TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    How is everyone this evening? Anyone doing anything nice? I'm doing my 'due diligence' on a local pub near my new flat!

It's lovely to be back in places now they've started to open up again. Have you guys been back to your favourites or exploring new venues since restrictions

View attachment 3391
    Nothing much here I have been relaxing but next week am looking forward to Euro 2020 which is going to be exciting.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    well hello everyone - thought I would pop on to say I hope you are all well and that your apps are going well!
    Obi Wan Kenobi Hello GIF by Star Wars

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    How is everyone this evening? Anyone doing anything nice? I'm doing my 'due diligence' on a local pub near my new flat!

It's lovely to be back in places now they've started to open up again. Have you guys been back to your favourites or exploring new venues since restrictions

View attachment 3391
    Yes..I have been to 3 different garden pubs in 3 different areas..We made Uber rich since we are not taking public transport yet!
    It was lovely and also enjoyed the sun in Hampstead Heath which i strongly recommend!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jacob Miller

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    I have a vac scheme in about three weeks but I have non-stop uni work/research to do and I'm really freaking out that I'm not in the right mindset at all because I'm spread so thin, any tips?
    I've been in a similar situation these past few weeks - I would imagine that most have - I begin a scheme on Monday and haven't done a huge amount of preparation. But I honestly wouldn't stress too much about it. You secured the placement, so you must have shown a decent understanding of the firm and why you want to be there. Just try to make a little time each day to read an insight/commercial story which relates to the area you have been allocated to/the firms main practice areas.

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    I have a vac scheme in about three weeks but I have non-stop uni work/research to do and I'm really freaking out that I'm not in the right mindset at all because I'm spread so thin, any tips?
    I know exactly how you feel. I am doing the GDL so have exams for the next 2 weeks so haven't been able to go for some schemes as they run at the same time.

I would just focus on the now, from what I hear, Vac schemes are learning opportunities just as much as they are opportunities to impress and if you are offered a place then they are already interested in you. Don't risk losing out on a tc that you may end up being offered due to your grades sliding so give your uni work your all and maybe take the weekend before your scheme to research and prep. Everything will also then be fresh in your mind allowing you to apply yourself better on the scheme.

The last thing you want is to be on the scheme worrying about your uni work falling behind. Do your best to apply yourself to studies now so that it is a weight off when it comes to the scheme.

Also remember to take time for self care if you are feeling stretched thin. Even just an hour in a bubble bath with some good tunes can work wonders for pushing the rest button but find what works best for you.

Wishing you all the luck on your scheme, you'll smash it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    View attachment 3396
    It's all about the French Open for me for the next week and a half!
    I live around the corner from Queens Club. For a week and a half each year, my neighbourhood goes crazy. I missed the craziness last year though. Will be interesting to see what it is like this year. Assuming there won’t be big crowds still.

Hele25

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 5, 2021
    Hi everyone, so I’m applying to the legal training scheme with the civil service and one point of the application process is to detail ‘relevant employment and work experience’.
    (which then goes in to specify VC schemes, work placements etc). This seems to suggest legal ‘relevant’ work-experience only, but I’m a mature student and coming to law later and have worked for 8 years. Can I include this, even if none of it is related to legal work?
    thanks!!! :)

A

Anon 11031

Hi everyone, so I’m applying to the legal training scheme with the civil service and one point of the application process is to detail ‘relevant employment and work experience’.
    (which then goes in to specify VC schemes, work placements etc). This seems to suggest legal ‘relevant’ work-experience only, but I’m a mature student and coming to law later and have worked for 8 years. Can I include this, even if none of it is related to legal work?
    thanks!!! :)
    I just put down my employment from the last 3 years. I think somewhere it says that it will just be used as a discussion point if you make it to interviews? So I don't think they place a great deal of weight on it!

ar123

Mar 23, 2021
    If anyone has any advice about clashing dates with vacation schemes - I have just been offered a vac scheme for the week of 28th June, but have a large sports competition on the Friday of the scheme. Would it be a good idea to ask the firm if I can have the day away from the scheme or should I just drop my commitments? :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    If anyone has any advice about clashing dates with vacation schemes - I have just been offered a vac scheme for the week of 28th June, but have a large sports competition on the Friday of the scheme. Would it be a good idea to ask the firm if I can have the day away from the scheme or should I just drop my commitments? :)
    Being brutally honest, I think this would count against you unless it was a competition of major note - it could be perceived as being unable to prioritise correctly in the eyes if the firm (rightly or wrongly!) so, unless it's a super super important competition I would probably drop it. @Jessica Booker may disagree with me though!

Reactions: ar123 and S87
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.