TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    A really good summary of creditor and debtor in the commercial breakdown @Jaysen and when I was reading it I was wondering what about debt finance would that be considered in this also or is debt finance different from the debtor. Sorry I didn't know which forum to discuss this.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Hey all!

One thing I really don't miss about the application cycle is how emotionally and psychologically draining it can be, and the negative impact it can take on applicants' mental health. I'm almost even more conscious of that now, I think largely due to being a part of the forum and seeing that impact objectively across so many people.

It's also got me thinking, though, about the importance of having hobbies or pastimes as an outlet away from things like the application cycle, and I'd be really interested to hear about your outside interests and how you use them for headspace and to get away from some of the stressors of applications!

My "main" hobby for the last six months or so has been getting into coffee - I bought a decent espresso machine at the end of last year and, as I started to read more about coffee more generally, it's really piqued my interest and it's fair to say I've gone down the rabbit hole! I've also got more into different styles of coffee, so making pour-overs etc as well as espresso and espresso-based drinks like lattes and flat whites. I love it because, no matter how much I improve, there's always more to learn and improve on - I think it feeds into my enjoyment of having something there that, although fundamentally a hobby, is also really mentally stimulating and I never feel like I'm wasting time because I'm learning and developing a skillset.

I've been focussing most recently on my latte art! Still a lot of improving to do but I'm finally starting to make some progress with it. This was one of my morning flat whites from a few days ago :)

latte art.jpg

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    A really good summary of creditor and debtor in the commercial breakdown @Jaysen and when I was reading it I was wondering what about debt finance would that be considered in this also or is debt finance different from the debtor. Sorry I didn't know which forum to discuss this.
    So in a debt finance situation, the person purchasing the debt (for example, a company performing a leveraged buyout) is the debtor and the financial institutions selling the debt facility are creditors. Creditors and debtors are just umbrella terms used for any sort of debt arrangement :)

Reactions: Jaysen

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hey all!

One thing I really don't miss about the application cycle is how emotionally and psychologically draining it can be, and the negative impact it can take on applicants' mental health. I'm almost even more conscious of that now, I think largely due to being a part of the forum and seeing that impact objectively across so many people.

It's also got me thinking, though, about the importance of having hobbies or pastimes as an outlet away from things like the application cycle, and I'd be really interested to hear about your outside interests and how you use them for headspace and to get away from some of the stressors of applications!

My "main" hobby for the last six months or so has been getting into coffee - I bought a decent espresso machine at the end of last year and, as I started to read more about coffee more generally, it's really piqued my interest and it's fair to say I've gone down the rabbit hole! I've also got more into different styles of coffee, so making pour-overs etc as well as espresso and espresso-based drinks like lattes and flat whites. I love it because, no matter how much I improve, there's always more to learn and improve on - I think it feeds into my enjoyment of having something there that, although fundamentally a hobby, is also really mentally stimulating and I never feel like I'm wasting time because I'm learning and developing a skillset.

I've been focussing most recently on my latte art! Still a lot of improving to do but I'm finally starting to make some progress with it. This was one of my morning flat whites from a few days ago :)

View attachment 3340
    I agree 100% with you it is emotionally draining and it can have an impact on a person's mental health the rejections. I am a big football supporter so I watch football weekly and watch my team play so that gets my mind off applications. Also, I am a big WWE fan so always watch wrestling weekly. Also, I am not going to say which team I support as it will cause a huge debate here.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    So in a debt finance situation, the person purchasing the debt (for example, a company performing a leveraged buyout) is the debtor and the financial institutions selling the debt facility are creditors. Creditors and debtors are just umbrella terms used for any sort of debt arrangement :)
    Thank you very much for this and I understand as I studied debt and equity finance on m,y LLB in Company Law so it came to mind.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I agree 100% with you it is emotionally draining and it can have an impact on a person's mental health the rejections. I am a big football supporter so I watch football weekly and watch my team play so that gets my mind off applications. Also, I am a big WWE fan so always watch wrestling weekly. Also, I am not going to say which team I support as it will cause a huge debate here.

Hey all!

View attachment 3340
    Haha as an Arsenal fan I doubt watching your team causes as much annoyance as watching Arsenal does for me, especially this season 😂😭

For me, my outlet has always been sport, with field hockey in particular being my biggest focus away from applications. Training with senior internationals twice a week and playing matches at a weekend definitely gets your mind away from applications as instead, you're just focussing on trying to keep up with those guys haha. I suppose the post-training/post-match beers are always a welcome distraction too :)

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    Did someone ask for a huge debate?

You should get into AEW rather than WWE my man. Way better action, stories and has Mike Tyson popping up for no good reason

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Haha as an Arsenal fan I doubt watching your team causes as much annoyance as watching Arsenal does for me, especially this season 😂😭

For me, my outlet has always been sport, with field hockey in particular being my biggest focus away from applications. Training with senior internationals twice a week and playing matches at a weekend definitely gets your mind away from applications as instead, you're just focussing on trying to keep up with those guys haha. I suppose the post-training/post-match beers are always a welcome distraction too :)
    Luckily you got your TC as that would be even more depressing TC applications and football bad results but don't worry I hope you lot get a new owner that Spotify guy and hope he buys Arsenal.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey all!

View attachment 3340
    You attempted any swans as of yet? Always thought that was the mark of an elite level barista haha

• Haha
    Reactions: Alison C

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    This is simply gorgeous!! And I agree! Not only do the hobbies give you a good break from work/study and then apps but I find it can make interviews far more interesting (may even be a gamechanger)

So I collect comic books (my first job when I was 15 was in a shop), play bass guitar, go running, play touch rugby every week and lead a church group
    Thank you! As I say, still got a way to go and more to learn but it's nice to start seeing some results!

Music is definitely an amazing outlet and boosts morale hugely. I also sing - mainly in the shower or car now it has to be said, I used to do weddings but that fell by the wayside as I got slammed with uni! Do you play in a band or just for fun?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey all!

View attachment 3340
    I really love this post and it’s got me craving a flat white!!

I rediscovered my love of reading and find it is something which helps me to wind down. Some of my favourite books I’ve read recently are:
    - The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary
    - Half a World Away by Mike Gayle
    - Where the Crawdads Sing by Deilia Owens
    - The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri
    - Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
    - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

I also enjoy going to parks and open spaces to sit and maybe have a coffee if the weather permits or go for a walk with my dog. It’s really good to enjoy the fresh air and I find it quite grounding to get out in nature.

Something a bit different is I started to look into my family tree a little bit online last year. I think some sites like Ancestry do free trials and I can’t remember which platform I used but it was interesting to research! This is something I want to do a little more of!

Finally, I’m very lucky in that my partner likes to cook but I’ve been trying my hand at doing something different every week for us and have tried to take inspiration from different cuisines. Last week, I made ramen which was surprisingly delicious, if I may say so myself :D, and tomorrow night I’m going to be doing tacos (watch this space and will let you guys know how I get on!!)

It would be great to hear what else you guys enjoy doing, it’s great to be inspired and try new things!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I now want a coffee thanks to @Jacob Miller ! Can’t have one until tomorrow though, unless I want to be awake at 3.00am 😵‍💫

My hobby has actually been a money earner too. I basically dog walk/dog sit for people when needed. I like it as animals proper chill me out, and the exercise from walking generally does me good. It doesn’t earn me a huge amount of money, but in the past it has typically paid for a nice holiday each year if I have enough capacity outside of “proper” work. Highly recommend it if you like animals but can’t have them in your house too!

djqb

Legendary Member
    Sep 6, 2020
    Hey is this the Dubai summer internship? Have you heard back from them?

Hi is this for the Dubai internship? And if so when did you hear back after the telephone interview?

Hi sorry for the late reply, but yes I have an AC coming up with them next week for the DXB Internship. I got an email from them last week informing me of the same. Hope this helps! :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I really love this post and it’s got me craving a flat white!!

I rediscovered my love of reading and find it is something which helps me to wind down. Some of my favourite books I’ve read recently are:
    - The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary
    - Half a World Away by Mike Gayle
    - Where the Crawdads Sing by Deilia Owens
    - The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christy Lefteri
    - Girl, Woman, Other by Bernadine Evaristo
    - Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman

I also enjoy going to parks and open spaces to sit and maybe have a coffee if the weather permits or go for a walk with my dog. It’s really good to enjoy the fresh air and I find it quite grounding to get out in nature.

Something a bit different is I started to look into my family tree a little bit online last year. I think some sites like Ancestry do free trials and I can’t remember which platform I used but it was interesting to research! This is something I want to do a little more of!

Finally, I’m very lucky in that my partner likes to cook but I’ve been trying my hand at doing something different every week for us and have tried to take inspiration from different cuisines. Last week, I made ramen which was surprisingly delicious, if I may say so myself :D, and tomorrow night I’m going to be doing tacos (watch this space and will let you guys know how I get on!!)

It would be great to hear what else you guys enjoy doing, it’s great to be inspired and try new things!!
    I think that Eleanor Oliphant is completly fine is one of the best books I have ever read!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    I think that Eleanor Oliphant is completly fine is one of the best books I have ever read!
    So interestingly that’s the only one in that list which isn’t a ‘recent’ read per se, but it’s really stuck with me which is a sure sign of a good book, I reckon!

Reactions: S87
    A

Anon 11031

Going to chime in on the hobbies discussion. I really enjoy the following for 'downtime':

- Playing video games, I also run a forum for women gamers. It's something I'm super passionate about. I absolutely love playing Destiny 2, AC, Call of Duty, Bioshock, Fallout...the list goes on.
    - Cooking. Over lockdown I've gotten back into my passion for cooking. Korean and Japanese recipes are my favourite and I've expanded my kitchen and gotten lots of new equipment!
    - Painting. Over the past year I've gotten back into my love of portrait painting. Would you believe before I decided to me a solicitor I wanted to be a graphic designer? 🤷‍♀️
    - Reading cult fiction. I've now finished all of Chuck Palahniuk's books. He is my favourite author and I'm meeting him this year!

There you go! ☺️

Last edited by a moderator:

kr253

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2021
    Sorry to ask a boring and slightly annoying question in the middle of a fun chat about hobbies, but...
    I've been given a form to fill in ahead of a mini vac scheme, which includes a section "About yourself (This will be shared with the team that you will be joining)". I'm probably way overthinking this, but should I use this just for professional info, i.e. my past roles, or should I include some personal info like what I enjoy doing in my spare time? The rest of this form is just about my studies.

And to add to the hobbies discussion...
    - I use cooking and baking a lot to chill out - I've been 'that person' getting into sourdough, and also baking lots of cakes and making ice cream! My fiance actually had to ask me to stop baking recently because we had so many sweet treats in the house and there's only so many cakes two people can eat...
    - I love reading. I just finished Dolly Alderton's novel 'Ghosts', which I really enjoyed, and Elif Shafak's '10 Minutes 38 Seconds in This Strange World'. Also enjoyed Lucy Foley's 'The Hunting Party' for a bit of murder mystery.
    - I also need my daily dose of fresh air and exercise!

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Going to chime in on the hobbies discussion. I really enjoy the following for 'downtime':

- Playing video games, I also run a forum for women gamers. It's something I'm super passionate about. I absolutely love playing Destiny 2, AC, Call of Duty, Bioshock, Fallout...the list goes on.
    - Cooking. Over lockdown I've gotten back into my passion for cooking. Korean and Japanese recipes are my favourite and I've expanded my kitchen to lots of new equipment!
    - Painting. Over the past year I've gotten back into my love of portrait painting. Would you believe before I decided to me a solicitor I wanted to be a graphic designer? 🤷‍♀️
    - Reading cult fiction. I've now finished all of Chuck Palahniuk's books. He is my favourite author and I'm meeting him this year!

There you go! ☺️
    Ahh if you have any favourite dishes, let me know! Definitely looking to refine my cooking skills and try new things! :D

• Love
    Reactions: Anon 11031
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.