TCLA General Discussion Thread #2 (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penelope

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 2
  • Aug 14, 2019
    I have been invited to an interview with BCLP for a legal assistant role. Does anyone have any advice? I am a career changer, so although I have work experience, it's not legal work experience. I'm desperately seeking entry-level positions now that I'm near completing my LPC - any tips for this interview?
    I haven’t worked at BCLP, but I am a paralegal at a similar firm. In the interview, I think it’s key to show you will add value to the team and the firm through your strengths (keen to learn, organisation, attention to detail, etc.). Also keeping in mind that they are probably looking for someone to be a safe pair of hands for the team who is happy to muck in and do whatever needs to be done. Try to show your understanding of this!

Feel free to message me if you want to discuss 😊

Reactions: StudentOfLaw21

StudentOfLaw21

Apr 3, 2021
    I haven’t worked at BCLP, but I am a paralegal at a similar firm. In the interview, I think it’s key to show you will add value to the team and the firm through your strengths (keen to learn, organisation, attention to detail, etc.). Also keeping in mind that they are probably looking for someone to be a safe pair of hands for the team who is happy to muck in and do whatever needs to be done. Try to show your understanding of this!

Feel free to message me if you want to discuss 😊

I see what you're saying! I have some more questions - I will message you! Thanks for responding :)

Legalmel_99

Legendary Member
    Jan 16, 2021
    I’ve been asked to discuss this does anyone have an idea?

“As more and more organsations move to a hybrid approach to working, how would you ensure the office culture remains embedded throughout the workforce and organisation?”

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I’ve been asked to discuss this does anyone have an idea?

“As more and more organsations move to a hybrid approach to working, how would you ensure the office culture remains embedded throughout the workforce and organisation?”
    They just want your opinion on the topic and some practical solutions to how an organisation may help to maintain their culture when people are not always in the office.

Think about how that impacts culture, information sharing, learning and development, a positive/healthy working environment. Think about how it could impact different groups of people in different ways and what you might do to try and minimise that or ensure it doesn’t, while still maintaining some form of fairness/consistency across the employee base. Think about the things you have seen either as an employee or as a consumer which have kept you engaged when you have had less physical contact with the organisation. Is there anything you see that has worked/been/successful/was engaging that you could see working in other environments?

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Legalmel_99

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Bit of a long shot posting this here but for some reason the future trainees forum isn't working for me - is anyone here planning to do LPC in September 2022 at BPP Bristol / has been to BPP Bristol? If so, how is it? Would London Holborn be a better choice or does it not matter at all?
    I guess one reason to do it in London would be to do it with the people you'll join your firm with if that's applicable? It might also be a nice way to network with those at other firms but you'll still be able to do that in Bristol obviously

Reactions: Holly and Dheepa
    D

Deleted member 2707

I'm practicing for my AC on Wednesday and would like to just run through some of the common formats I have to know. I've revised emails, letters and memos. Am I missing anything else- thinking of stuff like reports but not sure if this is necessary?

For memos, I'm not too sure on the format but I would be doing something like:

TO:
    DATE:
    TITLE:
    [Content starts here]

Is there a particular style I should write my memos in? (eg: more informal and use of bullet points)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm practicing for my AC on Wednesday and would like to just run through some of the common formats I have to know. I've revised emails, letters and memos. Am I missing anything else- thinking of stuff like reports but not sure if this is necessary?

TO:
    DATE:
    TITLE:
    [Content starts here]

Is there a particular style I should write my memos in? (eg: more informal and use of bullet points)?
    I personally wouldn’t get overly concerned about this. This type of formatting is something easily learnt and is unlikely to be assessed.

IRO

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer 5
    Jan 21, 2021

TO:
    DATE:
    TITLE:
    [Content starts here]

This is not assessed in the Macs AC - not sure about other firms but I think Jessica is right in advising you not to spend time preparing this.

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Hey there!

(1) Does anyone know how long it takes to actually hear back from RARE recruitment for applying to become a RARE member Has anyone applied to become a 2021 RARE member?

(2) What test does Baker McKenzie use? The website just states: 'online test'. @Dheepa perhaps you can help here as you successfully navigated the BM process.

Last edited:

Badawy

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 19
  • Apr 4, 2020
    Hey there!

(1) Does anyone know how long it takes to actually hear back from RARE recruitment for applying to become a RARE member Has anyone applied to become a 2021 RARE member?

(2) What test does Baker McKenzie use? The website just states: 'online test'. @Dheepa perhaps you can help here as you successfully navigated the BM process.

(1) I heard back in a couple of days 1-2 years ago. It depends on the time of year but I do not think that it would be too long. I think they called me to let me know that I am in.

Reactions: Dwight

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

TO:
    DATE:
    TITLE:
    [Content starts here]

I think that's plenty. In reality, I doubt you'd be tested on your ability to format the opening of an email or memo. Jess previously shared this link which you may find helpful: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/technicalwriting/chapter/memos_-purpose-and-format-2/.

In terms of style, I'd just see a memo as a simple way to communicate internal information. I'd focus on the clarity of your writing and structure (but there is no set format to this).

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hey there!

It's a standard Watson Glaser test! :)

Reactions: Dwight

ScrappyDoo

Esteemed Member
    May 15, 2021
    I think that's plenty. In reality, I doubt you'd be tested on your ability to format the opening of an email or memo. Jess previously shared this link which you may find helpful: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/technicalwriting/chapter/memos_-purpose-and-format-2/.

In terms of style, I'd just see a memo as a simple way to communicate internal information. I'd focus on the clarity of your writing and structure (but there is no set format to this).
    Hello, when will you be opening the vacation scheme thread 2021-22 as some law firm vacation schemes will be opening from tomorrow?

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
    Got a bit of a dilemma, need some advice please!

I received an offer from firm 1 with a deadline for 10th Aug. I was also waiting for an answer from another firm (2). Firm 2 told me that I was competing with 65 other candidates and will get an answer in a month. So I accepted the offer from firm 1 and didn't request an extension because I though there was little chance of firm 1 extending the deadline so far, coupled with a 1/65 chance.... I was planning on emailing firm 2 to say that I've accepted another offer and they should bin my application.....

....before I could do so, Firm 2 just offered me a TC, 3 weeks before they said they would.

If I prefer firm 2, what should I do? Can I renege on my acceptance of firm 1's offer? Is this considered unethical?- It's not like I've applied after accepting, and I wasn't anticipating an answer so early- which was why I originally didn't request an extension. Is it more appropriate/wise to request of firm 1 to ignore my acceptance and grant me an extension so I can compare the two offers- are they likely to agree to this? (Note that firm 1 have yet to finalise all their offers)

@Jaysen @Jessica Booker

Thanks a lot, it's appreciated.

• 🏆
    Reactions: djqb

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Got a bit of a dilemma, need some advice please!

I received an offer from firm 1 with a deadline for 10th Aug. I was also waiting for an answer from another firm (2). Firm 2 told me that I was competing with 65 other candidates and will get an answer in a month. So I accepted the offer from firm 1 and didn't request an extension because I though there was little chance of firm 1 extending the deadline so far, coupled with a 1/65 chance.... I was planning on emailing firm 2 to say that I've accepted another offer and they should bin my application.....

....before I could do so, Firm 2 just offered me a TC, 3 weeks before they said they would.

If I prefer firm 2, what should I do? Can I renege on my acceptance of firm 1's offer? Is this considered unethical?- It's not like I've applied after accepting, and I wasn't anticipating an answer so early- which was why I originally didn't request an extension. Is it more appropriate/wise to request of firm 1 to ignore my acceptance and grant me an extension so I can compare the two offers- are they likely to agree to this? (Note that firm 1 have yet to finalise all their offers)

@Jaysen @Jessica Booker

Thanks a lot, it's appreciated.
    You can renege. Unless you have accepted any financial support (unlikely in 6 days) then there are no issues with you reneging really apart from annoying firm 1.

philjones

Feb 4, 2021
    You can renege. Unless you have accepted any financial support (unlikely in 6 days) then there are no issues with you reneging really apart from annoying firm 1.
    Thanks! Prob is firm 2 know that I accepted firm 1's offer- will firm 2 look down on me if I renege firm 1's offer? I don't want to join a firm that will think lowly of me...

And fwiw firm 1 gave me under a week to confirm...

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thanks! Prob is firm 2 know that I accepted firm 1's offer- will firm 2 look down on me if I renege firm 1's offer? I don't want to join a firm that will think lowly of me...
    They have offered you a job. Clearly they don’t care about you reneging another firm’s offer. They may just might be concerned you do the same to them, but clearly that’s a risk they are willing to take.

Reneges happen a lot in recruitment (less in law for TCs due to the time lag and financial commitments) - recruiters don’t really care if you renege. It’s better you renege now than train and leave.

Reactions: philjones
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.