TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker what does 'key' practice area mean? when an interviewer asks about key practice areas, are they referring to all practice areas the firm is active in or the practice areas that bring in the most profit for the firm, are tier 1 ranked practice areas? Thank you

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker what does 'key' practice area mean? when an interviewer asks about key practice areas, are they referring to all practice areas the firm is active in or the practice areas that bring in the most profit for the firm, are tier 1 ranked practice areas? Thank you
It technically could be any practice area that brings in the most revenue (not necessarily profit), where they have the most headcount, or where they are highlighted rated/ranked.

I would probably keep in it mind as practice areas you are most likely to sit in as a trainee (for the purposes of the interview).

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
It technically could be any practice area that brings in the most revenue (not necessarily profit), where they have the most headcount, or where they are highlighted rated/ranked.

I would probably keep in it mind as practice areas you are most likely to sit in as a trainee (for the purposes of the interview).
Thanks a lot Jessica :)

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , for the question "Select three key skills that you believe are critical to the role of a commercial lawyer. How have you developed these skills? (300 words max) " , can one of these three skills be "legal research". I have a strong example to back why I think legal research is an important skill but it feels rather stupid since legal research is a fairly obvious skill to do your job well as a lawyer.

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , for the question "Select three key skills that you believe are critical to the role of a commercial lawyer. How have you developed these skills? (300 words max) " , can one of these three skills be "legal research". I have a strong example to back why I think legal research is an important skill but it feels rather stupid since legal research is a fairly obvious skill to do your job well as a lawyer.
That is fine - I think any skill highlighted would be obvious ones if they are critical to the job. It’s about picking the ones you think are most critical - so explain why it is so important and then also the evidence of how you have showcased it.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

ds

Standard Member
Nov 7, 2022
hi, what is the time of year for the paralegal applications window? and how do I go about preparing/ applying? also how far ahead do they recruit? :)

I have had applied for VSs and TCs before but never paralegal roles

sorry so many questions!

jo123

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Nov 29, 2019
    I was wondering if anyone has advice ono building a relationship with a mentor?
    Apart from application/ TC help, I'm not too sure what to ask them. I think it would be a good networking opportunity and to know someone well in the industry but don't know how to approach it.

Aga123+

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    I was wondering if anyone has advice ono building a relationship with a mentor?
    Apart from application/ TC help, I'm not too sure what to ask them. I think it would be a good networking opportunity and to know someone well in the industry but don't know how to approach it.
    Not sure if this is a mentor within commercial law, but one suggestion is to ask whether they would be open to discussing commercial awareness topics with you. For example, you could raise a current topic you would like to discuss and then pose questions regarding the general, legal and commercial consequences of the topic. It would also allow you to learn more about their practice area/work at the firm. :)

• Love
    Reactions: jo123

jo123

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Nov 29, 2019
    Not sure if this is a mentor within commercial law, but one suggestion is to ask whether they would be open to discussing commercial awareness topics with you. For example, you could raise a current topic you would like to discuss and then pose questions regarding the general, legal and commercial consequences of the topic. It would also allow you to learn more about their practice area/work at the firm. :)
    ahh thats a good idea, thank you!

Reactions: Aga123+

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker when an interviewer asks "what differentiates us from our competitors" does that translate into "why do you want to work for us"? Thanks :)
    I think it has to be broader than that. You can emphasise certain points that are of particular interest to you, and frame it as “what differentiates you from my perspective is…” but I think it’s important to ensure there are elements that are more as to how the firm markets/positions itself rather than just why it would appeal to someone wanting to be a trainee.

jesspeters789

Mar 18, 2023
    I am wondering if anyone has any insight into this. I have a TC at a regional office starting September but I am fairly sure that when I qualify in 2025, I want to work in the firms London office and move there. Will this be possible or will I have to apply to their London office as an external applicant?

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 8, 2019
    I think it has to be broader than that. You can emphasise certain points that are of particular interest to you, and frame it as “what differentiates you from my perspective is…” but I think it’s important to ensure there are elements that are more as to how the firm markets/positions itself rather than just why it would appeal to someone wanting to be a trainee.
    Thank you Jessica :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am wondering if anyone has any insight into this. I have a TC at a regional office starting September but I am fairly sure that when I qualify in 2025, I want to work in the firms London office and move there. Will this be possible or will I have to apply to their London office as an external applicant?
    Many firms will say you have to reapply for the London office.

Regional offices unfortunately have this happen too much, and so they tend to be fairly strict on the process, as ultimately you didn’t apply to the London opportunity and we’re assessed on the basis of joining the regional office (for instance you were most likely assessed by regional partners).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker which points should one touch on when introducing in a CV-blind interview? And when asked about differences from competitors is it enough to mention one point?
    I would mention more than one point when discussing what makes the firm different than competitors - realistically you probably want to aim for three points if you can.

In terms of introducing yourself in a CV blind interview, I would still take a “elevator pitch” approach to this. Focus on what are your USPS/points you really want the interviewer to remember about you.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.