TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    i feel for you as I’m in the same position. To everyone saying make sure you prepare well for it - how can you prepare well for a vacation scheme? I have no idea what kind of tasks I’ll be given so I feel like there’s not much I can do?

Dan's already linked you to one of our best threads, but here's a few more recent ones too:
    1. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/virtual-vacation-schemes-top-tips.2459/
    2. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ng-contract-top-tips-in-2021.3454/#post-64947
    3. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....overy-trainee-anything.3515/page-2#post-70626 - examples of tasks you can expect during the VS
    4. https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....lications-discussion.2732/page-745#post-67731 - advice specifically on conversion interviews
    Really hope at least some of that helps!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    I'm v v nervous my fiancee finds out about this because I'll 100% be on the hook for a wedding at Selfridges 😂
    Your fiancee has excellent taste! Wedding at Selfridges would be a dream (second only to a Maldives beach wedding maybe) 😂

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    OMG this is super lucky someone else is in the same situation and what a coincidence because I think mine also may be in disputes... 🤣 I know it would be amazing experience (and I guess help with the LPC later down the line as well) but I guess I'm kind of daunted by the idea of it since I have no idea what paralegals do really (apart from things like research and administrative duties) and I've already got the imposter syndrome lol. What was your main thought when you decided to take the paralegalling offer? Do you think there can be any disadvantages to that over doing a Masters aside from obviously you're not pursuing academic stuff?

I'm not in the same position at all, but objectively speaking I think you will learn a lot more from paralegaling than the Masters. I think real world work experience is always better than purely academic experience plus as Jacob has said, its a chance to build your network at the firm, learning your way around and at the very least knowing how the printers work haha. I'd only go with doing the Masters if it's a subject you're really passionate about and genuinely want to pursue further.

anon101

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 2, 2020
    Hi everyone,

I recently secured a TC after a spring VS (very thankful to TCLA in the process because it was a BIG part of my support system). I was asked by my university careers services for advice to share on our portal and I drafted this comprehensive document on how to approach virtual vacation schemes. I thought it's only right that I shared it here with the TCLA community as well so it can benefit anyone who might have a VS lined up. The caveat is, of course, these are things that worked for me and I can't say they'll 100% work for you but I hope it's a good point of reference.

Good luck!

Attachments

• How to Approach a Virtual VS.docx
      19.2 KB · Views: 299

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To add into Jacob and Dheepa's comments, I think it also really depends on how much you want to do PG study. If that is some kind of personal aspiration/bucket list item, then my advice would be to go ahead with it (assuming you can afford it etc) as you won't necessarily find it easy to find the time to do it later on. Even if your law firm gives you a sabbatical, you typically have other commitments that can contradict against pursuing further study (e.g. mortgages/children) on a full-time basis, and if your considering it on a part-time basis as an associate, then you'll need to be willing to sacrifice something else (usually your social life) to balance both commitments.

• Love
    Reactions: Kablahc

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I recently secured a TC after a spring VS (very thankful to TCLA in the process because it was a BIG part of my support system). I was asked by my university careers services for advice to share on our portal and I drafted this comprehensive document on how to approach virtual vacation schemes. I thought it's only right that I shared it here with the TCLA community as well so it can benefit anyone who might have a VS lined up. The caveat is, of course, these are things that worked for me and I can't say they'll 100% work for you but I hope it's a good point of reference.

Good luck!
    Big congrats on your TC! And thank you so much for coming back to contribute such a useful guide! I've just had a skim through it and the advice is fantastic! Will definitely bookmark and direct users to it in the future! ☺️

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Good luck!
    Thank you so much for sharing this!!!

• Love
    Reactions: anon101

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Good luck!

This is so useful for me, particularly the stuff on written assessments, as my incoming Summer VS has no exit interview and is pretty much entirely assessed on the work I produce and whether I'm a good cultural fit. I'm absolutely going to keep your points in mind!

• Love

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Hi everyone,

Good luck!
    Thanks so much for sharing this - I've been looking for a way to structure my thoughts and preparation. This document has really sped up that process for me!
    Congratulations on getting your TC as well :D

• Love

ELaw2021

Future Trainee
    Apr 27, 2021
    Hi everyone,

Good luck!
    This is so useful - thank you! And congratulations on securing your TC!

• Love

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hello! I haven't heard back from the first stage of the Withers Training Contract interview in quite a while and I was wondering whether I should contact Graduate Recruitment to ask for an update? I had my interview on the 30th of April! :)

Hey - did grad recruitment give you an estimate of when you can hope to hear?

If you take a look at the old vacation scheme thread, many people who interviewed for the Withers vacation scheme waited 4-6 weeks before hearing back. It looks like they see quite a few people (if not everyone) before making decisions - so you'd probably be best holding off for some time.

Hope this helps!

• Love
    Reactions: CJM.UC

CJM.UC

Star Member
  • Feb 1, 2020
    Hey - did grad recruitment give you an estimate of when you can hope to hear?

If you take a look at the old vacation scheme thread, many people who interviewed for the Withers vacation scheme waited 4-6 weeks before hearing back. It looks like they see quite a few people (if not everyone) before making decisions - so you'd probably be best holding off for some time.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you so much! To be honest, they were quite vague about timings but your advice is really helpful!! I'll try not to stress too much about it because, in my books, no news is good news!!! For now!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi everyone,

Good luck!
    This is very generous of you - thank you for sharing!

• Love

LawGrad2019

Distinguished Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Thank you so much! To be honest, they were quite vague about timings but your advice is really helpful!! I'll try not to stress too much about it because, in my books, no news is good news!!! For now!

Absolutely! I didn't hear for maybe 5/6 weeks - I saw people getting offers on LinkedIn so wrote myself off, but then I was offered a vac scheme. So don't worry at all :)

s.k.o

Star Member
    Jan 14, 2019
    Hi guys,

Just struggling with a WG assumption question, please would love your opinions.

Statement: If you don't believe me, I'll prove it to you logically"

Proposed Assumptions:

- Logical proof will cause you to alter your belief about the matter under discussion.

- What I present as logical proof will influence your thinking

I'll be grateful if anyone can share their thoughts on if assumptions are made or not

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Hi guys,

Just struggling with a WG assumption question, please would love your opinions.

Statement: If you don't believe me, I'll prove it to you logically"

Proposed Assumptions:

- Logical proof will cause you to alter your belief about the matter under discussion.

- What I present as logical proof will influence your thinking

I'll be grateful if anyone can share their thoughts on if assumptions are made or not
    The first proposed assumption. The assumption isn't about thinking, it's about what the listener is influenced to believe

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.