TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Thanks a lot for your insight!

I agree with the work-life balance element, but work-life balance doesn't always seem like it corresponds with salary (if Legal Cheek is in any way reliable at all). Does anyone have any insight on the accuracy of these stats?
I agree for the most part! But also, there would be one deciding factor between them that I would prioritise over money. Money would honestly be very low on my list because I’d you’re gonna be a corporate lawyer you’re going to be earning a lot anyway.

Reactions: Beluga

IRO

Distinguished Member
Junior Lawyer 5
Jan 21, 2021
Hi,

I was just wondering if you could offer any advice on a question such as 'Can tax avoidance ever be justified?'. What sort of arguments would the interviewers be looking for? How could you approach it?

Thank you!
Governments encourage tax avoidance in certain circumstances, so it’s easy to justify something which is current fiscal policy! When I was asked this is talked about how ISAs are a form of tax avoidance, and since they’re a very common financial instrument it would be difficult to argue that tax avoidance is never justifiable because so many people do it. I then used this as a basis to argue that all tax avoidance is justifiable (I’m planning on becoming a tax lawyer) but you might not want to push it that far.

m2001

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 24, 2021
I think you have to look at the question carefully - it is tax avoidance rather than tax evasion, and ultimately the "ever" means can you find any reasons that mean tax avoidance is a reasonable thing to do.

I suspect you could find a whole host of reasons why tax avoidance is ultimately reasonable, as both individuals and companies do it all the time. How you present your argument will depend on what you think is reasonable. I would also recommend trying to use specific examples to back up your meaning/rationale for whatever argument you do take.

You could take a few different perspectives here. Making full use of provisions made available by the government (allowances, write-offs etc.) to avoid paying tax unnecessarily could be considered good corporate governance. It may also be beneficial to the economy as a whole if businesses are able to employ funds towards their growth rather than towards taxes that could be avoided. Do also consider the flip side of these arguments, namely the impact of aggressive tax avoidance and whether the is ethical, in your arguments in favour of justifying tax avoidance. This article may prove useful in doing so.

Governments encourage tax avoidance in certain circumstances, so it’s easy to justify something which is current fiscal policy! When I was asked this is talked about how ISAs are a form of tax avoidance, and since they’re a very common financial instrument it would be difficult to argue that tax avoidance is never justifiable because so many people do it. I then used this as a basis to argue that all tax avoidance is justifiable (I’m planning on becoming a tax lawyer) but you might not want to push it that far.
Thank you so much all - very helpful!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

lawnoob

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 15, 2021
Hey everyone! Thanks to the forum's help last week, I passed my interviews and got an offer! I applied for a paralegal role but the firm decided that due to my lack of experience in legal work they think I would be better suited for Business Development Assistant (I'm still very happy!). I'm starting next week, but I feel a bit unsure about what the role really entails. They told me its hard to explain what I'll be doing in a day since it is very varied, but will generally be administrative work. I had a look at BDA duties, but would greatly appreciate if anyone has advice on how to prepare before starting a new job :) Thank you guys!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone! Thanks to the forum's help last week, I passed my interviews and got an offer! I applied for a paralegal role but the firm decided that due to my lack of experience in legal work they think I would be better suited for Business Development Assistant (I'm still very happy!). I'm starting next week, but I feel a bit unsure about what the role really entails. They told me its hard to explain what I'll be doing in a day since it is very varied, but will generally be administrative work. I had a look at BDA duties, but would greatly appreciate if anyone has advice on how to prepare before starting a new job :) Thank you guys!
Congratulations! A BD role will provide you with a lot of transferable skills and knowledge of how the firm operates/works with clients.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    My partner is training to become a barrister and has found the whole process incredibly lonely so I was wondering if there were any similar forums/threads (that aren’t the student room) for aspiring barristers?

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    If a partner sends you a welcome email (so nice of them to take the time to) and also says they are 'more than happy to have a chat about what their role entails over a coffee'- is this meant to actually be an invite or is it just a formality thing to say..?

This is my first time working at a law firm so I have no idea how to respond! I'm only an assistant in the BD team so I am hesitant on whether to bother them and take time out of their day but would love this opportunity to chat anyone at the firm. Should I just say thank you, or should I actually schedule something? Not sure how to understand the invitation.

Reactions: George Maxwell

RoughWood

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Feb 24, 2021
    If a partner sends you a welcome email (so nice of them to take the time to) and also says they are 'more than happy to have a chat about what their role entails over a coffee'- is this meant to actually be an invite or is it just a formality thing to say..?

This is my first time working at a law firm so I have no idea how to respond! I'm only an assistant in the BD team so I am hesitant on whether to bother them and take time out of their day but would love this opportunity to chat anyone at the firm. Should I just say thank you, or should I actually schedule something? Not sure how to understand the invitation.
    I would respond but leave it open. Thank you for your kind welcome and offer of a chat over coffee. I would really appreciate your insight into your role at the firm so please let me know when you would have availability/a few free minutes. Or something of the like

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021

I’d also encourage you to immediately drop this narrative of “only being an assistant in BD” - you are a very crucial part of the team, same as anyone else! I know it’s easy to fall into this trap of thinking that being more junior means we’re low on the pecking order and we’re immediately impressed if a partner wants to chat to us, but you perform an integral role in the team and the partners knows this :) I’d encourage you to think of it as a sports metaphor - you may not be the coach or the star player but you’re a very key part of the wider team making it all happen.

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    I would respond but leave it open. Thank you for your kind welcome and offer of a chat over coffee. I would really appreciate your insight into your role at the firm so please let me know when you would have availability/a few free minutes. Or something of the like
    Thank you so much for such a quick response, that is such a good way to reply. Good idea to leave it open, I was worried that it would be embarrassing if I asked for a specific time to chat if they only said it as a formality hahaha

Will reply according to your advice :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: George Maxwell

lawnoob

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    I’d also encourage you to immediately drop this narrative of “only being an assistant in BD” - you are a very crucial part of the team, same as anyone else! I know it’s easy to fall into this trap of thinking that being more junior means we’re low on the pecking order and we’re immediately impressed if a partner wants to chat to us, but you perform an integral role in the team and the partners knows this :) I’d encourage you to think of it as a sports metaphor - you may not be the coach or the star player but you’re a very key part of the wider team making it all happen.
    Hi FS, you have no idea how much I needed to hear this. As a new addition at the firm I was admittedly feeling very nervous and not confident. But you're right, all the roles are there for a reason and I probably shouldn't belittle myself! Thank you for the encouraging words. I'll keep this in mind :) And thank you for your reply!

• 🏆
    Reactions: TC fiend

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I'd definitely take it up - people don't say things like that if they don't means as it as it is more hassle than it is worth in trying to manage expectations if it isn't something you will commit to.

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    When introducing yourself at in-person vac schemes, is it okay to shake people's hands? I am a bit wary of whether office/professional etiquette has changed since covid
    I would say ask! People I've met find it nice when you ask if it's okay to shake their hands. It's respectful and courteous. Alternatively, read the room! If people are doing it, it should be okay. If not, then it probably isn't. But be mindful as well that while others might be shaking hands, some people will not be doing that. Therefore, still ask. My own pov, but anyone else can correct or add to it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I would say ask! People I've met find it nice when you ask if it's okay to shake their hands. It's respectful and courteous. Alternatively, read the room! If people are doing it, it should be okay. If not, then it probably isn't. But be mindful as well that while others might be shaking hands, some people will not be doing that. Therefore, still ask. My own pov, but anyone else can correct or add to it.
    Completely agree with this.

Reactions: thelovelygiraffe

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How are seats on a vacation scheme allocated? I imagine that some seats will be oversubscribed (due to ranking or firm reputation) and some will only have a few applicants. What will GR usually consider when making the allocation?
    Can be a whole mix of things:

- referencing the department in your application or interview
    - interview/assessment centre performance
    - evidence from your application, like if you have worked in the area before of studied a subject they are looking for
    - your assessors stating that they want you in their team if you have an interest in the area

Reactions: iget277

polarbearpistachio

Standard Member
    Future Trainee
    Junior Lawyer 32
    Feb 28, 2022
    Hi all, I've recently accepted a TC offer and I am due to start the LPC in September. Does anyone have recommendations of roles/things to do before starting the LPC? Most temporary paralegal roles are only looking for people with at least 6 months of availability which I am finding quite limiting. I'd love to know any unique things people did before starting their TC/LPC as I am not so fussed about going into a legal role beforehand. Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all, I've recently accepted a TC offer and I am due to start the LPC in September. Does anyone have recommendations of roles/things to do before starting the LPC? Most temporary paralegal roles are only looking for people with at least 6 months of availability which I am finding quite limiting. I'd love to know any unique things people did before starting their TC/LPC as I am not so fussed about going into a legal role beforehand. Thanks!
    If you can afford to do so, my personal advice is taking the time off to do whatever you want to do. Travel, learn a new hobby, visit friends/family. Basically do anything you personally want to do as you have a luxury of time you won't easily get again.

If you need to earn money, go and do any job you want to do - it really doesn't need to be a paralegal role. If that means doing something completely different just because you are interested in it, you should do so.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.