TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just as a question, does anyone know how accurate the salary reports on Legal Cheek are? There appears to be a discrepancy between them and Chambers Student and was wondering if anyone knew if either were particularly accurate?
Check against Roll on Friday too

Most firms disclose their salaries though, so I would check their websites for specific firm’s trainee/NQ salary.

CMPunkFan99

• Mar 9, 2022
    Hey there guys! I'm a new member here!

I've just joined to ask a simple question regarding vacation scheme communications with the firm. I've been very fortunate to have been offered a place on a vacation scheme with a firm. When I had the phone call, I made sure to thank the graduate recruitment team. I was wondering if I should send a thank you email in writing to the graduate recruitment team as a follow up of sorts?

This is my first vacation scheme offer and I'm not too sure if it's ok to send a thank you email to the graduate recruitment team?? Thanks a lot for the help!!

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021

I've just joined to ask a simple question regarding vacation scheme communications with the firm. I've been very fortunate to have been offered a place on a vacation scheme with a firm. When I had the phone call, I made sure to thank the graduate recruitment team. I was wondering if I should send a thank you email in writing to the graduate recruitment team as a follow up of sorts?

This is my first vacation scheme offer and I'm not too sure if it's ok to send a thank you email to the graduate recruitment team?? Thanks a lot for the help!!
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your VS! I’ve never sent a thank you email after the call, so I don’t think it’s necessary as a follow-up. They usually email the written offer a few days after.

Reactions: CMPunkFan99

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Not a problem at all to send a brief thank you - just keep it to the point, lots of people tend to write these things like they are War and Peace - if it is any more than a few sentences (unless you have questions you want to ask) it will be too long!

Not a problem too if you don't send an email and just said thank you over the phone too though.

Reactions: CMPunkFan99

CMPunkFan99

• Mar 9, 2022
    Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your VS! I’ve never sent a thank you email after the call, so I don’t think it’s necessary as a follow-up. They usually email the written offer a few days after.

Not a problem at all to send a brief thank you - just keep it to the point, lots of people tend to write these things like they are War and Peace - if it is any more than a few sentences (unless you have questions you want to ask) it will be too long!

Not a problem too if you don't send an email and just said thank you over the phone too though.
    Thank you @Jessica Booker and @summer207 !!

Reactions: summer207

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    Hi @Jaysen, hope you're doing well. I found the TCLA podcast very essential in my journey to a TC. I was wondering why it is no longer being produced. Is there a possibility that it may return? I have recommended it to almost everyone I know. So this is also a thank you message for putting it together. Like I said, without the podcast, my journey might have been slightly different. It was inspiring to engage with those stories and very encouraging to realise the non-linear path towards a career in law.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi @Jaysen, hope you're doing well. I found the TCLA podcast very essential in my journey to a TC. I was wondering why it is no longer being produced. Is there a possibility that it may return? I have recommended it to almost everyone I know. So this is also a thank you message for putting it together. Like I said, without the podcast, my journey might have been slightly different. It was inspiring to engage with those stories and very encouraging to realise the non-linear path towards a career in law.
    Wow, that's lovely to hear. Thank you.

It's funny - I always look back on the podcast and see it as a little experiment that didn't work out, but it's really nice to know it did actually have an impact.

Yes, I'm pretty certain it will return because it's aligned with what we're working towards now and it's a way we can impact many people. Unfortunately, I don't have a time frame yet, but I suspect it will be within the next year or two. Some will notice that I am much less active on here, compared to how much I used to be. While this is a shame, the more I can free up my time this way, the more I can work on new things that can add as much value as possible (like a podcast!).

Tony Stark

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 23, 2021
    Wow, that's lovely to hear. Thank you.

It's funny - I always look back on the podcast and see it as a little experiment that didn't work out, but it's really nice to know it did actually have an impact.

Yes, I'm pretty certain it will return because it's aligned with what we're working towards now and it's a way we can impact many people. Unfortunately, I don't have a time frame yet, but I suspect it will be within the next year or two. Some will notice that I am much less active on here, compared to how much I used to be. While this is a shame, the more I can free up my time this way, the more I can work on new things that can add as much value as possible (like a podcast!).
    Not a failed experiment from where I stand. Those stories and the music (lol) came to define parts of my journey. Moreso the difficult ones. I will be very excited when its back. For now, I'll keep recommending it as much as I can. Superb work and hope all you're working on comes to full fruition.

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: George Maxwell, Jaysen and AvniD

John Doe

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 18, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I've got a question: When it comes to city law firms recruiting paralegals, are there any particular periods during the year when law firms need more paralegals? Do law firms have a higher demand for paralegals during certain months of the year and thus create more job openings?

I am currently looking for paralegal opportunities with city law firms and I can only see 2-3 law firms making an opening each week, I wonder if the demands will increase when we get closer to the summer - I need a job! 😂

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I've got a question: When it comes to city law firms recruiting paralegals, are there any particular periods during the year when law firms need more paralegals? Do law firms have a higher demand for paralegals during certain months of the year and thus create more job openings?

I am currently looking for paralegal opportunities with city law firms and I can only see 2-3 law firms making an opening each week, I wonder if the demands will increase when we get closer to the summer - I need a job! 😂
    Typically September and January are the biggest peaks of paralegal recruitment activity. There tends to be more deal activity in the period between September and December, which means teams tend to be busier. Same goes for January to May time too - then with it quieter over the summer.

There will be exceptions to this though - all it takes is for something to come along and a spike in activity and firm will need additional support no matter what.

Reactions: John Doe

John Doe

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 18, 2021
    Typically September and January are the biggest peaks of paralegal recruitment activity. There tends to be more deal activity in the period between September and December, which means teams tend to be busier. Same goes for January to May time too - then with it quieter over the summer.

There will be exceptions to this though - all it takes is for something to come along and a spike in activity and firm will need additional support no matter what.
    Thank you @Jessica Booker! Well, I am a law graduate who didn't have much success with summer vacation scheme applications. Hopefully I will land on a paralegal job soon despite it not being a high season in terms of recruitment :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you @Jessica Booker! Well, I am a law graduate who didn't have much success with summer vacation scheme applications. Hopefully I will land on a paralegal job soon despite it not being a high season in terms of recruitment :)
    Try looking on Lawgazette - Law Gazette Jobs | Jobs | Choose from 4,090 live vacancies

It is good to see which agencies also have a good number of roles too - might be worthwhile registering with them.

LinkedIn in also a great way to find roles, as is inhouselegal on Instagram

Reactions: John Doe

koshka

Premium Member
    Nov 4, 2021
    I was emailed this morning with an invite to a second stage interview on Friday at 10:30am but unfortunately I have a flight around that time so emailed to say I won't be back until later that evening and could I reschedule. I'm feeling slightly stressed that I'm going to damage my chances as I was told by someone that firm has nearly filled all the places on the vac scheme.

I asked if I could reschedule for that evening after 5:30 or the following week and apologised for not being available - do you think I have put myself at a disadvantage?

thirdtimelucky

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 12, 2019
    I was emailed this morning with an invite to a second stage interview on Friday at 10:30am but unfortunately I have a flight around that time so emailed to say I won't be back until later that evening and could I reschedule. I'm feeling slightly stressed that I'm going to damage my chances as I was told by someone that firm has nearly filled all the places on the vac scheme.

I asked if I could reschedule for that evening after 5:30 or the following week and apologised for not being available - do you think I have put myself at a disadvantage?
    Of course it’s up to the firm, sometimes they don’t have the space to rearrange but often firms are very accommodating! You have to be mindful that they may not be able to move your interview slot but just asking will absolutely not damage your chances! Law firms (and grad rec) are human, they understand that things pop up and people will have things that means they cannot attend so I wouldn’t worry if I were you! Also I doubt that moving it to a a lot later in the day or even in the week will damage your chances to get a VS! I hope you hear back with positive news!

• 🏆
    Reactions: AvniD

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    I imagine this depends on the firm, but these days how conservative are firms in regards to dress? Would something like a bracelet be a no-no?
    A bracelet is fine (provided it’s not a huge metal-studded one or something 😝). Most firms are business casual - chinos, a button-up shirt and a nice sweater are fine most days. For any client facing work a full suit will still be necessary.

Reactions: PirateShip
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.