Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are well. Is it okay to use the acronym 'D&I' in our app? Or should we use '(D/d)iversity (and/&) (I/i)nclusion' instead? Thanks.
D&I is commonly used enough that the acronym is fine. If you are referring to something the firm does, just double check this is the acronym they use as there are a lots of similar acronyms (ED&I for instance).

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
D&I is commonly used enough that the acronym is fine. If you are referring to something the firm does, just double check this is the acronym they use as there are a lots of similar acronyms (ED&I for instance).
I am making a broad claim about the firm's D&I efforts but I just figured that they use I&D instead. Should I use I&D too, even though I am not referring to something specific that the firm does in that sentence?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am making a broad claim about the firm's D&I efforts but I just figured that they use I&D instead. Should I use I&D too, even though I am not referring to something specific that the firm does in that sentence?
If the firm uses I&D then I would use that instead.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker if I misunderstood something in a case study and was then questioned if that’s really the meaning and I then changed my response since I my initial understanding was wrong - will that be a major issue when deciding on making an offer?
No - this is very common. Being flexible when you need to correct your thinking is an important skill to have as a trainee

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker would I need to send a thank you email to my interviewer or is it at least advisable?
There is no need to do this.

If they have given you their email, then a short and polite email could be sent, but you don’t have to.

If they haven’t given you their contact details, then you definitely don’t need to email them, although some people track down their contact details and will send an email (and that is fine to do so).

Reactions: Lawyerwithadream

Aspiringtc

Mar 11, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker , hope you’re well! I was just wondering if you had any advice on how best to structure a 10 minute presentation as part of a VS interview?
I want to make sure I am being clear and concise, but also showing that I’m able to delve into the topic in detail - I am just struggling to find the best way to balance this and construct my script/PowerPoint accordingly.
I would be incredibly grateful for any insight or tips you could provide! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker if two people completed an AC on the same day and only one received an offer so far, does that mean that the other has been unsuccessful if they have not heard back yet?
No. There are a whole host of reasons why the other person hasn’t heard back but could still be successful.

Reactions: Lawyerscup

alex2202

Standard Member
Oct 18, 2022
Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question on, but I am in my second year of Law and I have to pick my optional modules for my final year. Part of this means deciding between doing a Dissertation (which takes up 2 modules) or a smaller research project (which only takes up 1). I was wondering if anyone has any experiences or opinions of doing a Dissertation - is it something you regret? Would you have rather taken another taught module? Was it worth it? Is it something that helped you in your future career/ when applying for jobs?

I was also wondering @Jessica Booker from the perspective of a law firm, do you think a Dissertation would be a lot more valuable in the long term when applying to VSs and TCs? Is this something law firms care about? Will I be disadvantaged if I have not done a dissertation as part of my undergrad?

We also are given the option to take a Modern Foreign Language module as an open unit. I was wondering how Language modules were seen by employers? Would it be seen as a waste to take a language module instead of another taught law module?

Thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, I’m not sure if this is the right thread to ask this question on, but I am in my second year of Law and I have to pick my optional modules for my final year. Part of this means deciding between doing a Dissertation (which takes up 2 modules) or a smaller research project (which only takes up 1). I was wondering if anyone has any experiences or opinions of doing a Dissertation - is it something you regret? Would you have rather taken another taught module? Was it worth it? Is it something that helped you in your future career/ when applying for jobs?

I was also wondering @Jessica Booker from the perspective of a law firm, do you think a Dissertation would be a lot more valuable in the long term when applying to VSs and TCs? Is this something law firms care about? Will I be disadvantaged if I have not done a dissertation as part of my undergrad?

We also are given the option to take a Modern Foreign Language module as an open unit. I was wondering how Language modules were seen by employers? Would it be seen as a waste to take a language module instead of another taught law module?

Thank you in advance!
Generally it really won’t have any impact whether you choose a dissertation or not. Same goes for the language module - the only way I can see this being an easy option is if you have studied the language already or have a level of fluency in it already. It won’t be seen as a waste - most law firms recruit non-law grads, so doing a non-law module is not going to be an issue generally.

The only impact I can see it having is grades or if you wanted to go into a very specific niche in law.

If you are not great at research projects, then I would avoid a dissertation purely to ensure you can achieve the best grade possible (the module grade is likely to have more impact than topic, but even then it is small impact).

If you really wanted to get into a niche in law, then doing your dissertation on that niche could set you up well to pursue it later on, but again the impact would be just one minor contributor rather than anything that would define the rest of your career.

alex2202

Standard Member
Oct 18, 2022
Generally it really won’t have any impact whether you choose a dissertation or not. Same goes for the language module - the only way I can see this being an easy option is if you have studied the language already or have a level of fluency in it already. It won’t be seen as a waste - most law firms recruit non-law grads, so doing a non-law module is not going to be an issue generally.

The only impact I can see it having is grades or if you wanted to go into a very specific niche in law.

If you are not great at research projects, then I would avoid a dissertation purely to ensure you can achieve the best grade possible (the module is likely to have more impact, but even then it is small impact).

If you really wanted to get into a niche in law, then doing your dissertation on that niche could set you up well to pursue it later on, but again the impact would be just one minor contributor rather than anything that would define the rest of your career.
Great, thank you! That was really helpful

louanna

Standard Member
Mar 26, 2023
Hi @Jessica Booker I graduated with a Bachelor of Civil Law degree from university in Ireland. I have taken all core subjects for an English qualifying law degree with the exception of Equity & Trusts. Do you know if I would be able to skip the PGDL even if firms require it and start with the SQE instead? I understand that Equity & Trusts is examined at SQE1 so it would seem futile and time consuming to take the subject as part of the PGDL and again in the SQE. Would it be ok to proceed with TC applications on the basis that I have a qualifying law degree?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker I graduated with a Bachelor of Civil Law degree from university in Ireland. I have taken all core subjects for an English qualifying law degree with the exception of Equity & Trusts. Do you know if I would be able to skip the PGDL even if firms require it and start with the SQE instead? I understand that Equity & Trusts is examined at SQE1 so it would seem futile and time consuming to take the subject as part of the PGDL and again in the SQE. Would it be ok to proceed with TC applications on the basis that I have a qualifying law degree?
You don’t have a qualifying law degree for England and Wales so you can’t declare that. However, you may find that firms don’t think it is necessary for you to complete the GDL - even in the old qualification system you would have had exemptions for most of the GDL modules, and so wouldn’t have had to do a full course, just the missing modules. Therefore you may find firms are willing to offer you a TC on the basis that you don’t need to do the GDL. You should clarify with each firm you want to apply to about this.

louanna

Standard Member
Mar 26, 2023
You don’t have a qualifying law degree for England and Wales so you can’t declare that. However, you may find that firms don’t think it is necessary for you to complete the GDL - even in the old qualification system you would have had exemptions for most of the GDL modules, and so wouldn’t have had to do a full course, just the missing modules. Therefore you may find firms are willing to offer you a TC on the basis that you don’t need to do the GDL. You should clarify with each firm you want to apply to about this.
Thanks Jessica for your response. Apologies, I shouldn't have said whether I could proceed with TC applications on the basis that I have a qualifying law but rather could I proceed on the basis that I am a law graduate as opposed to a non law graduate.

For example the 2024 Training Contract application at Greenberg Truarig requires applicants to either be a law graduate or a non-law graduate who has already completed the PGDL. I have reached out to grad recruitment to confirm whether I would be eligible to apply but I have not heard anything back.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.