TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
was wondering if anyone knew how possible it is to move from training in-house into private practice - i was thinking of applying to the bbc training programme but if its going to be impossible to move into private practice afterwards I might not bother! I was specifically thinking about moving into mid-size media/entertainment firms or IP firms so not aiming for MC/US which i know is probably not possible after training in-house
@Jessica Booker would you be able to advise on this? thank you so much!
I don't really have any authority on this subject but I attended a talk with a trainee on the BBC programme and she had done a 6-month secondment to Reed Smith as part of her training which seems like it might make it easier to switch into private practice following the programme as you'd have experience of that as well as in-house!

Elle W

Valued Member
Jan 12, 2021
finally received my Simmons rejection today after doing the VI and tests in Jan. They invited me to an AC for their Evolve placement year though. Has anyone else had this? And has anyone done the AC yet?
I had that email just before Easter but I still haven't been given a date for the AC! Did they give you any more details? Can I PM you?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
was wondering if anyone knew how possible it is to move from training in-house into private practice - i was thinking of applying to the bbc training programme but if its going to be impossible to move into private practice afterwards I might not bother! I was specifically thinking about moving into mid-size media/entertainment firms or IP firms so not aiming for MC/US which i know is probably not possible after training in-house
@Jessica Booker would you be able to advise on this? thank you so much!
It won’t be impossible, especially if the firm you are moving to has a strong media focus. But it’s not going to be easy or straight forward. There will be plenty of private practice lawyers in the market too - and your experience as an in-house lawyer will be very different to working as a private practice lawyer - the main one being your client is only ever one organisation, while. A private practice lawyer will work across clients/sectors/industries.

The best way to try and find out and give you some indication is using the search function on LinkedIn. Having had a quick basic look myself, it seemed most people had moved the other way or had worked at organisations like the BBC through secondments.

From the looks of it, you’ll be more likely just to move to another in-house role.

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Did anyone else get an email from gibson dunn that they liked your app but have filled all vs places?

still waiting on Mayer brown after doing the tests too lol
I'm not completely sure for you personally, but re Mayer Brown I received an email months ago saying that all their places have been filled?

Reactions: Haz

GK8997

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2020
Amazing news!! They are my No. 1 choice, and I've got a one-week virtual vacation scheme coming up with them in late June. Any vague advice / how I could prepare between now and then? 🙏

I'm *slightly* concerned because my main area of interest is global investigations / white collar and I know their main source of revenue is private equity. Not sure whether I should be focusing on building up a solid knowledge of private equity over the next couple of months or just 'accepting myself as I am' and just marketing myself as a candidate towards their investigations team.
I've pmed you!

A

Anon 11031

It doesn't have the option to apply for the TC on mine, just states 'no options available to apply' and shows my VS app
I didn't apply for the VS but I have signed up to their portal and I can apply for the TC. I think the only way you could at this point would be to withdraw, or email them and ask - although they don't seem to be getting back to anyone 😕

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Amazing news!! They are my No. 1 choice, and I've got a one-week virtual vacation scheme coming up with them in late June. Any vague advice / how I could prepare between now and then? 🙏

I'm *slightly* concerned because my main area of interest is global investigations / white collar and I know their main source of revenue is private equity. Not sure whether I should be focusing on building up a solid knowledge of private equity over the next couple of months or just 'accepting myself as I am' and just marketing myself as a candidate towards their investigations team.
    I'd definitely look to do some PE research and build up your knowledge so you can try and impress on your scheme since PE is as you say such a big part of the firm. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't to reach out to people in those WC/investigation teams if that's what interests you! On the contrary, these schemes are a great opportunity to speak to experts in those fields and to try your hand at really interesting work so absolutely make the most of it :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

I completely agree with everything @Daniel Boden has already mentioned!

I think it's really important to have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the firm's bread and butter stuff for sure - some time building an understanding of PE, financing, the PE cycle etc etc will be very well spent i think.

Equally, though, having a passion and interest in a given area is also 100% worthwhile and completely valid - so long as it doesn't come at the expense of not having a sound understanding of other areas!

I think, also, it's really important to justify your interest in a given firm if the team you've got that specific interest in isn't one of their biggest teams. Be ready to be pushed on things like "why not X firm who do this work too?" etc.

Very best of luck!

Reactions: Jaysen and Daniel Boden
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.