TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kubed

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Thank you very much for this great advice all of you but I have been looking and all the paralegal roles now require previous experience and am in contract with recruitment consultants also. If anyone knows any paralegal roles that don't require previous paralegal experience in that area then will really appreciate it. I am looking to get a paralegal role in corporate such as M&A private equity and corporate in general, litigation and banking and finance. I am just so frustrated as I am not getting any luck with paralegal jobs.
    Hey Asil, I know you've had lots of great advice already but just to reiterate, I think I would broaden your search a bit to a few more areas. Quite often the first role may not be exactly what you're looking for, but it can be a good stepping stone to better things. You've got to start somewhere, and once you've got that general paralegal experience, you can leverage it into roles or practice areas that are your preference.

Kubed

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer 49
  • Nov 25, 2020
    Sorry if this is not the correct forum but I feel so useless and demotivated to even apply. The more I see what TCLA has to offer, the more I feel that I am uneducated and don't really deserve a TC because my applications won't even matter. Anybody else feeling like this?
    I have applied 4 times and now starting to understand I am not even close to becoming a "good candidate". Any help to motivate myself to do this is welcome :)
    It is so easy to feel like this and I can completely sympathise. With applications, I think you've got to try to be clinical and take the emotion out of it, as much as that is possible. What do you think makes a "good candidate" in your eyes? Where are you in relation to that? What do you actively need to do to move closer to being a "good candidate"? You don't need to answer these, but just something to think about!

I always recommend breaking everything down into small, manageable and achievable steps so that you can see yourself making progress towards "good candidate" status - this provides the motivation.

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    It is so easy to feel like this and I can completely sympathise. With applications, I think you've got to try to be clinical and take the emotion out of it, as much as that is possible. What do you think makes a "good candidate" in your eyes? Where are you in relation to that? What do you actively need to do to move closer to being a "good candidate"? You don't need to answer these, but just something to think about!

I always recommend breaking everything down into small, manageable and achievable steps so that you can see yourself making progress towards "good candidate" status - this provides the motivation.
    This helps a lot thank you :) I am glad that I am not the only one feeling like this

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell and Kubed

George Maxwell

Administrator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 50
    Oct 25, 2021
    Sorry if this is not the correct forum but I feel so useless and demotivated to even apply. The more I see what TCLA has to offer, the more I feel that I am uneducated and don't really deserve a TC because my applications won't even matter. Anybody else feeling like this?
    I have applied 4 times and now starting to understand I am not even close to becoming a "good candidate". Any help to motivate myself to do this is welcome :)

Hey @atrumregina1,

I am really sorry to hear that you are feeling like this. Using the forum in this way is a great idea though as there are a lot of people who are here to support you (@AvniD, @James Carrabino and the rest of the team really do want you to get there!). Our community is built around getting people through the toughest stages of the application process, so do draw on it (as you are doing here!).

One thing to remember is that TCLA, much like any form of social media, only reveals a very small part of someone's experience. It is a snapshot. For example, people will speak about their successes more than their failures(!). I know for a fact that each one of the community managers this year suffered their fair share of knocks during their journey (myself included!).

Also note that you are applying at a time where there is more information available than ever before. It is understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed. Do not try to consume every single piece of information available (as this is not a realistic goal). You are human (as is every other applicant)!

Finally, although this is sometimes difficult as this process is so competitive, focus on you. Ignore what other people are doing or saying. Being the strongest candidate you can be (and drowning out the noise of others also applying) will make you stand out.

You will get there 🚀. Myself and the rest of the community are right behind you!

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Hey @atrumregina1,

I am really sorry to hear that you are feeling like this. Using the forum in this way is a great idea though as there are a lot of people who are here to support you (@AvniD, @James Carrabino and the rest of the team really do want you to get there!). Our community is built around getting people through the toughest stages of the application process, so do draw on it (as you are doing here!).

One thing to remember is that TCLA, much like any form of social media, only reveals a very small part of someone's experience. It is a snapshot. For example, people will speak about their successes more than their failures(!). I know for a fact that each one of the community managers this year suffered their fair share of knocks during their journey (myself included!).

Also note that you are applying at a time where there is more information available to candidates applying than ever. It is completely understandable that you are feeling overwhelmed. Do not try to consume every single piece of information available (as this is not a realistic goal). You are human (as is every other applicant)!

Finally, although this is sometimes difficult as this process is so competitive, focus on you. Ignore what other people are doing or saying. Being the strongest candidate you can be (and drowning out the noise of others also applying) will make you stand out.

You will get there 🚀. Myself and the rest of the community are right behind you!
    Thank you so much for the support! This community is what keeps me going :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @atrumregina1!

I completely understand how you feel- I've been there.

The best thing I can say to you is to know that there is no 'right' or 'good' way to secure a training contract. You are more than good enough as you are to secure a training contract- you just have to keep hustling, finding ways to improve your applications and treating every rejection as a redirection towards firms and opportunities that will bring you closer to achieving your goal.

My biggest tip to stay motivated would be to try to own every single aspect of your journey- failures included- and take pride in and assign value to your life experiences; whether they include working part-time while studying, contributing towards a group project, attending an event/webinar on commercial law or engaging with the TCLA community by posting with honesty and confidence, as you have done above.

Lastly, please do reach out to us here at TCLA if you ever need support with your applications. We are here for you and we 100% believe in you and will help you strengthen your applications till you get exactly what you want and deserve.

You've got this!

Wishing you the best 🤗

lila122

Star Member
    Jul 29, 2021
    Hi, just thinking about what news story to discuss at interview, and I've been following the supply chain crisis quite closely but would this be too broad an issue to discuss? I noticed lots of examples of news stories relate specifically to a particular business or piece of legislation so i'm not 100% sure. Anyones thoughts would be really appreciated.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi, just thinking about what news story to discuss at interview, and I've been following the supply chain crisis quite closely but would this be too broad an issue to discuss? I noticed lots of examples of news stories relate specifically to a particular business or piece of legislation so i'm not 100% sure. Anyones thoughts would be really appreciated.
    The best news stories to discuss are ones that you're genuinely interested in! If that is the supply chain crisis, then go right ahead with it. As long as you can demonstrate that you've understood what the main commercial issues are and analysed the impact it may have/has on law firms and their clients, then you are good to go 👍

Reactions: George Maxwell and Jaysen

atrumregina1

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 5, 2021
    Hi @atrumregina1!

I completely understand how you feel- I've been there.

The best thing I can say to you is to know that there is no 'right' or 'good' way to secure a training contract. You are more than good enough as you are to secure a training contract- you just have to keep hustling, finding ways to improve your applications and treating every rejection as a redirection towards firms and opportunities that will bring you closer to achieving your goal.

My biggest tip to stay motivated would be to try to own every single aspect of your journey- failures included- and take pride in and assign value to your life experiences; whether they include working part-time while studying, contributing towards a group project, attending an event/webinar on commercial law or engaging with the TCLA community by posting with honesty and confidence, as you have done above.

Lastly, please do reach out to us here at TCLA if you ever need support with your applications. We are here for you and we 100% believe in you and will help you strengthen your applications till you get exactly what you want and deserve.

You've got this!

Wishing you the best 🤗
    Thank you so much this is so encouraging! I try to use every single resource on TCLA available (difficult to do everything at once as I work full time) but the community is so helpful and supporting it’s the best motivation. Thank you for taking time to reply :)

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD and George Maxwell

lila122

Star Member
    Jul 29, 2021
    The best news stories to discuss are ones that you're genuinely interested in! If that is the supply chain crisis, then go right ahead with it. As long as you can demonstrate that you've understood what the main commercial issues are and analysed the impact it may have/has on law firms and their clients, then you are good to go 👍
    Awesome, thanks for that advice.

Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Thank you so much this is so encouraging! I try to use every single resource on TCLA available (difficult to do everything at once as I work full time) but the community is so helpful and supporting it’s the best motivation. Thank you for taking time to reply :)
    You're doing great! Let me know if you need any help with your application journey :)

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Hi guys
    I've had covid and took 2 weeks off frm work. I have been battling with life and death. It has been the worst experience in my life. Yesterday, my employer decided to end my employment contract giving me 1 week notice because I am still sick from covid. I am really devastated and feels like life can be very unfair and uncertain.

Miki3999

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Jun 2, 2019
    Hi guys
    I've had covid and took 2 weeks off frm work. I have been battling with life and death. It has been the worst experience in my life. Yesterday, my employer decided to end my employment contract giving me 1 week notice because I am still sick from covid. I am really devastated and feels like life can be very unfair and uncertain.

Isn't this essentially discrimination? You can't be fired for being sick....

• Sad
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101

kitty_kat

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 10, 2020
    Hi guys
    oh mann :(( hope you get well soon and will be praying for you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys
    Sorry to hear you have had covid and that it’s hit you hard. I was ill with Covid back in December and it wiped me out so much - I still don’t think I am actually 100% from it.

I am assuming you have been with your employer for less than two years? If so, unfortunately there isn’t much that can be done (employment rights/law are pretty unfair if you have less than two year’s service). Focus on your covid recovery and getting the right support to ensure you health gets back to as best as it can as soon as possible.

Remember jobs will come and go. I know it will be tough now, but it won’t always be like this.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys

Hey, I am so so incredibly sorry to hear this. I watched my sister battle life or death breathing difficulties with Covid over the past two months so my heart really goes out to you. All I can say is you will definitely bounce back from the symptoms - my sister is almost “normal” again and I’m sure you’ll get there too. I don’t have the best advice re the employment situation (I’m so so sorry they did that to you) but I hope you just give yourself some time to really rest and recover. Maybe just focus on being around family/friends who can support you through it before you start the job hunt again.

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi guys
    I'm incredibly sorry to hear this and together with the entire TCLA community I am wishing you back to full health as soon as possible. Covid is a devastating illness to deal with, both physically and mentally, but hearing about the virus has become so routine that it is possible to forget just how debilitating it can be for many people. Despite the whole world going through it together, it is very easy to feel like you're going through it all by yourself. We're here to give you advice, but for now your health is all that matters! Focus on your rest and you'll have plenty of time to worry about the other things once you're fully recovered - I know that your resilience will get you through and you'll have new work opportunities coming your way. We'll be able to help with that aspect of things, but we also want to provide anything that you need in the meantime. Please reach out if you need anything and best wishes for your swift recovery!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.