TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Did you have the same issue of only receiving a confirmation email from cvmail after submitting your application and not from the firm itself???
I wouldn't expect a firm to also send a confirmation email - CV mail is the system they will use, so if CVMail have it, so do the firm.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    A good commercial awareness story this week has been the cryptocurrency losses if anyone is interested in discussing this I can make a thread if there is not a thread yet. By the way, I know very little about cryptocurrencies other than that whenever Elon Musk tweets the markets will change.
    Hey Asil, great suggestion! I think we are going to launch a discussion on this later today or tomorrow!

josemourinho

Star Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hey guys, I was wondering if I could ask some advice. I am going through some really difficult personal stuff right now which does not look like it will get better any time soon. I also have a vac scheme coming up at the end of June, and I am not sure I really have it in me to sit in front of a webcam and put my best foot forward. I can't move the vac scheme bc it is the last session the firm offers.
    Should I just pull out? I really really don't want to blow it but right now just getting out of bed is an achievement. Has anyone else had any experience with this at all? Thank you.

A

Anon 11031

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could ask some advice. I am going through some really difficult personal stuff right now which does not look like it will get better any time soon. I also have a vac scheme coming up at the end of June, and I am not sure I really have it in me to sit in front of a webcam and put my best foot forward. I can't move the vac scheme bc it is the last session the firm offers.
    Should I just pull out? I really really don't want to blow it but right now just getting out of bed is an achievement. Has anyone else had any experience with this at all? Thank you.
    Hi,

Firstly, I really hope you're surrounding yourself with people and seeking out the help you need - that's the most important first step in a situation like this. I'm sorry that you're feeling overwhelmed and have a lot going on - that must be very difficult for you.

It's really difficult to say, I'm afraid, as everyone's coping mechanisms are different. But, I can offer you a little bit of advice from my perspective and maybe it can help?

Last year, my father passed away and it was a really difficult time for me. I'd secured my job (that I'm currently in) and it was a great opportunity. After my father passed, I struggled a lot with depression and just general confusion from the turmoil of the situation. When I reached out to my employer, they couldn't push my start date any further back than they'd already done - so I had to make a choice.

The first thing I did is asked people that knew me well what they think I should do - mainly because I found it hard to think for myself. Secondly, I tried to think about what this could mean for my life and, in spite of the difficulties I had, how this job could be great for my future. Ultimately I arrived at the decision to start the job, and it's been quite good for me. Preparing and anticipating my new role helped me focus on something, when all I was doing beforehand was grieving.

On the other hand, had I decided not to take the job. I had the knowledge that, because I'd secured this position, I knew I could do it again. The same goes for your vac scheme. You're obviously a fantastic candidate and can do this again in the future, should you need to.

I cannot stress the importance of putting your mental health first, seeking support and doing what is right for you - not just what someone else tells you to do.

I hope things turn around for you soon, stranger. If you need a chat or want to talk about what's going on, please reach out via my DMs.

❤️

(Sorry for any bad grammar, I'm between calls at work!)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Hey, I'm super sorry to hear this. I'd recommend talking to the firm about your situation and maybe disclosing what you're going through (if you're comfortable). There's a chance they would be willing to interview you later in the year for a direct TC or maybe move you to a winter VS later on.

This is ultimately a hugely personal decision, but if I were in a similar position some things I would consider are:
    1. How would I feel after having turned down the VS? Will it affect my mental health more knowing I turned it down or is this a decision I can comfortably make with no regrets? While virtual vacs are exhausting, they are actually also pretty enjoyable. The shorter ones that only last a week also go by incredibly quickly. Maybe telling yourself you're doing it for the experience rather than for the TC per se will help take the pressure off of yourself and help you feel more able to do it.
    2. What would my position be for the upcoming cycles if I turned down the VS? Do I still have a strong set of experiences to draw on? Echoing @lawnoodle'd fantastic advice here, if you've secured a VS once you can absolutely do it again because you're clearly already a strong candidate having made it so far.
    I haven't been in a similar position before, but I do struggle with anxiety so I understand how difficult it is on the days when you can barely get out of bed. It's a tough decision to make, but while people might disagree I would put my mental health first. It's so easy to get caught up in the race to get a TC and to think you have to do it all within a certain time frame, but you have the better part of the next 30-40 years of your life to spend working. In the grand scheme of things, the extra application cycle you will have to go through to secure another VS and then a TC will not set you back by very much at all. Talk to your friends and family and try as hard as possible to ignore what third parties would say, do what's best for you.

I hope you feel better and I hope you do find it in yourself to do the VS if possible. Feel free to PM me as well if you'd like to talk about things in a bit more detail.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Rather than pull out completely, I would ask the firm whether they can defer you to next year’s programme. Explain the circumstances to them and ask if there is any alternative such as a deferral or alternatively going forward for as a direct TC applicant instead.

I think many firms would be supportive of a deferral though. I did this many times when the circumstances were such that it made sense.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

ilovetheDLR

Star Member
  • Feb 10, 2021
    Rather than pull out completely, I would ask the firm whether they can defer you to next year’s programme. Explain the circumstances to them and ask if there is any alternative such as a deferral or alternatively going forward for as a direct TC applicant instead.

I think many firms would be supportive of a deferral though. I did this many times when the circumstances were such that it made sense.
    I sadly find myself in a similar situation. Thinking of pulling out of a VS at firm A due to extenuating circumstances (only recruits through VS so probably can't ask for a direct TC interview).

I also have a few direct TC apps in the pipeline at the moment. If firm A agrees to defer the VS and I somehow get a TC through a direct app at firm B - will that reflect badly on me when I tell firm A that I got a TC and can no longer do the deferred VS?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice :)

@Jessica Booker

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I sadly find myself in a similar situation. Thinking of pulling out of a VS at firm A due to extenuating circumstances (only recruits through VS so probably can't ask for a direct TC interview).

I also have a few direct TC apps in the pipeline at the moment. If firm A agrees to defer the VS and I somehow get a TC through a direct app at firm B - will that reflect badly on me when I tell firm A that I got a TC and can no longer do the deferred VS?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice :)

@Jessica Booker
    This is going to sound brutal (and I don’t mean it to be, it’s just my direct tone!) but why would it matter what they thought?

You would have ultimately secured a TC elsewhere and have decided to accept it - that happens all the time when people secure VS and don’t defer. People withdraw from vac schemes all the time because they have secured a TC. I don’t see this being any different really.

Firms don’t really care when you turn them down for another firm. They don’t get offended by it - it’s just part of the recruitment process in a competitive market with lots of competitors.

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    I have a bit of a dilemma.
    I recently got offered a job as a legal admin at a family law firm locally (outside London). I’ve been applying for graduate roles in legal and compliance and policy in London and I am hoping to apply for many more. I really want to gain city experience and work with commercial/business clients, however this role will give me legal experience. I know this is a privileged position to be in but I’m not sure whether to take the job or continue to apply for other jobs that are more well suited to what I want to be doing. I also do not want to take up this role and leave 3 months down the line, because that would be unfair on the employer. Any advice would be super appreciated :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I recently got offered a job as a legal admin at a family law firm locally (outside London). I’ve been applying for graduate roles in legal and compliance and policy in London and I am hoping to apply for many more. I really want to gain city experience and work with commercial/business clients, however this role will give me legal experience. I know this is a privileged position to be in but I’m not sure whether to take the job or continue to apply for other jobs that are more well suited to what I want to be doing. I also do not want to take up this role and leave 3 months down the line, because that would be unfair on the employer. Any advice would be super appreciated :)
    There's a lot to consider in when making decisions like this, so I can't tell you what's best to do, but I can give you a few things I would be considering in the 'balancing act' if I were in your position:
    • How much do I need the job? Do I need it because I have a mortgage/ rent obligation and bills to pay and need to eat, or am I financially okay and primarily doing it for other reasons like personal development and experience?
    • Notwithstanding the financial side, are you in dire need of legal experience? Ironically, I think 'general' legal experience in other areas of law often isn't the be all and end all that applicants think it's going to be - if you're looking to take a position purely on the basis that you're wanting it to better your chances of ending up with a City TC, the job with the other firm may not drastically help.
    • Aside from making other applications, what is the opportunity cost of taking the role you've been offered? I.e., what else could you do as well as making other applications having knocked back the job to improve yourself as an applicant, that you couldn't do if you took the position?

Very best of luck regardless of what decision you make :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Realistically you won’t leave in three months even if you start the job next week. To do so, you need to be applying to the jobs now, and even then the application and recruitment processes can take more than 8 weeks and they can easily expect good candidates to be on 4-8 weeks notice.

Unless you are the later stages of the recruitment process for other roles you are more interested in, this is the most certain opportunity. If you are at the later stages of the recruitment process for roles that you think are better than this one, then try to either bring your other interview(s) forward by explaining you have a job offer, or see if you can delay making a decision on the offer you have so you can go through these interviews.

If you have only just applied to jobs, then you have to weigh up your individual strengths and how strong an applicant you are personally, but I wouldn’t be surprised if even a “good” applicant had less than a 1 in 15 chance of securing an interview, and then another 1 in 3 to 1 in 5 chance of securing the job post interview.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.