TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Sorry to take away from the general discussion here. But, recruiters need more credit. I'm doing 20 interviews for the civil service over 4 days, just finished day one and I'm so exhausted!

Although, working from the other side it shows you that there are few people that come thoroughly prepared to interviews.
Interesting, what other things have you learned being on the recruiter side when recruiting applicants?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Would there be anything to stop you applying for the TC, then applying again for the VS in October if you were unsuccessful this round?
    No there would not be as they said you can apply for VS next cycle if you don't make it successful in this direct TC application cycle so there is no harm in applying I guess.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Ultimately it is a question of opportunity cost. If you haven’t got the time and want to prioritise other applications, then the opportunity cost is higher than if you have the time and it’s a priority firm for you. That opportunity cost is always going to be such an individual calculation, put frankly, you’ll be better placed to work this out than any of us 😂😂😂
    Yes, I agree with you but the concern I had before asking this was would I have a chance as rejection could affect your confidence and as I have completed the application I might improve it a bit more and then submit it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry to take away from the general discussion here. But, recruiters need more credit. I'm doing 20 interviews for the civil service over 4 days, just finished day one and I'm so exhausted!

Although, working from the other side it shows you that there are few people that come thoroughly prepared to interviews.
    rupauls drag race raven GIF

• Haha
    • Love
    Reactions: OB and Anon 11031
    A

Anon 11031

Interesting, what other things have you learned being on the recruiter side when recruiting applicants?
    It's definitely been interesting and insightful, no doubt it will help me with the government legal scheme application when I make it! To answer your question though, a few things...

- It's quite easy to spot when someone hasn't prepared at all.
    - Nerves don't really come across quite as blatantly as you think, even if you acknowledge that you're super nervous. Often when people start answering, they calm down!
    - Also, just as a general word of advice to everyone here... competency answers are much better when they're specific and narrow. I think there's a tendancy to go off track, but the best examples I've seen are succinct and direct!

Edit: Smiling and enthusiasm also go a LONG way!

Last edited by a moderator:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This was ever so slightly aimed at you 🎉

(I don't know how you do it!)
    I’m weird - I’m just designed to be a people observer. I people watch all the time when I am not even working….

Interviewing is exhausting though - worst was 40 “speed interviews” across two days 🤯

A

Anon 11031

I’m weird - I’m just designed to be a people observer. I people watch all the time when I am not even working….

Interviewing is exhausting though - worst was 40 “speed interviews” across two days 🤯
    That sounds like hell. I have 5-6 each day over the next few days. Although, civil service ones are about 45-60 minutes long each. I'm starting to realise that listening and probing are not my greatest skills, so this has been a great opportunity to refine them!

Also, I think the people best at this stuff are definitely natural observers!

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    No there would not be as they said you can apply for VS next cycle if you don't make it successful in this direct TC application cycle so there is no harm in applying I guess.
    Think you're answering your own question :)

If the opportunity cost is low, you've done the bulk of the work, and there's nothing to lose if you get knocked back, it would certainly make sense to me to send off the application.

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    wondering if anyone has any insight into this - what do I put when jobs ask for salary expectations especially if they are internships? I havent held a job that has paid a set salary so I feel like i dont have any expectations really or just want minimum wage tbh? but unsure of what that is per annum? thanks for your help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    wondering if anyone has any insight into this - what do I put when jobs ask for salary expectations especially if they are internships? I havent held a job that has paid a set salary so I feel like i dont have any expectations really or just want minimum wage tbh? but unsure of what that is per annum? thanks for your help!
    Many firms will provide their salary for internships per week. If they do, just times that by 52 if it's asking for an annual salary.

If they don't, then £310 per week or £16,000 per annum is minimum wage. If the firm is a living wage supporter, then it would be roughly £335 per week outside of London (£17,300) or £380 per week in London (£19,800).

CJCH

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 2, 2020
    I'm currently applying for the LPC and the scholarship at ULaw - could anyone share the insights or tips about the skills assessment for the scholarship? :)

Jooooopp7

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 25, 2019
    Many firms will provide their salary for internships per week. If they do, just times that by 52 if it's asking for an annual salary.

If they don't, then £310 per week or £16,000 per annum is minimum wage. If the firm is a living wage supporter, then it would be roughly £335 per week outside of London (£17,300) or £380 per week in London (£19,800).
    Super helpful thanks jessica!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.