TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get started preparing commercial awareness for final tc interviews. I have no idea where to start or how to gather information or on what topics. Do you look at what is relevant to the firm? Does it matter if it's a topic which is talked about a lot? Just any help with regards to how to prepare or where to look because at the moment I'm just listening to podcasts with business news but don't feel like I have in depth knowledge of a particular theme. Thank you!!
Hiya, I would definitely look into commercial news stories that relate to the firm: I know some firms don't require this but my feedback for one TC interview was that it would have been better if I chose a commercial story that impacted the firm and its clients- if the topic is talked about a lot I would say make sure you know it in a lot of detail if you also want to talk about it just so you stand out!

Reactions: qwertay

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hi everyone. I was just wondering if anyone has any advice on how to get started preparing commercial awareness for final tc interviews. I have no idea where to start or how to gather information or on what topics. Do you look at what is relevant to the firm? Does it matter if it's a topic which is talked about a lot? Just any help with regards to how to prepare or where to look because at the moment I'm just listening to podcasts with business news but don't feel like I have in depth knowledge of a particular theme. Thank you!!
    The caveat to everything I'll go on to say here is that there are myriad ways of approaching this sort of thing, and one method may not be any more "right" than the other.

For starters, try to find something you're genuinely interested in: this will make researching and planning a response much easier, and you will also come across much more authentically as someone who is genuinely interested and passionate. It doesn't have to align with the firm in some particular way - don't get me wrong, if it does then that's not remotely a problem, but don't try and force a link as this is unnecessary. You should, however, explicitly discuss the impacts on commercial law firms and their clients generally in the very least.

Next, think about how you would like to structure your response. Do you want to discuss one story in particular at length, or do you want to consider a market trend? Have a look at my interview prep article accessible via the link in my signature for a more substantive discussion on this.

Finally, on the point of "should it be something people are talking about"... well, yes and no. I don't remotely think your response should be based on something nobody has ever heard of: it should be of enough commercial significance that it isn't "new" to people interviewing you. Nor, however, do I recommend going down the route of something everyone is talking about as your answer risks becoming white noise. Try and find something significant but not at the absolute forefront of discussion.

Hope this helps as a starting point at least!

Limanehious

Star Member
    Mar 19, 2021
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if you would be help me! If an application asks you:

‘please set out below any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application’,

what would you put?

It’s 250 words, and they have already asked
    -please provide details of any interests your pursue outside work/study (include positions of responsibility)
    -why are you applying to this firm?
    -what distinguishes you from other applicants

I’m just unsure what to put that’s different to these answers!
    Thanks!

qwertay

Oct 30, 2020
    Hiya, I would definitely look into commercial news stories that relate to the firm: I know some firms don't require this but my feedback for one TC interview was that it would have been better if I chose a commercial story that impacted the firm and its clients- if the topic is talked about a lot I would say make sure you know it in a lot of detail if you also want to talk about it just so you stand out!
    The caveat to everything I'll go on to say here is that there are myriad ways of approaching this sort of thing, and one method may not be any more "right" than the other.

For starters, try to find something you're genuinely interested in: this will make researching and planning a response much easier, and you will also come across much more authentically as someone who is genuinely interested and passionate. It doesn't have to align with the firm in some particular way - don't get me wrong, if it does then that's not remotely a problem, but don't try and force a link as this is unnecessary. You should, however, explicitly discuss the impacts on commercial law firms and their clients generally in the very least.

Next, think about how you would like to structure your response. Do you want to discuss one story in particular at length, or do you want to consider a market trend? Have a look at my interview prep article accessible via the link in my signature for a more substantive discussion on this.

Finally, on the point of "should it be something people are talking about"... well, yes and no. I don't remotely think your response should be based on something nobody has ever heard of: it should be of enough commercial significance that it isn't "new" to people interviewing you. Nor, however, do I recommend going down the route of something everyone is talking about as your answer risks becoming white noise. Try and find something significant but not at the absolute forefront of discussion.

Hope this helps as a starting point at least!
    Wow this is amazing, thank you so so much both!! Very helpful, and has given me a lot to think about!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone! I was wondering if you would be help me! If an application asks you:

‘please set out below any additional information which you feel is relevant to your application’,

what would you put?

It’s 250 words, and they have already asked
    -please provide details of any interests your pursue outside work/study (include positions of responsibility)
    -why are you applying to this firm?
    -what distinguishes you from other applicants

I’m just unsure what to put that’s different to these answers!
    Thanks!
    Anything you think that is important/relevant that naturally couldn’t have been answered by other questions/sections of an application form.

It could include:

- explanations of circumstances / your route to where you are now

- extenuating circumstances

- explanations of grades of non UK education system

- information on commitments outside of extra curriculars (eg caring commitments)

- any explanation you’d like to present that might explain information that isn’t ideal on your application.

Reactions: Limanehious

jw97

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for a written exercise within an AC? All I know is that it should last around an hour and that the details and reading material would be provided on the day? The AC is virtual so should I be preparing to use resources or might that not be allowed?

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Does anyone have any advice on how to prepare for a written exercise within an AC? All I know is that it should last around an hour and that the details and reading material would be provided on the day? The AC is virtual so should I be preparing to use resources or might that not be allowed?
    I would say mainly make sure your answers is structure (use headings and subheadings) and watch the time as these exercises tend to be time pressured!

Reactions: karinny and jw97

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    The approach I took was that I focused a lot more on structure, accuracy and making it concise. Considering the time limits and the information only being given to you on the day, they're not expecting an elaborate essay. So I would not put as much pressure on the content and detail itself.

It's to assess your written communication so do make sure you have time at the end to read it through, make sure there's no silly mistakes and that your spelling and grammar is perfect!

In terms of preparation, I looked at precedents of emails to supervisors and how to write memorandums etc. Also, research the firm again because you could link back to their values or other initiatives they've done that may be relevant.

Good luck! 🥰

Reactions: W

frksch

Star Member
    Jan 27, 2021
    I completed the written exercise for Orrick vac scheme 3 weeks ago now and still haven’t heard a thing! The scheme is supposed to be next month so I’m not optimistic. Has anyone heard any updates?

Reactions: Roch1234

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Has anyone who applied to the Leeds office for Bevan Brittan not heard yet? A couple of friends have both received PFO’s but I’ve not heard anything. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I even checked my online apply4law account to check (in case I’d missed and email) and nothing.

A

Anon 11031

Has anyone who applied to the Leeds office for Bevan Brittan not heard yet? A couple of friends have both received PFO’s but I’ve not heard anything. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I even checked my online apply4law account to check (in case I’d missed and email) and nothing.
    Is this for TC or VS? ☺️

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    Not Leeds but I got a PFO for Bristol late Friday so they may be going one location at a time?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Hele25

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    If it's a written case study, my case studies article (accessible via link in signature) should help you out. I do also cover some wider points of technique for written exercises in general in it at the end which may help you out.

Reactions: jw97
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.