TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jw97

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2020
    Has anyone got any experience with a McQuaig Word Survey test? Just got sent one to do before my AC and I've never even heard of it before?

karinny

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 17, 2021
    Hey all,

I received an email from Keebles saying

'Thank you for your application for a training contract at Keebles LLP. We recently announced the exciting news that Knights plc is acquiring Keebles LLP. Therefore, whilst we align our trainee recruitment processes with the Knights plc processes, the decision has been taken for Keebles LLP to withdraw from this application process and not to proceed with any of the applications received.'

I'm really confused? I spent a lot of time on this application and I honestly feel played hahaha, just really wasn't expecting this. Does this happen often?

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey all,

'Thank you for your application for a training contract at Keebles LLP. We recently announced the exciting news that Knights plc is acquiring Keebles LLP. Therefore, whilst we align our trainee recruitment processes with the Knights plc processes, the decision has been taken for Keebles LLP to withdraw from this application process and not to proceed with any of the applications received.'

I'm really confused? I spent a lot of time on this application and I honestly feel played hahaha, just really wasn't expecting this. Does this happen often?
    It's a real shame that candidates have only been told this after making applications, but it will probably be down to the fact that the firm wouldn't have wanted rumours about mergers etc before everything was confirmed.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Hey all,

Wow that's atrocioius, and a pretty awfully drafted email to candidates who have worked hard and spent time preparing an application!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Does TCLA have resources/guides for current trainees, where to qualify and how to find NQ positions?

This is long-term thinking as I start the TC in September but I have a couple of lever arch files where I collate all my careers-related work 😅

Unfortunately not at this point. We are hoping to come out with more content related to future trainees/trainees soon!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey all,

It’s happened several times before when firms have merged/been bought out. It’s frustrating, but is unfortunately part of the process. It isn’t unknown for when firms merge for TCs to either have a delayed start date, or worse, offers to be retracted too (not always the case though before people panic!).

In the general job market, it is very common to apply for jobs and then for the job not to exist later down the line. It’s harsh but it’s a reality of the job market I would encourage people to get used to/prepare for. You’ll probably experience it more in your career than you will for trainee roles.

• Sad
    Reactions: karinny
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.