TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A.Diane01

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 1, 2021
    Hi all,

I’m wondering - how acceptable is it to have prebooked holidays before accepting a training contract? I know for othe roles, usually employers are ok if you get the job and notify them of holidays, but is this different due to the study element of a TC?
    Idk if it makes a difference but I’m a non-law student so would have to do the PGDL or prep-course equivalent beforehand.

cheers!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

I’m wondering - how acceptable is it to have prebooked holidays before accepting a training contract? I know for othe roles, usually employers are ok if you get the job and notify them of holidays, but is this different due to the study element of a TC?
    Idk if it makes a difference but I’m a non-law student so would have to do the PGDL or prep-course equivalent beforehand.

cheers!
    Yes, this is typically ok once you start your training contract. You should inform graduate recruitment of the dates you want to take off and they will either approve or decline it as they won’t know which team/supervisor you will be with.

If it clashes with anything major they could decline the annual leave request though (unlikely but could happen depending how much time you need off and when it is).

You are not employed during your GDL/LPC/SQE and so you can technically take anytime you want off. You may want to speak to the course provider though to understand what you will miss and how you can make up the study sessions. If you miss any assessments, then you’ll need to rethink the time off.

• Love
    Reactions: AvniD and A.Diane01

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

cheers!
    I should have said, you don’t need to request time off from Grad Rec during your courses. It is only for any dates once your employment starts that you need to do this. It is expected that you will manage your time accordingly during your courses.

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    @Jessica Booker I recently withdrew from a recruitment process before the final round interview for a summer analyst role. They had taken quite a while to give any updates after emailing twice, and after signing my vacation scheme offers, there wasn't really any point in waiting. After emailing to withdraw, the HR replied asking where I'd be joining, congratulating me and that I keep in touch for further opportunities later on. My question is, am I actually expected to respond to this email? Do I reply with the firms I'm joining? Not sure if it's just a thing people say in HR so I was confused 😅

G P

Star Member
    Jul 13, 2020
    Hi there, I wondered whether any ex-graduate recruiters, perhaps @Jessica Booker, could help me with an odd question!? If you are a future trainee, and your firm is supporting you through the PGDL, SQE etc, do you know whether the firm gets to know your exams results before you do? I know that my firm can request my class performance details and exam results from my institution, but just wondered whether they had access to exam results before students themselves. Thank you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I recently withdrew from a recruitment process before the final round interview for a summer analyst role. They had taken quite a while to give any updates after emailing twice, and after signing my vacation scheme offers, there wasn't really any point in waiting. After emailing to withdraw, the HR replied asking where I'd be joining, congratulating me and that I keep in touch for further opportunities later on. My question is, am I actually expected to respond to this email? Do I reply with the firms I'm joining? Not sure if it's just a thing people say in HR so I was confused 😅
    It’s up to you if you want to respond. HR are just trying to work out who they are losing people in their pipeline to, so it’s not an issue really if you tell them or not.

Reactions: summer207

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi there, I wondered whether any ex-graduate recruiters, perhaps @Jessica Booker, could help me with an odd question!? If you are a future trainee, and your firm is supporting you through the PGDL, SQE etc, do you know whether the firm gets to know your exams results before you do? I know that my firm can request my class performance details and exam results from my institution, but just wondered whether they had access to exam results before students themselves. Thank you! :)
    They don’t get them before students. They are usually released at the same time, or grad recruitment get them at a later date.

Reactions: G P

JD

Distinguished Member
    May 1, 2020
    Hi all, I've recently accepted a TC offer and I am due to start the LPC in September. Does anyone have recommendations of roles/things to do before starting the LPC? Most temporary paralegal roles are only looking for people with at least 6 months of availability which I am finding quite limiting. I'd love to know any unique things people did before starting their TC/LPC as I am not so fussed about going into a legal role beforehand. Thanks!
    Why don't you just do some travelling or take self-development courses? It's always good to have something leisurely to do before going to do something intense. Of course, that depends on whether you need funds, then if so try finding any commercial and/or legal role that you feel would help in your professional development.

OliverF77

Dec 23, 2021
    What are people who are without TC/VS this cycle doing afterwards? I know there is still lots of time for TC applications, but trying to assess my options for what to do if I end up without anything and so any advice would be appreciated.

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    I’m a future trainee at white & case and I realise I haven’t been as active on here as I used to be when I didn’t have a TC and I feel bad cause I always wanted to give back. So brief background is that I am an international graduate from Nigeria with like poor initial grades due to ext circumstances but I did go to durham after my undegrad and got a first. Took me 4 years of applying basically from 2017-21 and I got two offers.
    Along the way I did things which I feel helped liked being president of a society, football coaching, warehouse working (lol), being a filmmaker, picking up leadership awards and extra curricular awards, semi-finalist in the aspiring solicitor comm awareness competition twice.. the point is I feel extremely privileged to have gone through all those experiences and I would like to give back by answering any questions you have if any.
    I am also running a startup temporarily (I’ll probably leave when it’s time for TC) so ask away!

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    I’m a future trainee at white & case and I realise I haven’t been as active on here as I used to be when I didn’t have a TC and I feel bad cause I always wanted to give back. So brief background is that I am an international graduate from Nigeria with like poor initial grades due to ext circumstances but I did go to durham after my undegrad and got a first. Took me 4 years of applying basically from 2017-21 and I got two offers.
    Along the way I did things which I feel helped liked being president of a society, football coaching, warehouse working (lol), being a filmmaker, picking up leadership awards and extra curricular awards, semi-finalist in the aspiring solicitor comm awareness competition twice.. the point is I feel extremely privileged to have gone through all those experiences and I would like to give back by answering any questions you have if any.
    I am also running a startup temporarily (I’ll probably leave when it’s time for TC) so ask away!
    Thank you for coming back and sharing this post - Many congratulations on the offer! :)

One thing I would ask is what kept you persisting despite your circumstances? This process can be extremely tiring and demoralising at times so what would you say to someone who has been going through countless cycles and is still persevering despite it all?

Pallatablelawyer

Legendary Member
    Jun 12, 2019
    Thank you for coming back and sharing this post - Many congratulations on the offer! :)

One thing I would ask is what kept you persisting despite your circumstances? This process can be extremely tiring and demoralising at times so what would you say to someone who has been going through countless cycles and is still persevering despite it all?
    Great question! I would say like honestly it’s two parts. One part is telling yourself that you don’t have a choice to succeed .. doesn’t matter how long it takes and how bad things get.. you just don’t have a choice.. so you need to keep pushing despite the doubt, fear and insane aspect of it. The second part is that once you say you have no choice but to succeed the next step is learning about what it takes to be extraordinary and creating the plan to get there and then implementing it. This will usually involve taking stock of what you currently have .. what’s your work experience ? What makes you extraordinary ? Because I honestly believe that you have to be to be part of the final 50 out of 3k applications. But not extraordinary like you’re a CEO at 13 but more so the things you’ve done .. competitions you’ve won etc. Then once you know what you have you need to do research to find out what you need and do everything possible to reach there. For example in 2019 I discovered my comm- awareness was trash .. so I spent a full 365 days reading the FT, watching some guy on YouTube, reading the all you need to know about the city, just so I could win aspiring solicitors.. now I didn’t win but it made me extraordinary in terms of my commercial awareness. So yeah. The reason why this step is critical is that, when applying the amount of apps or time spent on an app does not equal whether or not you get through(certainly in my case). So it would feel extremely demotivating. However the amount spent on trying to become extraordinary directly correlated which becoming more extraordinary and the more extraordinary you become the more of a chance you have at getting a TC (if you’re someone like me who hasn’t proven that extraordinary ability by getting perfect grades at a top uni with ok extracurriculars). Finally the last part, is you HAVE TO have absolute confidence that you are the BEST thing since sliced bread and back yourself the whole way. If you don’t have confidence it will show.. it’s hard to develop confidence but it’s much easier once you’ve achieved so much trying to become extraordinary .. for example I used to be so scared of talking to partners but the second I told myself I’d ad the tool of being a self -starter and begin networking with so many partners and lawyers.. it became so easy to talk to partners as they became peers in my eyes. So my advice is kinda long and like all over the place but I hope I’ve been able to add value.

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    Great question! I would say like honestly it’s two parts. One part is telling yourself that you don’t have a choice to succeed .. doesn’t matter how long it takes and how bad things get.. you just don’t have a choice.. so you need to keep pushing despite the doubt, fear and insane aspect of it. The second part is that once you say you have no choice but to succeed the next step is learning about what it takes to be extraordinary and creating the plan to get there and then implementing it. This will usually involve taking stock of what you currently have .. what’s your work experience ? What makes you extraordinary ? Because I honestly believe that you have to be to be part of the final 50 out of 3k applications. But not extraordinary like you’re a CEO at 13 but more so the things you’ve done .. competitions you’ve won etc. Then once you know what you have you need to do research to find out what you need and do everything possible to reach there. For example in 2019 I discovered my comm- awareness was trash .. so I spent a full 365 days reading the FT, watching some guy on YouTube, reading the all you need to know about the city, just so I could win aspiring solicitors.. now I didn’t win but it made me extraordinary in terms of my commercial awareness. So yeah. The reason why this step is critical is that, when applying the amount of apps or time spent on an app does not equal whether or not you get through(certainly in my case). So it would feel extremely demotivating. However the amount spent on trying to become extraordinary directly correlated which becoming more extraordinary and the more extraordinary you become the more of a chance you have at getting a TC (if you’re someone like me who hasn’t proven that extraordinary ability by getting perfect grades at a top uni with ok extracurriculars). Finally the last part, is you HAVE TO have absolute confidence that you are the BEST thing since sliced bread and back yourself the whole way. If you don’t have confidence it will show.. it’s hard to develop confidence but it’s much easier once you’ve achieved so much trying to become extraordinary .. for example I used to be so scared of talking to partners but the second I told myself I’d ad the tool of being a self -starter and begin networking with so many partners and lawyers.. it became so easy to talk to partners as they became peers in my eyes. So my advice is kinda long and like all over the place but I hope I’ve been able to add value.
    This is incredible advice! As someone who is terrified of messing up my upcoming VS this is such a lovely reminder of my need for self-confidence so thank you for sharing ❤️

Nicole15

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 22, 2018
    You have most certainly added value! Thank you very much for your comprehensive response - I definitely think confidence goes a long way in life generally. Thank you again! I'm going to screenshot this as a reminder to myself. :)

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer

dg_burnham

Jan 31, 2022
    I have an interviewing question I would like to ask.

I have experienced several rejections from firms following the interview phase. The sole reason that each firm has rejected me was that my responses lacked detail.

I would like to ask how I can incorporate more detail into my interview responses? Further, how I can prepare for interviews in a way that would allow me to include more details in my answers?

Reactions: Pallatablelawyer
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.