TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Well me again!

Beyond the stress of the last apps and work, I am also helping my dad and my brother with our family business.
    I am just amending our English brochures and I am also giving a makeover to the english website. But I was wondering if you could give me some tips to upgrade my website, to reorganise it and make it more appealing. We are targeting certain clients and God knows that I want my dad to scream you are my favourite child!

@Jaysen you are my man
    I've built a couple of websites over the years, currently in the process of putting a new one together just now for a (non-law) blog I want to launch. Happy to chat to you a bit if you want to DM me

Reactions: Jaysen and S87

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Is there a rule to how many reasons you can give to answer the question "Why do you want to work at X firm?"
    I know some people stick to three reasons, but what if I have more?

Clach555

Jan 5, 2021
    Hi! I am a non-law student, and I wondered whether you need to have a confirmed place for the GDL when applying for TCs that fund the conversion or whether, if you are lucky enough to secure a TC, the firm enrolls you and secures you a place?

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hi! I am a non-law student, and I wondered whether you need to have a confirmed place for the GDL when applying for TCs that fund the conversion or whether, if you are lucky enough to secure a TC, the firm enrolls you and secures you a place?
    You can enroll yourself once you get the TC so you don’t need to have a confirmed place beforehand :)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    The firm would have you enrol through them, but I think most firms will be switching to the SQE process quite soon as I believe the GDL/ LPC route is closed to you if you've not started the GDL by September - @Jessica Booker will confirm if I'm write or wrong on that, though.

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Has anyone had experiences with applying to AS Aspire? How competitive is the process?
    Hiya, I was a member of AS Aspire last cycle and from what I understand it can be quite a competitive process: there are quite a few spaces available but I understand that the number of people applying is also quite high!

Reactions: ZaraB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The firm would have you enrol through them, but I think most firms will be switching to the SQE process quite soon as I believe the GDL/ LPC route is closed to you if you've not started the GDL by September - @Jessica Booker will confirm if I'm write or wrong on that, though.
    You can start the GDL anytime by 31 December 2021 but you have to be signed up to the course by September.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Has anyone had experiences with applying to AS Aspire? How competitive is the process?
    I was on the scheme for the 2019/2020 cycle! I think because of how heavily they market it, a lot of people apply. That being said, if you really take the time to write a strong application and CV for it (assuming that’s still the first stage) you’ll probably have a good shot. I spent absolutely ages writing the app that summer, almost as long as I spent writing VS/TC apps to actual law firms and it was honestly such a good time investment - they let me skip the VI stage and gave me a spot directly which was really nice, so I think they really do scrutinise every application they receive. Also the programme and all the benefits really helped me secure my offers so definitely apply and try to really knock it outta the park with the app! :)

Reactions: ZaraB

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I got a TC!!! I couldn't have done it without this forum, it's helped me immensely this cycle!! Thank you so much everyone ✨
    Congratulations!

Well Done Good Job GIF

• Love
    Reactions: Etudierlaw2022

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hello guys,

I am currently trying to understand the impact of covid on law firms in the next 1-2 years.

I was thinking how to combine flexible working with learning. Plus, flexible working implies less investment on office space, more on technology and consequent new ways to charge clients. Do you think I am on the right track? Do you have other suggestions?

Reactions: Sonia_Kawaii
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.