TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Thank you for that! It's been difficult to accommodate to different timezones/virtual learning but live and learn I guess!

Thank you for this! Would it be alright if I DM-ed you to talk a little about the firm? Most firms I've reached out to talked about 'excellent academics' which have scared me a little bit.
    Yes of course!

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Hey, I've been super fortunate enough to get a place on Aspire this year, after being unsuccessful last year, and wondered if it is possible to participate fully and easily while in full-time work- ie are events during business hours?

For context, I am considering whether to do an LLM (which would provide me with flexibility) or get a job this september. Thanks!
    Hiya, so yes most of the events are during business hours as they are open days/ law fairs etc but normally you have the option to not attend if you can't get the day and for some events there are multiple dates, hope this helps!

Reactions: Dheepa and ZaraB

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Does anyone know whether it’s possible to balance doing TC and VS apps with the LPC? Has anyone had experience in doing it? I’m just wondering how much free time you will have. Any feedback would be much appreciated!!
    So I did make apps alongside doing my LPC and it is possible but I think the key is to be efficient as possible with apps- I think in terms of free time I was lucky in that I had a day off here or there and heavy days other days so I used my days off to make apps as well as consolidate for my lessons. Also, at BPP you are able to reschedule your tutorials for ACs if need be which I think made it a bit easier to be transparent about it and plan ahead!

Reactions: W

Legalregal

Valued Member
    Jan 13, 2021
    Hiya, so yes most of the events are during business hours as they are open days/ law fairs etc but normally you have the option to not attend if you can't get the day and for some events there are multiple dates, hope this helps!
    Thanks! I thought so. I wanted to do an LLM but felt a bit guilty about doing it so this is a great excuse to do one now

Reactions: GK8997

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Shot in the dark here, but does anyone know what kind of bonus you can expect at NQ level at the top paying New York firms in London? (Skadden, Shearman, Willkie, White & Case etc). There really isn't much information online and people seem to be quite cryptic about it.
    It'll be very much firm dependent but a fair few US firms pay their London associates the same bonuses as they do in the US which you can see on the link below:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    It'll be very much firm dependent but a fair few US firms pay their London associates the same bonuses as they do in the US which you can see on the link below:

What about roll on Friday are they not the website to check this out.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 14, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker . Hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, when do people really start practising for the WG test? How many days/weeks/months in advance? I understand that there is no correct answer for this, but I'm going to make direct TC apps from Nov this year (or whenever they open). Does it even make sense to think about the test at the moment?

Also, is there anything else that I can do to prepare for Direct TC apps from today?

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker . Hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, when do people really start practising for the WG test? How many days/weeks/months in advance? I understand that there is no correct answer for this, but I'm going to make direct TC apps from Nov this year (or whenever they open). Does it even make sense to think about the test at the moment?

Also, is there anything else that I can do to prepare for Direct TC apps from today?

Thanks in advance.
    I don’t really know to be honest.

I don’t think it is worthwhile spending months preparing for them though. Sometimes people will do lots of practice tests and just do them endlessly thinking that will help them perfect their ability - which just won’t happen.

You can get a lot more confident and comfortable with the type of questions you are asked. But you are much more likely to do better if you focus your efforts on understanding why the answers are what the answers are rather than just doing the tests.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020

Thanks in advance.
    I feel what has helped me pass WG stages is practising a week in advance on JobTestPrep and going over my answers to see what I got wrong to work out exactly why it was wrong. I then type this up onto a cheat sheet for myself to ensure I avoid this in the future (i.e correlation does not equal causation). This helps me get into the WG frame of mind for the real thing and helps me avoid mistakes during the test!

Reactions: Dheepa

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    I would say it depends on whether you are doing normal FT or accelerated; I did normal FT and it was difficult but definitely possible.

I started the LPC and signed up for pro bono opportunities straight away as they ran before VS deadlines (and are really competitive for this reason). They gave me lots to write about in apps and discuss in interviews, in addition to university stuff. I also attended lots of virtual insight evenings and open days which massively bloated my diary. I then got 6 apps in before Christmas. The next term was seriously tough - with having at least one AC/interview for 5 of those apps alongside exams - but again possible if you're organised.

I think the trick is to study smart on the LPC; if you are going to ULaw, make use of recorded workshops as consolidation and don't get bogged down making ridiculously long notes from the textbooks. Try and go to every workshop and make good notes in the workshops themselves :)
    Thank you very much :)

W

Legendary Member
    May 12, 2019
    So I did make apps alongside doing my LPC and it is possible but I think the key is to be efficient as possible with apps- I think in terms of free time I was lucky in that I had a day off here or there and heavy days other days so I used my days off to make apps as well as consolidate for my lessons. Also, at BPP you are able to reschedule your tutorials for ACs if need be which I think made it a bit easier to be transparent about it and plan ahead!
    Thank you! :)

Reactions: GK8997

Eliana

Star Member
    Apr 11, 2021
    Hi, I just got my second year Law results from a good RG uni and achieved 63% average with a 58 (2.2) in a module - I'm absolutely devastated as I worked so hard this year. 2 questions if anyone could help:

1) What are my chances now of successfully applying to top international firms for vac schemes next year? Will this average or the 2.2 in the module really hinder my chances?

2) Do firms tend to look at the individual mark (eg favour someone with a 67 over a 63) or do they just need to see a 2.1?

Thank you :(

Last edited:
    A

Anon 11031

Hi, I just got my second year Law results from a good RG uni and achieved 63% average with a 58 (2.2) in a module - I'm absolutely devastated as I worked so hard this year. What are my chances now of successfully applying to top international firms for vac schemes next year? Will this average or the 2.2 in the module really hinder my chances?

If it's just the one 2:2 then I'm certain it won't be an issue.

Lots of people get a bad grade here and there, and still manage to get a TC. Ultimately, I think the overall degree classification (usually a 2:1) is what matters in the end.

Don't let this hit your confidence. Lots of people have had a very tough time during this pandemic, and I'm sure lots of recruiters will be aware of this. ❤️

Reactions: Jaysen and W

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I just got my second year Law results from a good RG uni and achieved 63% average with a 58 (2.2) in a module - I'm absolutely devastated as I worked so hard this year. 2 questions if anyone could help:

1) What are my chances now of successfully applying to top international firms for vac schemes next year? Will this average or the 2.2 in the module really hinder my chances?

2) Do firms tend to look at the individual mark (eg favour someone with a 67 over a 63) or do they just need to see a 2.1?

Plenty of people secure TCs with one 2.2 module in first year.

Firms do look at individual modules grades. What they value though will vary between firms - there really isn’t a standard of firms vaulting certain grades or subjects over others

Reactions: Eliana

Eliana

Star Member
    Apr 11, 2021
    Plenty of people secure TCs with one 2.2 module in first year.

Firms do look at individual modules grades. What they value though will vary between firms - there really isn’t a standard of firms vaulting certain grades or subjects over others
    So I got the 2.2 in second year - so it does count towards the final degree classification too. Can people still secure TCs with that?

Also, I may have the option to resit the 2.2 paper as I had mitigating circumstances at the time - what would firms think about the resit - even if it improved the overall grade?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So I got the 2.2 in second year - so it does count towards the final degree classification too. Can people still secure TCs with that?

Also, I may have the option to resit the 2.2 paper as I had mitigating circumstances at the time - what would firms think about the resit - even if it improved the overall grade?
    Yes - an occasional 2.2 is exceptionally common for people who secure interviews and even jobs.

You can choose to resit it for your personal reasons, I don’t think either resitting will have a significant impact on how your application would be reviewed though, and especially if you have mitigating circumstances.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Eliana

Eliana

Star Member
    Apr 11, 2021
    Yes - an occasional 2.2 is exceptionally common for people who secure interviews and even jobs.

You can choose to resit it for your personal reasons, I don’t think either resitting will have a significant impact on how your application would be reviewed though, and especially if you have mitigating circumstances.
    Thank you very much Jessica :)

Soriginal234

Star Member
    Dec 31, 2020
    Hi everyone.
    I just wanted to say that I was offered a training contract from a US firm (a number one choice and dream firm of mine!).

I have made applications for the past 3 years and have finally secured a TC. This was going to be my last and I was honestly going to give up after this particular vacation scheme but it all worked out.

If any of you are feeling disheartened, please don’t. I genuinely believe the few years of rejections have helped me secure this job. Good luck to you all

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.