams

Esteemed Member
Sep 17, 2020
Hey! need some help! I'm just about to apply for Ashurst's TC, but i see they have one with an early start (March 2023 i think). id rather apply to this but I'm applying quite late so don't want to ruin my chances? thank you so much if anyone has further details on this

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hey! need some help! I'm just about to apply for Ashurst's TC, but i see they have one with an early start (March 2023 i think). id rather apply to this but I'm applying quite late so don't want to ruin my chances? thank you so much if anyone has further details on this
    Hi,

Don't apply for March 2023 as that intake is being recruited on a rolling basis. They should be making offers at the end of this month. Apply for September 2023 instead as its the normal non-rolling recruitment 😊

Grad rec from Ashurst confirmed this a few weeks ago on an Insta live with Vantage.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’d just apply for the vacancy you want to. Standards will be the same across intakes.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    hey guys, would anyone be willing to take a look at my personal statement for LPC (with LLM)? im very conflicted on the angle to take
    Honestly wouldn’t worry about it too much, unless you are applying for some form of bursary/scholarship. It’s not really a competitive process.

AspiringLaw2021

Jun 14, 2021
    Hey everyone, had my first day of a vac scheme today and I'm a little disappointed with some aspects of it. My associate supervisor emailed me to welcome me to the team and said that I'd probably be busy with intro sessions etc but to check in if things were quiet. I suggested a call just to introduce myself and she advised that they were free for a quick call in the afternoon.

I really don't feel like I gave a good first impression during the call - I had prepped questions but as she had wanted a quick call, I didn't really ask any of these (just asked about her background/the team/work allocation) and it just felt really rushed. I sent a follow up email thanking her for her time and to say that I look forward meeting with her in person later in the week (and briefly indicated some follow-up topics). Was this the right approach? Should I have persevered and asked the questions I had prepped?

I want to feel like I've made a good start to the scheme, and to be fair, the rest of the day when pretty well but I'm aware that the associate supervisor will probably be observing and gathering feedback that will feed into the TC decision.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey everyone, had my first day of a vac scheme today and I'm a little disappointed with some aspects of it. My associate supervisor emailed me to welcome me to the team and said that I'd probably be busy with intro sessions etc but to check in if things were quiet. I suggested a call just to introduce myself and she advised that they were free for a quick call in the afternoon.

I really don't feel like I gave a good first impression during the call - I had prepped questions but as she had wanted a quick call, I didn't really ask any of these (just asked about her background/the team/work allocation) and it just felt really rushed. I sent a follow up email thanking her for her time and to say that I look forward meeting with her in person later in the week (and briefly indicated some follow-up topics). Was this the right approach? Should I have persevered and asked the questions I had prepped?

I want to feel like I've made a good start to the scheme, and to be fair, the rest of the day when pretty well but I'm aware that the associate supervisor will probably be observing and gathering feedback that will feed into the TC decision.
    I really wouldn't worry too much about this. It sounds like you did the absolute best you could with a curveball thrown your way and I am sure you made a better impression than you think you did!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Hey, absolutely nothing about what you said sounds like it went badly at all!
    Things like not asking enough questions are not what supervisors focus their feedback on neither is it what makes or breaks a TC offer!

Don’t overthink these things - your supervisor was busy and there’s nothing more you could have done in the time she had for you. Stuff like this happens all the time on schemes. From the sound of it, you’ve gone out of your way to prepare some insightful questions and again I’m sure she is going to appreciate that effort too.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.