TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I thinknit depends a lot on the context of the question you're answering or preparing for. Can you give us more information on this front so we can dive into it a bit more?
It is a cover letter for W&C and I am talking about their 2020 strategy which focused on building their presence in certain industries.
So, I would like to mention how this would benefit me as a potential trainee

thatwonder_woman

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2021
Hi everyone! I really enjoyed the TCLA webinar this evening about managing your mental health as a future lawyer. S/O to the TCLA team for the series. It was definitely affirming and really just great to see someone in the industry speak candidly about the topic.

Since accepting my TC offer, I have been reflecting a lot about how difficult the application process is + the impact it had on me/it can have on one’s overall mental and physical well-being (the anxiety, panic attacks, poor sleep from stress, low confidence etc.) I hope it’s okay but I thought to share that this inspired me to start a space on IG to talk about all of this + the well-being/mental aspect of the process here https://instagram.com/mindfully_law?utm_medium=copy_link (for anyone who may be interested).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
It is a cover letter for W&C and I am talking about their 2020 strategy which focused on building their presence in certain industries.
If it’s for a cover letter, then you only have to include what is relevant to you and your motivations. You don’t have to talk about it more generally (eg why the firm has it), you only have to explain why you think it will suit/benefit you as a trainee/junior lawyer.

Reactions: S87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does anyone have any tips/guidance on how to best prepare for an AC written case study? Thanks y’all 💕

@Jacob Miller 's article on case studies will be worth a read - Definitive Guide to Law Firm Case Studies! *Monday Article Series* | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

There are also some hints on written exercises in the following threads and posts:

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    @Jacob Miller 's article on case studies will be worth a read - Definitive Guide to Law Firm Case Studies! *Monday Article Series* | The Corporate Law Academy Forum

There are also some hints on written exercises in the following threads and posts:

Thank you @Jessica Booker ♥️

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What do you lot think about the capital gains tax reform as a commercial issue would that be a commercial issue for law firms.
    Companies only pay corporation tax, not capital gains, so I don't think this is likely to be particularly relevant for firms unless they have a substantial private client practice and you're discussing that extensively already.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Sorry it took me ages to respond to this!

I substantively agree with Jess here. I think if it's something you genuinely find interesting then the best bet is to be authentic: why are you interested in the strategy? Why do you think it's a good thing? Are you particularly interested in a certain industry they're expanding in? If these are things you can answer easily to yourself then there's no reason that they shouldn't also form part of your cover letter when discussing motivations etc.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Another way you can talk about industries is by bringing in your commercial awareness on a major trend happening in that industry. You can then link this to how the firm's growth in that industry will provide you with opportunities to be involved in those developments.

On W&C specifically, I think part of the focus of their 2020 strategy is expanding their presence in those industries particularly in regions that the firm hasn't previously focused on. Vaguely remember from an Open Day in 2019 that they were focusing on expanding the work in some of their already existing US offices. So you could potentially tie their 2020 strategy into your interest in their international work/presence as well.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Came across this pretty interesting tweet today. I checked and these are probably not fake news, because they reflect the statements/evidence the House of Dems Twitter account tweeted about a year ago during the Big Tech antitrust hearings. Just thought I’d share because even if you’re not interested in competition law, the screenshots give and interesting insight into why businesses to engage in M&A.

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hi everyone! I really enjoyed the TCLA webinar this evening about managing your mental health as a future lawyer. S/O to the TCLA team for the series. It was definitely affirming and really just great to see someone in the industry speak candidly about the topic.

Since accepting my TC offer, I have been reflecting a lot about how difficult the application process is + the impact it had on me/it can have on one’s overall mental and physical well-being (the anxiety, panic attacks, poor sleep from stress, low confidence etc.) I hope it’s okay but I thought to share that this inspired me to start a space on IG to talk about all of this + the well-being/mental aspect of the process here https://instagram.com/mindfully_law?utm_medium=copy_link (for anyone who may be interested).
    Thank you so much for joining yesterday and for this incredible post- it’s so brave to share your experience!

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Companies only pay corporation tax, not capital gains, so I don't think this is likely to be particularly relevant for firms unless they have a substantial private client practice and you're discussing that extensively already.
    Thank you very much for this and I agree with the latter as I was referring to the latter like M&A and private equity CGT can be a commercial issue right and how funds are structured. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

33c

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 8, 2020
    Thank you very much for this and I agree with the latter as I was referring to the latter like M&A and private equity CGT can be a commercial issue right and how funds are structured. Correct me if I am wrong here.
    I think you are correct! PE fund managers are remunerated through 'carried interest' which is subject to CGT not income tax.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Came across this pretty interesting tweet today. I checked and these are probably not fake news, because they reflect the statements/evidence the House of Dems Twitter account tweeted about a year ago during the Big Tech antitrust hearings. Just thought I’d share because even if you’re not interested in competition law, the screenshots give and interesting insight into why businesses to engage in M&A.
    Thought this was fascinating!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.