TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

Momo

Esteemed Member
Nov 21, 2022
I d like to ask another question if I may @Jessica Booker, for White & Case direct TC, it is non-rolling basis but after the deadline, does the grad recruitment team review the applications on a rolling basis or do they read all applications submitted and then decide which to shortlist? I am afraid if I sent in an application just 1-2 weeks before the deadline, it might be risky.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I d like to ask another question if I may @Jessica Booker, for White & Case direct TC, it is non-rolling basis but after the deadline, does the grad recruitment team review the applications on a rolling basis or do they read all applications submitted and then decide which to shortlist? I am afraid if I sent in an application just 1-2 weeks before the deadline, it might be risky.
If the recruitment is non-rolling at the application stage, it won’t matter when you apply.

JD

Distinguished Member
May 1, 2020
Those who are lpc grads and are law/gdl grads that have done the SQE 2 exams or are currently doing the prep course (particularly at Uni of Law), how have you found the course in general in terms of difficulty?

And is worth doing the full SQE course due to legal knowledge needed from the core areas that the scenarios for the SQE2 exam are based on (I.e. Criminal, Land, Wills etc) despite being exempt or is the SQE 2 prep course just needed?

And are there any revisions guides like lpc buddy or law answered that you can get for the SQE?

Haven’t seen much feedback out there re SQE 2 so any advice would be much appreciated.

Please pm me if you do

Can @Jessica Booker or anyone else help?

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker. Hope you are well. I was filling out the BM app and one thing has been bothering me. For the question 'Law firms are all different - tell us about three things, that you feel differentiate Baker McKenzie from other leading firms and encouraged you to apply? (300 words max) *' , should we only talk about meatier things like the work BM does? Or can our answer also include things like culture and D&I initiatives? My current answer includes BM's cross-border element, its culture and its D&I initiatives. Can I keep these three things in my answer or should I get rid of "softer" things like culture and D&I initiatives given that this is the only BM specific question on the app. The rest don't involve BM at all.

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, @Jessica Booker. Hope you are well. I was filling out the BM app and one thing has been bothering me. For the question 'Law firms are all different - tell us about three things, that you feel differentiate Baker McKenzie from other leading firms and encouraged you to apply? (300 words max) *' , should we only talk about meatier things like the work BM does? Or can our answer also include things like culture and D&I initiatives? My current answer includes BM's cross-border element, its culture and its D&I initiatives. Can I keep these three things in my answer or should I get rid of "softer" things like culture and D&I initiatives given that this is the only BM specific question on the app. The rest don't involve BM at all.

Thanks.
The key to this is choosing things that encouraged you to apply - it doesn’t really matter what they are as long as you can differentiate Bakers from other firms. For instance, why are the D&I elements important to you and why are their D&I aspect different to other firms.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
The key to this is choosing things that encouraged you to apply - it doesn’t really matter what they are as long as you can differentiate Bakers from other firms. For instance, why are the D&I elements important to you and why are their D&I aspect different to other firms.
Thank you so much. Just one follow-up question, do we need to allocate similar word count for all three things or can they all be of as many words as we like?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much. Just one follow-up question, do we need to allocate similar word count for all three things or can they all be of as many words as we like?
It doesn’t need to be exact, but I would ensure you are explaining each point well. Having a very detailed explanation for one point could be at cost of the detail/substance of the others. You need to cover why that point is important to you and why Bakers is different from other firms that could also claim the same point.

• ℹ️

-as-above-so-below-

Standard Member
May 30, 2022
Hello, everyone! Last week I succeeded in securing a VS but I still haven't made a LinkedIn post about it because I am unsure if it is appropriate to mention and tag the partners who interviewed me. I feel like I was able to build rapport with all of them but it feels somewhat intrusive. What is the etiquette and what would you advise me?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, everyone! Last week I succeeded in securing a VS but I still haven't made a LinkedIn post about it because I am unsure if it is appropriate to mention and tag the partners who interviewed me. I feel like I was able to build rapport with all of them but it feels somewhat intrusive. What is the etiquette and what would you advise me?
You can make the post, but I wouldn't tag partners in the post. Announcing it is enough - if you want to thank them, thank them privately via PM or email rather than stating it so publicly.

Reactions: -as-above-so-below-

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I am applying to BM and they are rolling (deadline being April 1). My app is almost ready and I might submit it in 2-3 days. I had also contacted a trainee from BM who has just gotten back to me. She has agreed to speak to me over Zoom next Wednesday. I think by talking to her, I can maybe get a deeper insight into something and maybe that can strengthen my app but conscious of the fact that BM are rolling, I feel submitting a week earlier would be more advantageous. Can you please suggest what I should do? Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. I am applying to BM and they are rolling (deadline being April 1). My app is almost ready and I might submit it in 2-3 days. I had also contacted a trainee from BM who has just gotten back to me. She has agreed to speak to me over Zoom next Wednesday. I think by talking to her, I can maybe get a deeper insight into something and maybe that can strengthen my app but conscious of the fact that BM are rolling, I feel submitting a week earlier would be more advantageous. Can you please suggest what I should do? Thanks.
A week won’t make any difference unless it was the last week of the application window. I think you will be more than fine to wait.

• ℹ️

RawrDinosaur

Premium Member
Dec 7, 2022
Hi all,

I've been offered two first year schemes that occur on the same dates and had a few questions.

One of them is DLA Piper and on their website it is mentioned that 'Through participating in the Insight Programme you will have the opportunity to make a priority application for the firm's Summer Internship at any of the UK offices where this is offered.'

Does anyone (preferably someone who did their insight programme last year) know what the implications of this are regarding fast-tracking to vacation schemes? The other firm explicitly states that I can skip their SJT and the application goes straight to the review stage.

Secondly, does declining a firm when they make you an offer jeopardize future chances with them? And how do you go about this - is it better to be explicit (I have another scheme I have already agreed to and thus cannot attend with you?) or does being vague (prior personal reasons) make you sound less rude?

Thanks a lot, would really appreciate any help :))

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

I've been offered two first year schemes that occur on the same dates and had a few questions.

One of them is DLA Piper and on their website it is mentioned that 'Through participating in the Insight Programme you will have the opportunity to make a priority application for the firm's Summer Internship at any of the UK offices where this is offered.'

Does anyone (preferably someone who did their insight programme last year) know what the implications of this are regarding fast-tracking to vacation schemes? The other firm explicitly states that I can skip their SJT and the application goes straight to the review stage.

Secondly, does declining a firm when they make you an offer jeopardize future chances with them? And how do you go about this - is it better to be explicit (I have another scheme I have already agreed to and thus cannot attend with you?) or does being vague (prior personal reasons) make you sound less rude?

Thanks a lot, would really appreciate any help :))
I have replied in the other thread.

Lawyerwithadream

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jul 8, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker what does 'key' practice area mean? when an interviewer asks about key practice areas, are they referring to all practice areas the firm is active in or the practice areas that bring in the most profit for the firm, are tier 1 ranked practice areas? Thank you

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.