TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jan28

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 12, 2019
hi guys, this might be completely obvious/stupid but how do you differentiate (if there is a difference) between 'when have you overcome a challenge?' and 'when have you solved a problem?' i kinda feel both are asking the same but wondering if I'm missing something

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    The firm finally sent my documents!!!!!! Just committed to my TC after signing it... rejecting everything else now is too nerve wracking, I never thought I would be doing this 😂 😂 😂 😂 although writing 'future trainee' on LinkedIn feels so good
    Woohoo!!! 🥳 🥳 🥳 Congratulations!!

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    hi guys, this might be completely obvious/stupid but how do you differentiate (if there is a difference) between 'when have you overcome a challenge?' and 'when have you solved a problem?' i kinda feel both are asking the same but wondering if I'm missing something
    I have this problem too! Would be great if anyone could clarify. @Jessica Booker would a personal experience be okay to write about when the question is about a 'challenge'? Can I message you as this is quite personal?

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Overcoming a challenge: something that shows your strength of character and resilience to get through something (personal or professional) that you found personally difficult. Like a difficult circumstance that you overcame, what you learnt and what that shows about you as a person. How this would mean you have the inner strength to get through the gruelling challenge of becoming a lawyer.

solved a problem is completely difficult: when have you faced a complex task, a Gordian knot that you had to work out? Like a work task that seemed impossible. How did you go about it? Are you creative, do you think laterally, can you be given a challenge and head off, sort it all by yourself? Can you come up with ideas that others can’t?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: karinny and Sonia_Kawaii

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    So I think the differentiation really comes from the possibility that the two things can be mutually exclusive.

A problem is something which has a negative impact and, thus, needs solved or rectified in some way. For example, if you're a sound tech at a gig and the sound system breaks before the gig starts, that is a problem because it needs rectified urgently for the gig to go ahead.
    A challenge, however, doesn't have to be a problem - that is to say, there is not always something which needs rectified to start the challenge. Someone might, for example, have a very functional level of fitness but nevertheless challenge themselves to take on a marathon. They aren't fixing any problems by taking on a marathon, they are simply setting themselves a challenge because they want to. The challenge is defined as being something which is difficult, or tough in some way but is a tangible goal which can be met with targets and aspirations.

The confusion can arise in situations where a problem and a challenge can overlap somewhat - for example, in our sound tech scenario, the sound system failing is a problem. Whether it is also a challenge depends on the nature of the system failing: if it's a really easy fix ("turn it off and back on again"), it's not a challenge. If it's a nightmare to fix (blown fuses, snapped cables etc), it is then a challenge to fix as it is a complex job.

Hope this helps!

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Overcoming a challenge: something that shows your strength of character and resilience to get through something (personal or professional) that you found personally difficult. Like a difficult circumstance that you overcame, what you learnt and what that shows about you as a person. How this would mean you have the inner strength to get through the gruelling challenge of becoming a lawyer.

solved a problem is completely difficult: when have you faced a complex task, a Gordian knot that you had to work out? Like a work task that seemed impossible. How did you go about it? Are you creative, do you think laterally, can you be given a challenge and head off, sort it all by yourself? Can you come up with ideas that others can’t?
    Perfect! Thank you - you're always saving lives on here haha 😂

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019

To me, solving a problem seems more clinical and is something that demonstrates intellect and seeing the big picture, while overcoming a challenge seems to be getting at more resilience/perseverance, could be wrong though
    So I think the differentiation really comes from the possibility that the two things can be mutually exclusive.

A problem is something which has a negative impact and, thus, needs solved or rectified in some way. For example, if you're a sound tech at a gig and the sound system breaks before the gig starts, that is a problem because it needs rectified urgently for the gig to go ahead.
    A challenge, however, doesn't have to be a problem - that is to say, there is not always something which needs rectified to start the challenge. Someone might, for example, have a very functional level of fitness but nevertheless challenge themselves to take on a marathon. They aren't fixing any problems by taking on a marathon, they are simply setting themselves a challenge because they want to. The challenge is defined as being something which is difficult, or tough in some way but is a tangible goal which can be met with targets and aspirations.

The confusion can arise in situations where a problem and a challenge can overlap somewhat - for example, in our sound tech scenario, the sound system failing is a problem. Whether it is also a challenge depends on the nature of the system failing: if it's a really easy fix ("turn it off and back on again"), it's not a challenge. If it's a nightmare to fix (blown fuses, snapped cables etc), it is then a challenge to fix as it is a complex job.

Hope this helps!
    these are so helpful! thank you so much :) in my recent interview feedback i was told i could've used a better example for overcoming a challenge as now i realise i gave more of a problem-solving answer, which got me thinking! thanks again guys :)

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021

Hope this helps!
    That's been extremely helpful!! Makes it a lot clearer now that you've explained it this way. I was always a little confused 😅 Thank youuu!!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020

Hope this helps!
    Could have not explained it better and as always your replies are so helpful.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    There can be cross over.

But to me a challenge is something that requires determination, hard work, grit, self drive, persistence, resilience.

Over coming a problem could be something that requires creativity, lateral thinking, thinking outside of the box, taking a different approach.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I have this problem too! Would be great if anyone could clarify. @Jessica Booker would a personal experience be okay to write about when the question is about a 'challenge'? Can I message you as this is quite personal?
    Yes you can PM me.

Personal circumstances can be used for challenges, although I think you have to be very comfortable in disclosing them further in an interview if you do put them on an application form.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.