TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eliana

Star Member
Apr 11, 2021
Hi! I have been offered a TC with the basic condition of 'obtained a minimum 2.1 degree classification' - perhaps a stupid question but just wanna be sure - this just means 2.1 overall right, even if I achieved a 2.2 in a single module which counts towards the final classification?

• 🏆
Reactions: kr253 and Dheepa
A

Anon 11031

Hi! I have been offered a TC with the basic condition of 'obtained a minimum 2.1 degree classification' - perhaps a stupid question but just wanna be sure - this just means 2.1 overall right, even if I achieved a 2.2 in a single module which counts towards the final classification?
Yes, it means 2:1 overall. Your degree classification is your final overall grade.

Congrats on the offer! 🎉

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Yes, degree classification only applies to your overall grade.

Reactions: djqb and Eliana

W

Legendary Member
May 12, 2019
Hi everyone, I have a VS for Faegre Drinker next week. Does anyone have any tips on how to prepare for it? I’m trying to find some info but not much out there

Any advice would be much appreciated! :)

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    If you are on the January GDL but want to start the September LPC/BPTC but they ask for confirmation of your grades in August (wont get my grades until September) will I still be able to do the course?

AA99

Forum Winner
    Jan 26, 2021
    Hi all! I received a rejection after my first vac scheme which I thoroughly enjoyed and thought went really well, and I’m now feeling a bit down over what to do next. I’ve just finished my non law degree, and was planning on doing the GDL - but I’m now doubting if I’ll be able to secure a TC next cycle. Alternatively, I’m considering paralegalling next year to gauge a better idea of whether this career is definitely for me. Trying to be resilient by looking into my next options but I’m finding it a little bit daunting! Thank you :)
    I was in the exact same position last year and now have 3 TC offers with some very tough decisions to make! I think getting rejected like that is tough, but it all sounds very positive so reflect honestly on your feedback and stay persistent with it. Sounds like you are still relatively early in the process, I was gutted after being rejected last year but looking back I was nowhere near ready enough. Amazing how much you can learn about yourself and the profession in a year! Best of luck, sure you'll smash it!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are doing well. For the question "what are the skills required to be a great commercial solicitor" , should we also tell them about instances where we displayed that particular skill or would that be too much? My guess is that it will make the answer very long if we give it a personal touch.

Thanks in advance.
    No - it's only appropriate to do that if you are asked to provide examples. It will often be a follow up question though

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi @Dheepa, i wanted to thank you personally for encouraging me to apply to Aspire, I was successful and got the email today! Hopefully it will assist in getting me some success this year!! ☺️
    I'm so sorry that I'm just seeing this (haven't been feeling too well this week) but huge congratulations and thank you so much for the shoutout - it's made my day haha! ☺️ Fingers crossed the scheme helps you the same way it helped me!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you are doing well. For the question "what are the skills required to be a great commercial solicitor" , should we also tell them about instances where we displayed that particular skill or would that be too much? My guess is that it will make the answer very long if we give it a personal touch.

Thanks in advance.

I would include the examples of when you've demonstrated the skill. I would also recommend explaining how that skill will applicable in the day to day role of a trainee and being as specific as possible about this. I think questions like this are also trying to assess your understanding of the role.

• 🏆

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would include the examples of when you've demonstrated the skill. I would also recommend explaining how that skill will applicable in the day to day role of a trainee and being as specific as possible about this. I think questions like this are also trying to assess your understanding of the role.
    Definitely agree with the latter part of this. I would only say you need to briefly reference where you have developed these skills though rather than explain them. Going into a full explanation is either going to make your answer very muddled, very long or mean you might not focus on answering the question.

• 🏆

Lumree

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Highest Rated Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 17, 2019
    I'm so sorry that I'm just seeing this (haven't been feeling too well this week) but huge congratulations and thank you so much for the shoutout - it's made my day haha! ☺️ Fingers crossed the scheme helps you the same way it helped me!
    Hi @Dheepa! Are you able to share your experience with the scheme? I’m also on it this year and would love to hear more.

Were you working full-time while doing it? If so, how did you find balancing your time to attend events etc with work/life commitments?

Thank you so much!

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi @Dheepa! Are you able to share your experience with the scheme? I’m also on it this year and would love to hear more.

Were you working full-time while doing it? If so, how did you find balancing your time to attend events etc with work/life commitments?

Thank you so much!
    Hey! Unfortunately I wasn’t working full time when I was on the scheme so in all honesty I don’t have the most advice on that front. However, I was working part time almost every day and because of that + uni all in all I think I only attended three open days with firms I knew I really liked. I’d recommend just being more selective with which open days you want to attend (out of the ones you are invited to). More than the open days I think the tthings that really benefited me were:

1. The fortnightly 20 min coaching calls you get. It doesn’t sound like a long time but your assigned coach can help you review your apps and talk you through your mistakes etc and it’s just very useful to hear live feedback in that way. You usually have to book these slots weeks in advance and you can schedule them during lunch etc so that might help in terms of balancing it with work commitments. Also my coach really went the extra mile to hype me up before my first AC which was really nice haha.

2. The mock interviews you can schedule before interviews. I have a strong feeling the questions you get asked are questions that previous candidates interviewing at the same firms have been asked. They ask if you’re willing to provide a breakdown of your AC afterwards and I think that’s where they pull questions from.

3. You may also get selected to be placed on mentorship schemes with specific firms (I was on one with Dentons again no additional application required). These are nice because usually it’s only about 10 people so you get a lot more face time with firm representatives. This raises some of the previous problems on having to take time off work to attend the workshops but you also get calls with an associate/senior associate that are quite flexible usually if you explain your availability.

I hope that helps!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen and Lumree

em311

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 15, 2019
    Got a TC offer just an hour earlier- still buzzing! 😁😁 Can't wait to move to the City 🏙️.

This was my second cycle, and I got other VS's this year where I didn't convert. Keep going everyone, you will get there eventually. Congratulations to everyone else who also heard good news recently!

Congratulations!!!!!!🎉🎉🎉🎉🎉

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Bevan Brittan TC offer!!! 🎉

Some great news ahead of the weekend! congratulations and a very well deserved….

Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

Reactions: Hele25

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Got a TC offer just an hour earlier- still buzzing! 😁😁 Can't wait to move to the City 🏙️.

This was my second cycle, and I got other VS's this year where I didn't convert. Keep going everyone, you will get there eventually. Congratulations to everyone else who also heard good news recently!
    More great news! What we love to hear ahead of the weekend. Congratulations and …

Well Done Good Job GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals

• Love
    Reactions: dosblancos7

Law2022

Legendary Member
    May 3, 2020

Amazing news! I just moved to the city and it’s the best thing I’ve ever done! Congratulations and so happy for you🤩🤩

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.