TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

law89

Star Member
Feb 10, 2021
Does anyone know if Pinsent Masons takes on many trainees from their direct TC route?
Also, I note that the character limit for each of their application questions is 4000 characters (around 700 words). Would you be expected to pretty much fill this character count even though it is so high? I only ask as other firms have had much shorter character counts for the same type of questions and I don't want to risk sending in an unnecessarily longer answer if this is not necessary. (I.e I feel that I can answer one of the questions in 400 words and ideally don't want to have to somehow make up the 700 words when I don't think anything added will add to my answer).

JayC

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 8, 2021
Does anyone know if Pinsent Masons takes on many trainees from their direct TC route?
Also, I note that the character limit for each of their application questions is 4000 characters (around 700 words). Would you be expected to pretty much fill this character count even though it is so high? I only ask as other firms have had much shorter character counts for the same type of questions and I don't want to risk sending in an unnecessarily longer answer if this is not necessary. (I.e I feel that I can answer one of the questions in 400 words and ideally don't want to have to somehow make up the 700 words when I don't think anything added will add to my answer).
If it includes spaces then I’d think that’s more like 500 words (google also says on average 4000 characters is 500 words) and some other firms have that so probably try to come in with at least 450 words on each, although probably there’s a bit more flexibility since it’s a character count

Reactions: law89

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I quite regularly see PM applications that don’t use the full character limit. As long as you answer the question and your answer is well structured, I wouldn’t worry if it is closer to 3,000 characters.

A

Anon 11031

Thank you for your responses Jay & Jessica that really helps!
I'm not sure if it helps but my characters for each question were 3500, 3700 and 3990 respectively. At first I found the limit a bit overwhelming but it does include spaces, meaning it ends up being about 500 words.

I also found that once I started writing my answers there was much more information I wanted to include than I'd initially thought! Good luck ☺️

• Love

33c

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 8, 2020
the firm that offered me a TC a month ago still hasn't sent me the documentation even though i've made clear to them verbally that my intention is to accept and i've rejected other offers to do so - this is my anxiety talking but do you guys think I should email them next week (it'll be 5 weeks since offer) to see when they'll send it to me?? Because next month I'll be in a difficult situation where the CSFS will probably offer me a placement which i wouldn't feel comfortable rejecting unless I've put pen to paper with the law firm. or do you guys think i should just chill and wait for it? I'm still in shock they offered it to me in the first place 😂

Also, since I won't be doing the VS with them, HR said if I had an interest in a particular practice area they'd put me in touch for a Zoom coffee/email with an associate/partner etc from that area. I'm totally new to corporate/commercial law so everything looks new and shiny and amazing to me - if you guys were in that situation what practice area do you think is particularly interesting or would be fun to get exposure to??
Hey I'm not sure if someone already answered your question but is this for Dentons? I was offered a TC following the VS and the offer letter went into my spam folder so it might be worth checking there!! :)

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Hey I'm not sure if someone already answered your question but is this for Dentons? I was offered a TC following the VS and the offer letter went into my spam folder so it might be worth checking there!! :)
    Hey no worries I got it through yesterday after chasing up with HR! And omg are you a future trainee?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys on an application if a question asks to list scholarships and achievements can we list that we got a TCLA scholarship will that look bad or good on an application. Thoughts on this @Jaysen @Jessica Booker and will you lot be okay with this been put on an application.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Guys on an application if a question asks to list scholarships and achievements can we list that we got a TCLA scholarship will that look bad or good on an application. Thoughts on this @Jaysen @Jessica Booker and will you lot be okay with this been put on an application.
    I'm sure this would be great to include in an application!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Yes, you can include your TCLA scholarship. I know several of our previous scholars have included it in applications.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What’s a TCLA scholarship?
    We run a scholarship programme each year that gives people access to our premium content.

Scholarships are awarded on the basis of any of the following factors:
    • Financial circumstances
    • Being from an underrepresented group
    • Where a scholarship will make a substantial impact to your application journey
    For 2021, we awarded 85 scholarships. The next programme is likely to be announced at the end of this year.

You can find out more information here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/scholarship/

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.