TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kablahc

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    Go in with enthusiasm, give everything your best then take on board feedback offered, offer to help colleagues or the team if you have spare capacity, find your own methods for managing your day and tasks, read around the topics (PLC is a good start) if there's things you're unfamilar with. Things may be a steep learning curve, so you may only start to get the hang of things 3-6 months in

These are the same tips that would apply to someone starting a TC as well I feel
    Thank you so much!!!!!! This is so helpful!! I'll try and keep the growth mindset :)

Have you done the GDL/LLB or LPC yet?
    Just finished my LLB, LPC not yet!

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Thank you so much!!!!!! This is so helpful!! I'll try and keep the growth mindset :)

Just finished my LLB, LPC not yet!

Ah this is quite key. So if you haven't done the LPC, I would say enthusiasm is the main thing and making good use of practical law as well as the database of precedents and draft contracts on your firm's intranet. After all, if you haven't learnt the key professional practice stuff that you get on the LPC, they can hardly fault you for not knowing it yet!

• Love
    Reactions: Kablahc

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi Guys,

I am currently applying for a role and I am struggling with two questions.

1. Please provide details of a recent legal issue that you worked on. What was your involvement? What was the outcome? (500 words max).My plan is to talk about the work I have done on a very vague piece of legislation. Is this ok? I am confused by the term legal issue.

2.We take pride in our inclusivity and place a high value in flexible working. What impactful contribution have you made to create an inclusive working environment? (Max 300 words) My team and I worked on a very long task which lasted the whole summer, beyond managing the meetings and handling the workload, I also organised lunches to discuss about our respective backgrounds and how they impacted on our life. What do you think?

Your examples sound good to me! For the first one I’d approach it as I would approach a question on problem solving. So while the context of it being a legal issue is important to answer the question, I’d focus on explaining your thought process when solving the issue and if there were any areas of improvement following the outcome (even if the overall outcome was a positive one). Also love the example for the second one, again would just emphasise any extra steps you took following the discussion to help your team feel included despite any differences with regards to their backgrounds. Hope that helps!

Reactions: S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’ve just received a vacation scheme offer!!🥳 I just wanna know how to ask if the firm will be taking people on for a TC because it doesn’t say on the website and they have their TC applications still open!

looks like in the past people did get TC offers before covid but a lot have been given a YC after being a paralegal
    You can ask but I am not sure the answer really helps you, no matter what it is. My advice would be just focus on making the most of the vac scheme.

Reactions: Legalmel_99

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Guys, I wanted your opinion on this if a law firm only recruited 1 person from direct TC applications for their London office would you still apply for it or not. As taking into account all the factors that I don't attend a Russell group university and will be competing against all those candidates for 1 place would you still apply for the firm. What is everyone's views on this is it worth applying for it or wait until October to apply for their VS. Thank you in advance.

A

Anon 11031

Guys, I wanted your opinion on this if a law firm only recruited 1 person from direct TC applications for their London office would you still apply for it or not. As taking into account all the factors that I don't attend a Russell group university and will be competing against all those candidates for 1 place would you still apply for the firm. What is everyone's views on this is it worth applying for it or wait until October to apply for their VS. Thank you in advance.
    If it was me, I'd wait for the VS. The whole TC process is a combination of luck and skill. So if I'd wanted to maximise my chances, I'd go for the opportunity with the most places.

However, if you're confident you can produce an excellent application then go for the TC.

Hopefully that's an opinion that helps you a little ☺️

• Love
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If that’s the only opportunity you have to potentially secure a TC with the firm and they you have a strong preference for them, yes. You never know when one could become two, or three as well.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If it was me, I'd wait for the VS. The whole TC process is a combination of luck and skill. So if I'd wanted to maximise my chances, I'd go for the opportunity with the most places.

However, if you're confident you can produce an excellent application then go for the TC.

Hopefully that's an opinion that helps you a little ☺️
    Thank you very much for this appreciate it and I agree with you and the thing is that I recently got my motivation and confidence back after receiving many PFO's so am on the fence with this 1.
    If that’s the only opportunity you have to potentially secure a TC with the firm and they you have a strong preference for them, yes. You never know when one could become two, or three as well.
    Thank you very much Jessica for this and I agree with you so I will give it another think as I have completed the application but it is just is it worth submitting it or wait for VS.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Thank you very much for this appreciate it and I agree with you and the thing is that I recently got my motivation and confidence back after receiving many PFO's so am on the fence with this 1.

Thank you very much Jessica for this and I agree with you so I will give it another think as I have completed the application but it is just is it worth submitting it or wait for VS.
    Would there be anything to stop you applying for the TC, then applying again for the VS in October if you were unsuccessful this round?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Ultimately it is a question of opportunity cost. If you haven’t got the time and want to prioritise other applications, then the opportunity cost is higher than if you have the time and it’s a priority firm for you. That opportunity cost is always going to be such an individual calculation, put frankly, you’ll be better placed to work this out than any of us 😂😂😂

A

Anon 11031

Sorry to take away from the general discussion here. But, recruiters need more credit. I'm doing 20 interviews for the civil service over 4 days, just finished day one and I'm so exhausted!

Although, working from the other side it shows you that there are few people that come thoroughly prepared to interviews.

Reactions: OB and Jacob Miller
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.