TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi everyone.
    I just wanted to say that I was offered a training contract from a US firm (a number one choice and dream firm of mine!).

I have made applications for the past 3 years and have finally secured a TC. This was going to be my last and I was honestly going to give up after this particular vacation scheme but it all worked out.

If any of you are feeling disheartened, please don’t. I genuinely believe the few years of rejections have helped me secure this job. Good luck to you all
    Amazing news!!! What a way to start the week - hope you're able to celebrate in the lovely sunshine we have at the moment :)

PS: which firm if you don't mind me asking?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    So I got the 2.2 in second year - so it does count towards the final degree classification too. Can people still secure TCs with that?

Also, I may have the option to resit the 2.2 paper as I had mitigating circumstances at the time - what would firms think about the resit - even if it improved the overall grade?
    Yeah I got a few 2.2s in my first year and a 2.2 in my second year and those didn't seem to hold me back so I think you'll be absolutely fine tbh. I think firms want to see an upward curve in terms of your results so as long as you seem to be improving and progressing they'll be no issue with the odd 2.2 :)

Reactions: ZaraB and Eliana

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone.
    I just wanted to say that I was offered a training contract from a US firm (a number one choice and dream firm of mine!).

I have made applications for the past 3 years and have finally secured a TC. This was going to be my last and I was honestly going to give up after this particular vacation scheme but it all worked out.

If any of you are feeling disheartened, please don’t. I genuinely believe the few years of rejections have helped me secure this job. Good luck to you all
    Congratulations - this is fantastic news!

Happy Birthday Reaction GIF

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I received my TC offer on 09/07, is the deadline to reply 4 calendar weeks later (i.e. 06/08) or 09/08? Thanks :)
    It will state it on your offer. There isn’t a standard unfortunately.

If it states four weeks, then you have until the 06/08.

law2021

Star Member
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi everyone! I just have a quick question - there is a firm that is currently accepting apps for law graduates only. I have completed both my GDL & LPC - am I considered a law graduate at this point or do I still have to apply with the non-law intake? Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! I just have a quick question - there is a firm that is currently accepting apps for law graduates only. I have completed both my GDL & LPC - am I considered a law graduate at this point or do I still have to apply with the non-law intake? Thanks!
    Most likely you’ll still be considered a non law applicant, but might be worthwhile checking with them.

Reactions: law2021

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Hi everyone - hope all is well.
    Just got everything confirmed for my masters - just wanted to ask, does S&M (and other firms) who use cover letters usually have the same criterion for them every year?

• 🏆
    Reactions: Dheepa and FM302989

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone.

Love posts like this, well done!

• Love
    Reactions: ScrappyDoo

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone - hope all is well.
    Just got everything confirmed for my masters - just wanted to ask, does S&M (and other firms) who use cover letters usually have the same criterion for them every year?
    Slaughter and May has been consistent with their cover letter over the last few years, so I think they are a fairly safe bet. I would say this is also likely to be true of some US firms like Skadden and Davis Polk.

Gets trickier to know which other firms will change. I would probably expect Macfarlanes and Norton Rose Fulbright to keep their cover letters but this is just speculation.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Slaughter and May has been consistent with their cover letter over the last few years, so I think they are a fairly safe bet. I would say this is also likely to be true of some US firms like Skadden and Davis Polk.

Gets trickier to know which other firms will change. I would probably expect Macfarlanes and Norton Rose Fulbright to keep their cover letters but this is just speculation.
    Thank you so much - I also heard some ramblings that CMS were planning to change their application process at some point as they believe it needs updating.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thank you so much - I also heard some ramblings that CMS were planning to change their application process at some point as they believe it needs updating.
    Yep I'd be wary of firms that have changed their questions frequently over the past few years - I'd expect at least some of them to change again (CMS, A&O, Hogan Lovells, BCLP etc.). If you're looking to get ahead of things for those firms, sometimes it's still helpful to draft your 'why this firm?' question if that has been a staple question for that firm. Or you could just stick to transferable questions like 'why commercial law?', 'tell me about a news story' etc.

Tcapplicant

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2019

Macfarlanes doesn’t have a cover letter anymore! (Unless I’ve totally missed that in their app!!)

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Yep I'd be wary of firms that have changed their questions frequently over the past few years - I'd expect at least some of them to change again (CMS, A&O, Hogan Lovells, BCLP etc.). If you're looking to get ahead of things for those firms, sometimes it's still helpful to draft your 'why this firm?' question if that has been a staple question for that firm. Or you could just stick to transferable questions like 'why commercial law?', 'tell me about a news story' etc.
    Thank you - need to prepare ahead as my masters is very time consuming and I want to make sure I fire out my finance/law apps asap! Are there any upcoming competitions for premium? Unfortunately mine ran out during my exam season :(

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.