TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How should you word an email to graduate recruitment about receiving a training contract offer from another firm and wanting them to also give me a decision so I know my options?
Call them rather than email.

Explain you are keen to understand where the firm are up to in their recruitment process as you have an offer, but the firm is very much your preference and so you don’t want to lose out.

Be prepared to explain when your offer is valid to (eg how long you have the accept) as one of their first questions back to you will be, when do you need to know by.

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hello guys,

I am currently trying to understand the impact of covid on law firms in the next 1-2 years.

I was thinking how to combine flexible working with learning. Plus, flexible working implies less investment on office space, more on technology and consequent new ways to charge clients. Do you think I am on the right track? Do you have other suggestions?
    I think you are definitely on the right track here. I would also mention the change in firms' business models - moving from the traditional pyramid model to the NewLaw model. Due to an increase in client demand firms have had to offer more services than what you would expect from a traditional law firm for e.g consultancy and advisory services. So firms are providing more than just legal services. With the introduction of new cutting-edge technology, firms have also tweaked their billable hours - work is done more efficiently and in cost effective ways making it cheaper for clients.

• 🏆
    Reactions: BoulderCO

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    I think you are definitely on the right track here. I would also mention the change in firms' business models - moving from the traditional pyramid model to the NewLaw model. Due to an increase in client demand firms have had to offer more services than what you would expect from a traditional law firm for e.g consultancy and advisory services. So firms are providing more than just legal services. With the introduction of new cutting-edge technology, firms have also tweaked their billable hours - work is done more efficiently and in cost effective ways making it cheaper for clients.
    Wow this is something I never heard of..THE LEARNING on this forum is massive!

Thank you

Sonia_Kawaii

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Wow this is something I never heard of..THE LEARNING on this forum is massive!

Thank you
    No problem at all! Very happy to help :) I've actually recently learnt about all of this too. The NewLaw model changes a lot of things - it creates more jobs and makes the legal profession more accessible. Here are some links I found useful:

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. I was wondering what are your best tips/advice for picking yourself up after failing to convert a vac scheme? Right now, all that I can think of is me being not cut out for the role of a trainee. Even if I do get any vac scheme in the future, I would probably be unable to convert it. I would really appreciate any advice for getting out of this rabbit hole :).
    Always the glass half-full!

You have made a tremendous improvement compared to many of us who cannot pass the app/interview stage. Chin up! go get a beer because tonight there is a horror movie on Netflix!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, hope you are all doing well. I was wondering what are your best tips/advice for picking yourself up after failing to convert a vac scheme? Right now, all that I can think of is me being not cut out for the role of a trainee. Even if I do get any vac scheme in the future, I would probably be unable to convert it. I would really appreciate any advice for getting out of this rabbit hole :).
    @Dheepa and @Alice G have provided some great insight into this in the past. I am sure they could help.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

I've been exactly where you are right now and I really understand where you're coming from with your thoughts. After my post VS rejection in second year, I never shook off the feeling that I wouldn't be able to convert any subsequent vacs I had. Even when I had three vac offers, I truly believed that none of the firms would offer me the TC.

(Behind a spoiler wall because it's such a long post haha)

On whether or not you're cut out for the role, my own take is that if you get onto a VS and any firm in the City, you are 100% TC material. This is not just something I'm saying after my own experience, but it's something I'm saying having seen my own friends and people on this forum like Alice and Dan go through the same thing. You don't make it that far in the process unless the firm already sees your potential as a trainee. And if that one firm saw that potential, other firms are going to see it too - so yes you are definitely cut out for the job!

I think that sometimes converting a VS into a TC offer has very little to do with your skill as a candidate either. It can come down to super arbitrary things like whether or not the firm felt you were the right fit, whether your interviewing partners just liked other candidates more etc. Point being it's not always about things that you could have controlled and it's not always about whether you're "cut out" for it. I know it's easier said than done but hopefully seeing it this way will stop you from beating yourself up and questioning your abilities.

I also really want to drive home how many things you're already doing right. You definitely write good applications, you definitely have commercial awareness and you definitely know how to perform well in interviews - don't forget that because of how extra competitive this cycle has been with COVID, you've also beaten tougher odds than usual to get to the VS. There may be some room for improvement and hopefully the feedback the firm provides you with is useful in helping you identify that, but skill-set wise you absolutely have what it takes!

On whether or not you'll be able to convert your next VS, I think your chances of converting your next scheme are going to increase tenfold no matter what. I found that just because I had done a vac scheme before I understood better what I should and should not be doing during the scheme and the small extra things I could do that would tilt things in my favour. You'll understand better than most first time vac schemers how to produce good work, how to build rapport with your supervisors, what kind of questions to asks during presentations and so much more. Much like the application process, vacs are definitely something you can get better at with practice, and the fact that you've already had one experience is going to help you ace the next one even more.

I hope that at least some of this has helped and I really hope you do feel better. I may not know you but I seriously don't have a single doubt that you're going to be made that TC offer very soon.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Why is it critical to ensure diversity and inclusion in the legal profession? What are the risks of not having or achieving this?

What approach can be taken to answer this question as I don't want to be cliche or too generic like I know the obvious reasons.

Imababysolicitor

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 9, 2019
    Hi! I’m still waiting to hear back, have you heard anything yet and know what the actual process is?
    Funny I asked about this - just been invited to a 45 minute video interview eek! If anyone has any advice (not sure if it’s a typical video interview or actually a virtual interview since it’s 45mins) pleaseeee let me know!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Why is it critical to ensure diversity and inclusion in the legal profession? What are the risks of not having or achieving this?

What approach can be taken to answer this question as I don't want to be cliche or too generic like I know the obvious reasons.
    Don’t worry if it seems your answer seems fairly obvious. Don’t be afraid to put forward your own thinking at the same time though.

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    Huge congratulations!!!

Lovely to see you guys getting offers, well done!

Congratulations!

Well Done Good Job GIF
    Thank you all! :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: BoulderCO

Etudierlaw2022

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 10, 2021
    This was me last year. I had failed to convert and was absolutely gutted. I took a good chunk of time off from even thinking about applying to firms, but also knew that I needed to find the fight in me to go again next cycle. You've got this experience under your belt, which is incredible and no small achievement. You can use this experience to sell yourself as a stronger, more resilient and driven candidate next cycle. I know it sucks right now but eventually you will see the positives from this.

Also firms really admire applicants who can reflect on and grow from their experiences. I have total faith in you!

ZaraB

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 13, 2020
    I was on the scheme for the 2019/2020 cycle! I think because of how heavily they market it, a lot of people apply. That being said, if you really take the time to write a strong application and CV for it (assuming that’s still the first stage) you’ll probably have a good shot. I spent absolutely ages writing the app that summer, almost as long as I spent writing VS/TC apps to actual law firms and it was honestly such a good time investment - they let me skip the VI stage and gave me a spot directly which was really nice, so I think they really do scrutinise every application they receive. Also the programme and all the benefits really helped me secure my offers so definitely apply and try to really knock it outta the park with the app! :)
    Thanks so much Dheepa, that's super helpful, great to hear that the scheme was helpful! I submitted my app two days ago, so fingers crossed!

Reactions: Dheepa
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.