TCLA General Discussion Thread 2022-23

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Hi,

I hope you are all well!

I have a situation at hand, and I was hoping that I could get some advice for my current situation. I have been applying for VS/TCs since my second year at university which was the 2019-2020 application cycle and after many years of painful rejections, I am so thankful I have received a TC offer recently. I applied to this firm’s 2024 intake, however, when I got my offer call Grad Rec informed me that they could only give me a place on the 2025 intake as the places were filled for 2024. I asked the Grad Rec team member if it was possible to keep me under consideration in case anyone wanted to defer their TC so I could take their place for 2024 but I was told this won't happen/ would be highly unlikely.

Whilst I am so incredibly thankful for the offer, I just have a feeling that I am falling behind (I have had such a feeling since my 3rd year at a very competitive Russel Group uni, most of my friends were given TCs at Uni or right after (deservedly so for each of them!) compared to myself who has already spent 2 years following my undergrad being a paralegal and will have to wait another 2 years to even start my TC. I have this fear that I am getting old, and I have not accomplished anything yet. I am nearly 23 now and will be 25 when I begin my TC. I know some people start their TCs at that age or even older, but I think the key difference is that all these people have amazing experiences/accomplishments under their belt. Whereas I feel like I have done nothing with my life other than study and then pursue a TC relentlessly.

So, I still have another year of work ahead of me and then another year doing the SQE. Since I cannot change this situation, I am hoping to take up hobbies and even learn a new language in this ‘gap year’ but the fear of falling behind remains present. How can I shift my mindset?
    I'm turning 26 next month and don't start my TC until 2024 so definitely with you on feeling old/comparing myself to peers who have already qualified! But I'm facing about 6 months of freedom if all goes well with SQE exams before I start and lots of my friends who went straight into their TCs are so envious of it! Quite a few who rush into TCs end up taking long periods of leave after qualifying/quit the law altogether etc. We're all on similar paths but we'll get there in the end :)

legally confused

Standard Member
    Jun 15, 2021
    I'm turning 26 next month and don't start my TC until 2024 so definitely with you on feeling old/comparing myself to peers who have already qualified! But I'm facing about 6 months of freedom if all goes well with SQE exams before I start and lots of my friends who went straight into their TCs are so envious of it! Quite a few who rush into TCs end up taking long periods of leave after qualifying/quit the law altogether etc. We're all on similar paths but we'll get there in the end :)
    That's a really good outlook to look at it as freedom/taking your time rather than rushing into it- thank you!!! Wishing you all the best with your SQE exams and your TC🤞 🎉

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020
    Hi,

I hope you are all well!

I have a situation at hand, and I was hoping that I could get some advice for my current situation. I have been applying for VS/TCs since my second year at university which was the 2019-2020 application cycle and after many years of painful rejections, I am so thankful I have received a TC offer recently. I applied to this firm’s 2024 intake, however, when I got my offer call Grad Rec informed me that they could only give me a place on the 2025 intake as the places were filled for 2024. I asked the Grad Rec team member if it was possible to keep me under consideration in case anyone wanted to defer their TC so I could take their place for 2024 but I was told this won't happen/ would be highly unlikely.

Whilst I am so incredibly thankful for the offer, I just have a feeling that I am falling behind (I have had such a feeling since my 3rd year at a very competitive Russel Group uni, most of my friends were given TCs at Uni or right after (deservedly so for each of them!) compared to myself who has already spent 2 years following my undergrad being a paralegal and will have to wait another 2 years to even start my TC. I have this fear that I am getting old, and I have not accomplished anything yet. I am nearly 23 now and will be 25 when I begin my TC. I know some people start their TCs at that age or even older, but I think the key difference is that all these people have amazing experiences/accomplishments under their belt. Whereas I feel like I have done nothing with my life other than study and then pursue a TC relentlessly.

So, I still have another year of work ahead of me and then another year doing the SQE. Since I cannot change this situation, I am hoping to take up hobbies and even learn a new language in this ‘gap year’ but the fear of falling behind remains present. How can I shift my mindset?
    I will qualify at 32. You’re not falling behind!

mahnoorf

Jul 2, 2023
    Hey everyone,

Here is the master thread for all general discussions in the 2022-23 cycle. This is often best suited for discussions that do not fit into either the vacation scheme or direct training contract application queries.

Useful links to other threads:
    TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (for vacation scheme applicants)
    TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (for direct training contract applicants)
    TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1) | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (last cycle's general discussion thread)

Many thanks

Jess
    Hello where is the link to the TCLA podcast please?

mahnoorf

Jul 2, 2023
    Hey everyone,

Here is the master thread for all general discussions in the 2022-23 cycle. This is often best suited for discussions that do not fit into either the vacation scheme or direct training contract application queries.

Useful links to other threads:
    TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (for vacation scheme applicants)
    TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23 | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (for direct training contract applicants)
    TCLA General Discussion Thread 2021-22 (#1) | The Corporate Law Academy Forum (last cycle's general discussion thread)

Many thanks

Jess
    Hello where is the link to the TCLA podcast please?

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    Hi there - has anyone else been having difficulty getting a CAS from BPP for the PGDL once you have submitted all your passport/visa information to them? Please DM me if you have a similar situation

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Hi,

I hope you are all well!

Hey @legally confused,

I am so sorry you are feeling this way, but, as the above responses from other members of the community have reinforced, you have nothing to fear! I have three bits of advice for you :)

First, I want to congratulate you on achieving that TC - that was the biggest feat and you have done it! Do not let anything diminish that achievement - not age, anyone else’s opinion, nothing. I would be saying the same thing if you were 50 and thinking of a career change.

Second, there were a number of individuals on my LPC you came to the table after 1, 2 or even 3 career changes. Not everyone comes to the table at 18, 19 or 20 years old knowing that a career in law is for them (in fact, very few people do). People realise their skill set or interests lie elsewhere, which is both natural, normal and understandable. I certainly do not know exactly what I want to do until the day I retire! So, what you will find is substantial fluctuations of age in TC cohorts, because everyone has a different journey. You are all, in reality, at the same stage in your career, regardless of your age. Indeed, age is just a number (as my mother likes to say haha!).

Third, some time off is never not good for you. I have had to take 6 months off before my TC because every cohort starts in August. Initially, I was wary because I did not know how to pass the time. I am very much a person who loves to be doing something always. As you can see, 5 months later, I have joined the fantastic TCLA team. However, I have also read 10 books, been able to travel, spent time with my boyfriend and my mum and sister, started looking after my mental health by running, spinning and going to the gym. You catch my drift. I have taken the time to set myself up properly for the gruelling hours and hard work of the TC before I start. I am SO glad I had the 6 months and if I had more time, I would do even more (I had promised to learn a language but alas… books got in the way).

Take some time to look after yourself and realise that everything typically happens for a reason (I am big into manifestation haha). I am telling you you will come back to this forum in a few years after the SQE shouting from the rooftops thanking GR for the time off :).

Do keep in touch and keep us updated on your journey please!

Hope that helps :)

Laura

Reactions: legally confused

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Hi everyone, I am a paralegal and I am thinking about resigning and apply for a different position. My current notice period is one month. From my understanding, there will probably be quite a few openings for a September start as future trainees leave their position. Does anyone know when will these positions open and whether it would be too early for me to apply for positions that are open for applications now considering my notice period?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi everyone, I am a paralegal and I am thinking about resigning and apply for a different position. My current notice period is one month. From my understanding, there will probably be quite a few openings for a September start as future trainees leave their position. Does anyone know when will these positions open and whether it would be too early for me to apply for positions that are open for applications now considering my notice period?
    I wouldn’t resign until you have a job offer - a lot of paralegal roles could wait a month for someone to join them - would only be interim roles that can have an immediate need for someone to join, and in that instance I wouldn’t suggest giving up a permanent job for a temp one.

Reactions: eleven14og

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    I wouldn’t resign until you have a job offer - a lot of paralegal roles could wait a month for someone to join them - would only be interim roles that can have an immediate need for someone to join, and in that instance I wouldn’t suggest giving up a permanent job for a temp one.
    Thank you Jessica. I am currently on Graduate Visa with around a year and a half left so I will mainly apply for FTC roles. One other problem is that my probation will end this month. Upon passing my probation, my notice period will be three months instead of one. So I am thinking about resigning now to avoid the 3-month notice period.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you Jessica. I am currently on Graduate Visa with around a year and a half left so I will mainly apply for FTC roles. One other problem is that my probation will end this month. Upon passing my probation, my notice period will be three months instead of one. So I am thinking about resigning now to avoid the 3-month notice period.
    You could do this - I just think there is a gamble with doing this. You may find getting another role difficult or have a period when you are not employed, but at the same time being on three months' notice and only on a graduate visa means it would be tricky to move roles too.

If you can afford to be unemployed for a period of time, then consider it. Why do you want to leave your current role though?

Reactions: laurabeaumont

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    You could do this - I just think there is a gamble with doing this. You may find getting another role difficult or have a period when you are not employed, but at the same time being on three months' notice and only on a graduate visa means it would be tricky to move roles too.

If you can afford to be unemployed for a period of time, then consider it. Why do you want to leave your current role though?
    Thanks Jessica. Can I DM you with the reasons I want to leave?

a2931

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 1, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you're doing well.

I wanted to ask - are there any threads/posts on TCLA which explain how you should refer to a vac scheme when applying for TCs/vac schemes in your next round? I'm really quite unsure about how (if at all) I should mention the name, the extent to which we should discuss the scheme vs other work experience, and how much we should relate that firm to the firm I'm applying to. (For context, I did my vac scheme at a very international firm, and I'm thinking about writing that this confirmed to me (alongside the work I did there) my desire for a very international environment - but I'm worried that grad recruitment may just think then that I don't seem as interested in their firm as the one I did my vac scheme at.)

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Reactions: laurabeaumont

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.